poolwatcher
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat May 27 2006 09:25 PM
Re: Gulf Trees

Quote:

Thanks for the shots of the trees Margie.
The oaks will mostly survive. Just lots of rain to leach out the salt will speed that up.
Sorry about the Pecans. They might not like all the salts in the soil.
I am happy that you were able to see what hurricanes can do to those that have to live through them.
Please remember this....everyone must remember this. It is no joke ....nor is it fun in any way.
People lose their homes and their lives and everything is forever changed by these storms.
If those that read this happen to live in non-hurricane prone areas.....you have no idea until you live through this. If you live through it!

That is correct. We lost our house in Jeanne as did our neighbors who also lost their business buildings. Folks just wandering around stunned for weeks, hunting for ice, gas, water and food all day everyday for about a week. It's hard to describe it if you have not actually seen it. My guess is the Gulf coast was ten times what Jeanne was, and Jeanne was something to behold.

And to add insult to injury, watching folks argue with insurance adjustors, especially Citizens Insurance. I do not know why the government does not simply say to the Insurance Companies, "If you want to write auto policies, or any policies at all in Florida, you also have to write hurricane insurance policies". And I dont know why the liability is not spread out across America, rather than just across Florida. (Same for earthquake insurance in Calif., tornado insurance in midwest). Insurance is going up so high, some folks are talking about going "bare".

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center