Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Tropical Weather Outlooks resume tomorrow, but the Atalntic Hurricane season officially starts on June 1st.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Nicholas) , Major: 260 (Ida) Florida - Any: 1314 (Michael) Major: 1314 (Michael)

Archives 2010s >> 2016 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Leemc]
      #97304 - Wed Oct 05 2016 11:48 AM

About to head out for the beach. 12Z GFS shows landfall near Melbourne Friday morning, rides up just inland along the east coast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IsoFlame
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #97306 - Wed Oct 05 2016 12:38 PM

9am weather: 87F and mostly sunny (only a few low non-developed cumulus), wind NE 5 mph
Rainfall since midnight: trace
Surf conditions: breaking waves 2-3 feet and slowly building, choppy with an increasing north to south current
Tide: outgoing, low 5:39 pm

We are now under a hurricane warning. Deceptively beautiful day in Daytona Beach Shores. Noticed rain and wind from noon media reporters in the Jacksonville area. Preparations continue. Weather Channel personnel issuing updates from Daytona Beach, local news helicopters hovering overhead at noon.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: IsoFlame]
      #97308 - Wed Oct 05 2016 12:49 PM

We are now under a Hurricane Warning in Seminole County, FL. It's like the day before Thanksgiving at my local Publix. They have pallets and pallets of water but people are taking 3-4 packs. No ice. Canned goods like Ravioli and Tuna and Fish Steaks are in short suppl;y.

Got gas and 0630 this morning and there was a short line.

I cannot imagine what this will be like tonight and tomorrow right before Matt nears.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #97312 - Wed Oct 05 2016 01:26 PM

Polk County schools closed Thursday and Friday

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Hammhound

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #97313 - Wed Oct 05 2016 01:33 PM

Volusia closed schools Thursday and Friday.

Gas stations running low or out in Debary.

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

#97324 - Wed Oct 05 2016 03:33 PM

3pm weather: 86F and sunny (very few low non-developed cumulus), wind NE 7 mph
Surf conditions: breaking waves 2-3 feet, slight current from north to south
Tide: outgoing, low 5:39 pm

As often is the case, weather ahead of a hurricane can be amazingly calm. Today is the driest, most sunny day we have had in a week. Many residents in my neighborhood one block from the Atlantic Ocean have or are leaving this afternoon. With a hurricane plan in place and nearing completion, my partner and I will stay. We have been helping neighbors all day prepare for 100+mph winds, 4-7" of rain and a storm surge of 3-6'. I pray that Matthew does not significantly strengthen before what I think will be landfall (based on simple projection of current track out 36 hours) just to our south near Cape Canaveral/Merritt Island.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

papaswamp
Verified CFHC User

Loc: St.Johns, FL
      #97329 - Wed Oct 05 2016 04:43 PM

Heavy rain off and on from unrelated onshore flow. SJR is running very high. Added rainfall will result in more flooding here since we are so far down ( directionally up) river.
Fruit Cove, FL

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: papaswamp]
      #97331 - Wed Oct 05 2016 05:12 PM

Tropical Storm watches now out for the WEST coast of Florida From Chokoloskee (South of Marco Island...had to look it up!) to the Suwanee River....or essentially the entire west Gulf coast....waiting for schools to make decisions...like watching paint dry! Weather here in Plant City has been beautiful but hot all day. Clouded up a couple of times but no rain so far!

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #97342 - Wed Oct 05 2016 07:17 PM

Lee County Schools open Thursday; Extracurricular activities cancelled. No decision as of now (7:15PM Wed) about Friday.

If the TS Watch continues and does not become a TS Warning, it's likely the schools will be open both days.

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

#97344 - Wed Oct 05 2016 07:59 PM

Helping neighbors destroy a rickety old wooden fence until dark set in so this post is later than 6 ...
At 7pm it was 81F, partly cloudy, wind ENE 6 mph, and sun-lit cumulus low-top showers were on display over the Atlantic, approaching at a good clip from the ENE.
At 7:20 pm the shower band hit us with a brief period of wind gusting 20-25 mph, now settled down to around 15 mph from the ENE with steady moderate rain. No lightning.
Rainfall from 7:20-7:50 pm: 0.63"
Surf conditions: breaking waves 3-4 feet, moderate current from north to south
Tide: incoming, high 11:38 pm

--------------------

JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #97361 - Wed Oct 05 2016 10:56 PM

I'll be reporting in from the Margate/Coral Springs area. For those not familiar this area is 9 miles due west of the Hillsboro Inlet (beach) and 5 miles south of Palm Beach County line. Got a laptop plus several battery backups that should last through whatever Matt dishes out so I'll keep checking in tomorrow.

Weather today was typical summertime stuff: hot and steamy with a brief passing shower to cool things off, only a slight breeze but some fast moving high clouds.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, but actually had to put up the panels for:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Frances ('04) - Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16) - Irma ('17)

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

#97363 - Wed Oct 05 2016 11:10 PM

At 10:30 pm: 79.5F, partly cloudy, wind ENE 14 mph.
Rainfall today: 0.63"
Surf conditions: 3-5 feet and building
Tide: incoming, high at 11:38 pm

The wrack line from the high tide earlier in the day was up to the row of posts marking the conservation area (approx. 30' wide) between beach parking and the foot of the dune (or sea wall). This evening's high tide will run up past the posts probably half way to the dune given the increasing onshore flow and building surf. Luckily, the tidal phase is near minima for the month with current lunar cycle.

Beachside 7/11 out of gas, will be open until 4 pm Thursday. Mandatory evacuation beachside. Causeways across the intracoastal waterway in Volusia County will close to traffic at sunset on Thursday.

--------------------

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

#97378 - Thu Oct 06 2016 07:22 AM

At 6:30 am: 79F, partly cloudy, wind NE 13 mph.
Surf conditions: from the sound, it is up some overnight. will check after sunrise
Tide: incoming, high at 12:05 pm

Not knowing what to expect ahead of this fight or flight event is terrifying for many. I have a very good understanding of the destruction that will be unleashed on where I live tomorrow, yet there is still a knot in my stomach this morning looking at last day of Matthew's pulsing, fateful path toward Florida's east coast. Life's path is all about decisions. Seemingly small decisions, when intertwined with larger ones, may have monumental significance. There have been several situations in my life where decisions, mine or others above me (including God), had potentially life-saving or life-taking consequences. I believe the decision not to leave the concrete block home I live in (one block from the Atlantic) is rationale given the level of preparation made combined with having a good understanding of what is likely to happen where I live. For all who stay, calmly finish your plan ASAP, then help others as time allows.

--------------------

papaswamp
Verified CFHC User

Loc: St.Johns, FL
      #97380 - Thu Oct 06 2016 08:08 AM

Well this thing is going to come right over top of us (between JAX and Green Cove Springs on the St Johns River(SJR)).
Sit:
We have already been receiving flooding rains since yesterday.
Mandatory evacuations for coastal and low lying began yeaterday and 0600 today in earnest.
Law enforcement are only allowingv outbound traffic from barrier islands.
SJR is already running 2ft above normal due to tide and heavy rain.
Heard rumors of looting/theft of opportunity of boats at marinas in St Augustine.
So far grocery stores and gas stations, though running out of items/fuel are quickly restocked. This should lessen dramatically as people shift west away from coast.

Be safe out there!

Stork
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Palm City, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: papaswamp]
      #97390 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:04 AM

Just now seeing our first squally band here in Palm City. The beginning of the concentrated rain looks to be just offshore. Need to add, to everyone who contributes to this site so much more than I ever will, my deepest appreciation. Please stay safe and good luck!

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Stork]
      #97392 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:15 AM

Hernando County schools will be closed Friday.
Pasco County schools will be closed Friday.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #97394 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:20 AM

Still haven't gotten any rain bands here in Broward yet. Its breezy and cloudy. The only tiny problem I have is ONE branch from the neighbors tree keeps slapping one of my panels upstairs in the office. Even in this light 10 mph breeze its annoying, by tonight its going to drive me nuts. Think I'll cut it down now before it does any damage.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, but actually had to put up the panels for:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Frances ('04) - Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16) - Irma ('17)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

#97398 - Thu Oct 06 2016 12:53 PM

Pinellas County Schools just announced closures for tomorrow

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

#97400 - Thu Oct 06 2016 01:13 PM

Hillsborough County Schools are also now closed tomorrow

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
      #97401 - Thu Oct 06 2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Hillsborough County Schools are also now closed tomorrow

FINALLY...my district seems to always want to be the LAST one to figure things out...I have taught in it for 20 years, so this comes as no surprise to me. I think they believe it makes them look smart and careful....but not so much.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 93361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center