BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Oct 06 2016 03:14 PM
Re: Boarding Up?

I have a question for the group--thoughts requested. My sister lives on the barrier island in Ormond Beach. She is on a high spot--18 ft above mean high tide--and has a solid house with screwed down metal roof, hurricane shutters and/or "hurricane-proof" windows and so on. But the house next to hers is not well cared for and has a rickety 6' wooden fence that predictably is not going to survive this. I'm not sure anyone is even living in the house at this point--the former owner died--and, if so, it may be transient renters. In other words, the owner isn't going to do anything about the fence and my sister isn't likely to get permission to do anything either. There seems a good chance the fence is going to take my sister's pool screen enclosure with it when it goes or otherwise hit her house (it lies to the east). I have suggested she take it down with or without permission because the worst I can envision is a lawsuit for the value of the fence which is old and rickety.

Any thoughts or suggestions before it's too late?

Sounds like a legal question, and probably not well suited for this forum. For future posts like this, a new thread would be appreciated, as this is off topic. I wish your sister well. Please do not reply to this topic again unless you are contributing to the OP's post. Thank you. - Ciel

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center