F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Pages: 1
Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Tropical Cyclone Clare
      #64458 - Tue Jan 10 2006 06:30 PM

Since there's nothing going on here I figured I'd bring this up. On the NW side of Australia there was a tropical cyclone that made landfall yesterday. Everywhere I went, like the navy site, weather underground, Accuweather, it says this was a strong tropical storm at most with 70 mph winds. I was looking at the sat images of it and thinking to myself there’s no way this is only a tropical storm. Then I found this Australian weather site, weatherzone.com.au, and it had a lot more info on the cyclone including that this was a cat 3 storm with 190 kph(118 mph) winds and a central pressure of 960 mb. The site looks pretty credible so I just wonder what’s going on here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Myles]
      #64464 - Thu Jan 12 2006 07:05 PM

I took a look at the site...and the storm. The site is not official - and the Cyclone was certainly not Cat III. Clare peaked at 09/0000Z with sustained winds of 60 kts and gusts to 75kts, i.e., a strong tropical storm. Follow-on news reports from Perth indicated nothing unusual about Clare (except that Perth was likely to exceed its normal January rainfall total in one day).

I cross-checked against the storm bulletins (courtesy of the University of Hawaii) and found a maximum of 60G75kts. A check of satellite imagery from NRL showed that Clare never formed an eye, so even minimal sustained hurricane strength was not likely.
Hope this helps.
ED

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Myles]
      #64465 - Thu Jan 12 2006 11:51 PM

Some of the confusion may be a result of the different scale that the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) uses to represent the severity of a given tropical cyclone. A category 3 cyclone on their scale corresponds to what we call a category 1 hurricane. Specifically, wind gusts of 170 km/hr translate to gusts of about 106mph, or sustained winds of 75mph (40% reduction). I believe that the BoM advisories -- which differ from the JTWC (and other tropical warning center) advisories -- classified Clare as a "Severe Tropical Cyclone," which is our equivalent of a hurricane, a minimal one in this case.

More information is available at http://www.bom.gov.au/catalogue/warnings/WarningsInformation_TC_Ed.shtml

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: Tropical Cyclone Clare [Re: Clark]
      #64466 - Fri Jan 13 2006 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info. It makes sense that it was a strong tropical storm or a minimal hurricane. I thought everyone used the Saffir-Simpson scale, but I was obviously wrong. I wonder what the 960 number repersented. Im trying to find out what the unit was but I thought it was equal to a millibar. Obviously wrong here too, just another difference in what unit system countries use.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5521

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center