F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: LoisCane]
      #87684 - Thu Jun 24 2010 02:26 AM

I keep staring at that loop. I still don't see a vortex. I see quite a bit of disorganized convection, but nothing else.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: Hugh]
      #87685 - Thu Jun 24 2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

I keep staring at that loop. I still don't see a vortex. I see quite a bit of disorganized convection, but nothing else.

Take the visible loop from the floater. Then look at only the first 9 images. Rock them back and forth and I THINK I see a bit of a spin directly southwest of Jamaica and appearing to move wsw away from it. Is that the western one?

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

hogrunr
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Spring, TX
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #87686 - Thu Jun 24 2010 03:27 AM

Take a look at the RGB below before the day/night transition...To me, the RGB is always the easiest image to see the LLC on.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-rgb.html

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: hogrunr]
      #87687 - Thu Jun 24 2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the RGB below before the day/night transition...To me, the RGB is always the easiest image to see the LLC on.

Yeah....when I said the 'first 9 images' above, those are all the images before the night line comes across. It is there. Just not much around it yet.

--------------------

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #87688 - Thu Jun 24 2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah....when I said the 'first 9 images' above, those are all the images before the night line comes across. It is there. Just not much around it yet.

Well, I *now* see a spin... SOUTHEAST of Jamaica... just offshore. Southwest, I see clear skies, with absolutely zero rotation. I see the exact same feature no matter which satellite I look at

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #87689 - Thu Jun 24 2010 12:31 PM

The interesting thing about the area southeast of Jamaica, is that it may wind up taking over. It could even be considered a new possible invest area (It's not really even the same wave), but I'm not sure how that would be handled -- probably just continuing as 93

If this area kicks up then it changes things as far as the track discussed in the article.

Mostly it means the model runs this morning are all but worthless... again.

Also the recon flight for today has been canceled.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: MikeC]
      #87690 - Thu Jun 24 2010 12:50 PM

If it's not even the same wave then I'm totally lost, because right now, that's all that is left of whatever 93L once was. Then again, I'm not seeing the conducive condtions that the NHC says are present, either - I see a lot of shear.

This might still develop, but I'm thinking the probability is closer to 5% than the 40% the NHC places on it.

--------------------
Hugh

jasonch
Unregistered

#87691 - Thu Jun 24 2010 01:26 PM

I realy don't see what the big deal is. I know the models are saying something is going to develope but i just don't see it. To much shear. Alot of times when there is talk of something that will develope and it constantly has problems doing so most cases it don't. Even it it does develope it will probably be just before it crosses the yucatan and then all bets are off because it will be on land. I give a 0% chance of develping. I certainly don't see a cat 2 hurricane.

stormtiger
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La.
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: Unregistered User]
      #87692 - Thu Jun 24 2010 01:34 PM

This morning it looks less organized and that the thunderstorm activity is more scattered than it has been.

The rotation I saw yesterday around 17/79.5 appears to be gone although it's kind of early to tell, but there certainly isn't any weather there.

There are reasons storms seldom form in the central Carribean and there are reasons storms don't form often in June. I guess we're seeing why.

Several models had this thing taking off, but the GFS had it doing zilch. It looks like the GFS was right.

hogrunr
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Spring, TX
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: MikeC]
      #87693 - Thu Jun 24 2010 02:07 PM Attachment (171 downloads)

Quote:

The interesting thing about the area southeast of Jamaica, is that it may wind up taking over. It could even be considered a new possible invest area (It's not really even the same wave), but I'm not sure how that would be handled -- probably just continuing as 93

If this area kicks up then it changes things as far as the track discussed in the article.

Mostly it means the model runs this morning are all but worthless... again.

Also the recon flight for today has been canceled.

Attached a picture showing the area of spin that is present today. It is embedded in the largest areas of convection for now. There is some shear present, but according to CIMSS , it's only under about 10 knots, which is pretty low. There is higher shear to the north, but as the NHC keeps saying, it is forecast to improve.

I think this wave, or multiple waves, however you want to look at it, has been a nightmare for people looking at it, let alone the models. All of the models are still initializing much to far south and west for the are of spin that is present this morning.

Also, a drastic increase in vorticity is present where the new area of spin is located.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-...zoom=&time=

Edited by hogrunr (Thu Jun 24 2010 02:09 PM)

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: hogrunr]
      #87694 - Thu Jun 24 2010 02:44 PM

This morning I had to leave the floater and just zoom in from the caribbean sector to that area east of Jamaica. Lots of chaos going on in there and tough to see any patterns. I see the spin south east of Jamaica, but it doesn't seem to be persisting in the later frames. Impressive convection due south of Haiti and something could certainly be cooking beneath that. Overall, though I have to agree with those here that are not impressed with this system overall. It is really having a tough time getting going although it isn't going away any time soon.

--------------------

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #87695 - Thu Jun 24 2010 03:56 PM

There is definitely spin at 16n76w on the CIMSS visible satellite

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real-...0000&loop=0

The thing that has been missing all along is vorticity. Everything else seems to be in place. If it can get some spin and convection then I think it should develop. The problem is the system cant get vertically stacked

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: WeatherNut]
      #87696 - Thu Jun 24 2010 04:57 PM

The only low level spin is a very broad spin that seems centered very near the coast of Houduras/ Nicuragua. Otherwise it seems to be an open but active wave with an excellent signature.

--------------------
doug

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: WeatherNut]
      #87697 - Thu Jun 24 2010 04:57 PM

There is nothing @ the surface or close to the surface east of Jamaica.. 93L is SW of there moving slowly W with no convection around the LLC with a trough extending south of there. Everything E and SE of Jamaica is in the midlevels.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: doug]
      #87698 - Thu Jun 24 2010 05:36 PM Attachment (160 downloads)

Quote:

The only low level spin is a very broad spin that seems centered very near the coast of Houduras/ Nicuragua. Otherwise it seems to be an open but active wave with an excellent signature.

agree... i attached a image to what i see... I'm dropping my chances on 93L... due to it being close to the coast... and i still see some shear to the NW of surface area.... but the overall pattern of the surface area i have been tracking is much easier to define then the last two days... I am starting to think we will get a second area of this wave to the north or maybe into the GOM.. some piece of energy will spit off this wave and form in NW Carib.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-vis.html

PS: i'm still puzzled by the lastest run of the 12Z GFDL ( 12z run )... is still throwing the system up the the central GOM...

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Thu Jun 24 2010 05:45 PM)

Hawkeyewx
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #87699 - Thu Jun 24 2010 07:21 PM

The surface spin off the coast of Honduras/Nicaragua is definitely a dominant feature so it will take a while for this system to organize. I'm not too excited about its future at this point.

stormtiger
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: 93L and X92L [Re: scottsvb]
      #87700 - Thu Jun 24 2010 07:31 PM

Scott, that's how I saw it yesterday, and little has changed today except there's more weather around some kind of mid level circulation at about 16/77.

Nothing is getting better organized from what I have seen for three days now.

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Wave in Central Caribbean Still Slowly Developing [Re: MikeC]
      #87701 - Thu Jun 24 2010 08:04 PM

As of Thursday afternoon, while 93L has had several transient circulations in the past (mostly in the mid-levels) it is becoming clear that a much more prominent surface low is taking hold roughly around 16N and 82W, and conditions have finally once again become increasingly favorable for further development, provided the system remains over enough water, for enough time.

NRL has raised a TCFA for 93L.

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

stormtiger
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wave in Central Caribbean Still Slowly Developing [Re: cieldumort]
      #87703 - Thu Jun 24 2010 09:21 PM

Thunderstorms geting closer and closer to the "center" of the broad circulation near 16/82. There is high pressure aloft here and things might pop tomorrow.

We'll have to see is the TS substain themselves. Pressure is shown as 1008mb.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Wave in Central Caribbean Still Slowly Developing [Re: cieldumort]
      #87704 - Thu Jun 24 2010 09:25 PM

Pressures at buoy 42057 have fallen 2.2 mb over the last 3 hours (and still falling) so something is going on in that vicinity

Edited by WeatherNut (Thu Jun 24 2010 09:27 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 42604

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center