Psyber
(Weather Guru)
Tue May 02 2006 09:43 AM
Re: name change

Quote:

No really, they could have done better replacing Rita. Just watch--Rina will get retired and be replaced by Rida, and nobody will know which one anyone is talking about. Rita Rina Rida. As for Emily hanging on... geez, what is it now, three times affecting land as a major hurricane and still on the list? It got the Dominican Republic at cat 3 in 1987, the Hatteras area at cat 3 in 1993, and then a cat 4 and 3 hit on Mexico in 2005. I'm seeing a pattern here that I don't like...
HF 1931z06april

A pattern sayyyy...that borders on not retiring hurricanes that don't do a load of continental USA damage?

For some of you that remember late last year, I alluded to some different sets of standards that get applied when hurricanes hit places other than the united states. I guess storms that flatten and kill outside the USA, just aren't big enough news to get them retired.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center