GeorgeN
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Sep 05 2019 12:51 PM
Re: Dorian Conditions in Your Area

Quote:

Disagree. IMHO, NHC performed/is performing marvelously on DORIAN. Its job is to use science to produce information. It does so increasingly well year after year. How others use that information (e.g., altering it with a Sharpie) is outside NHC control.

I'm not saying the NHC is not performing, I'm saying their info is being used incorrectly. Places like Weather Channel use this info and then twist it into sensational journalism. If they would say "this is the NHC chart, and anything in dotted gray is speculative" then it would cause less panic. But they won't because saying anything besides "Florida is going to be toast" won't get them in the spotlight.

The NHC is getting very good. Especially with their new models and incorporating the European ensemble models. The forecast of such a strong storm coming to a direct stop, then turning sharply North was something I personally didn't believe. But it stopped, and turned just like the models predicted and the NHC was right to trust them.

In terms of people using the information incorrectly, I believe they should be held legally accountable. If you make statements that cause personal or financial distress, then that could be used against you in court. I'm not implying that amateurs like ourselves be accountable but people like the author of my posted statement should be.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center