Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 01 2006 01:35 AM
Re: next up...

yeah saw that ILM reported and pressure that low.. my grandmother is directly between the ILM airport and Brunswick County airport... (boiling spring)....based on what she was telling me on the phone... i think landfall was about right... she said winds went form blowing pretty strong to very light in about 2-5 mins i was on the phone with her... about the time i could tell on radar the northern center band was coming across... said power went on and off all night.... She has part of a wx station hooked up to her at the house and she did see the pressure fall... Thinks she saw... about 29.31-33?... I would say that landfall occured at the mouth of cape fear..between caswell beach and Smith island (aka Bald Head Island) (Oak Island is the whole island if i recall... they have long beach, caswell beach and youpon beach)... Hey being from there...note the sim? Smith island... my last name... Yep... My great-greatgrandfather ran the lighthouse that still sits over there on the island...

Google Map Of My Hometown!

Closet Offical Wx Obs to Landfall
Althougt i know there are two personal wx obs stations on Oak Island... will post link when i can find them in my archives

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center