kspkap
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 05 2019 01:16 AM
Re: Dorian Conditions in Your Area

I agree! Like so many we were transfixed to the Weather Channel. “It’s going up the spine of Florida!” Evacuate! Evacuate! This was reported 5 days out! I have family & friends in my home town St.Cloud. My daughter is visiting me here on the MS Gulf Coast and the grandkids are in St. Cloud. We started rushing them to board the windows, get the generator ready, etc., etc. We also were in panic mode. Well, no more! Common sense is needed with weather reporting on hurricanes. I called my friend in St. Cloud and asked if she was boarding her windows. “No”, she replied. “Never have.” Her family has been there since the ‘30’s.

When a storm pops up alert folks to get their ducks in a row. Keep a full tank, have a few 5 gallon cans filled with gas (use it for your lawn mower later) cash on hand, but no alarms 5 days out! Don’t cause a run on everything. It’s not cheap to evacuate. This occurs almost every year. Well, next time there are going to be a lot of folks who won’t pay heed after what occurred this year. Funds spent needlessly, businesses losing summer income. Yes, Florida paid a huge price...and so did a lot of people.

Actually people in Florida should start their hurricane kit in June, picking up water, canned goods, etc., generator ready if needed, boards fitted, cut, and marked for each window, holes drilled for each tap con which are left permanently installed so the boards are easily fastened with wing nuts, etc. Store the boards in a dry place so they can be used if necessary.....like 3 days out!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center