HanKFranK
(User)
Fri Sep 01 2006 12:11 AM
Re: next up...

anybody know the exact location of long beach? sfc obs out of the brunswick county airport (just west of southport) made it look like the center tracked in just to the east (winds dropped to almost nothing near the time of landfall). all i can figure is that the landfall point was just east of caswell beach at the eastern end of oak island... only smith island to the east of that... cape fear is the pointed southeastern tip of smitht island.
anyhow, the brunswick county airport also reported a min. pressure at 988 mb. doesn't look like it hit the center of the eye. i guess whenever ernesto is written up (late in the fall, probably) they'll say whether it was that or a mb or two lower.
HF 0412z01september

oh, ok... it's the western tip of oak island. i either misread the obs or the winds were variable in the eye. -HF

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center