F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Critter Report August 18, 2007
      #76847 - Sat Aug 18 2007 08:47 AM

Here it is approximately 4:30 am and the entire atmosphere is becoming electrified with the building signals of nature's intense involvement with the oncoming storm. The eye of the storm may never come close enough to Florida to break a sweat over, but the critter reaction since noon yesterday has been incredible. My parakeet has 7 eggs and she is frantically chipping away at the shells to try to pre-hatch her babies. Popkeet is frantically trying to feed momkeet and they together keep turning the eggs at a more and obviously consistent turning. This is a normal bird behavior towards eggs that may soon hatch. But in this particular instance I have never seen the male help my female to turn her eggs before. He is usually standing guard on the perch and shrieking to tell the other phantom threats to stay away. These two little critters are working hard to save their little family from a perceived threat.I believe the impending storm, the previous night when the Peruvian earthquake occurred and also the Utah mining cave in occurred have also effected my little parakeet's sensitivities. By the way, my 6 cats are not leaving my side and are spread around me, tripping me as I walk and putting up with each other's presence even though they usually do not tolerate each other more than a few moments per day. I had to shut the bedroom door last night to keep all six of them from trying to sleep in my bed with me. There is definitely something in the air. The domestic scene is tense. I have not had free time to check out the wildlife scene, except the birds are all coming in from the surrounding oceans in to the middle ground to feed in tremendous clusters. This is bird photographing time if you are of a mind to do so.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Re: Critter Report August 18, 2007 [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #76972 - Sat Aug 18 2007 09:15 PM

Wouldn't you think with the intenstiy of your critters actions maybe the storm may come closer than they are saying. Both of my dogs have not left my side all day. Last night my cat who is content to sleep in the living room since the dogs are in the bedroom scratched at the door till I finally let her in. All of my birds have been very quiet this afternoon. The finches usually are singing away all the time during the day. They have all just been sitting close together on thier perch all day. My parrot has also been very quiet too. She is usually very vocal during the day too, plus she has been content to stay in her cage. even when the door was open. usually once the door is open she is out. curious thoughts

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

Ned
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: W.Coast Fl.
Re: Critter Report August 18, 2007 [Re: jbmusic]
      #76976 - Sat Aug 18 2007 09:38 PM

Youngest cat has been makin a lot of noise last 2 nights,looking out at water.Im an outdoorsman,but didnt put it together till i read this.Very strange for her,i wondered what she was doing.

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Critter Report August 18, 2007 [Re: Ned]
      #76978 - Sat Aug 18 2007 09:43 PM

very strange that all these animals on the west coast of Florida is acting curiously

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
      #77043 - Sun Aug 19 2007 02:55 AM

There have been many atmospheric stimuli in the last 2 -3 days. There was an upper level low that passed through Central Florida during the last 24-48 hours that could have been effecting the crittter's behaviors in combination with the impending hurricane. As the crow flies, the Caribbean is not far from Central Florida since the storm does not have to stop at red lights, nor turn any street corners as a vehicle does. A better comparison would be flyinging in unrestricted airspace. If you have ever been flying in a small airplane, you can see 100's of miles with a glance on a clear day. The same holds true for nature's ability to pick up on danger or change from a great distance. As for whether or not we will be affected by the hurricane in Central Florida area, we already are. The bands of rain or lack of rain will be affecting our atmosphere as long as the Hurricane is one. I know most are speaking about the 3 sisters that came through during 2004(charlie being a female in my book) I don't think we have seen the last of the tricks of Dean but my tropical fish are more calm tonight than they were this morning when I could not distract them from chasing each other by food even though it had been nearly 12 hours since they last had a solid meal****I hope****

--------------------

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Critter Report August 18, 2007 [Re: Ned]
      #77044 - Sun Aug 19 2007 02:56 AM

Is she fixed? If not she may be a-courting.

--------------------

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Critter Report August 18, 2007 [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #77139 - Sun Aug 19 2007 08:27 PM

Noticed something unusual in the animals today. When the ferrets are out they are running and hopping all over the place. Today when we got them out all they did was crouch low and head back to thier cage. If only one was doing it I would say maybe they were tired or not feeling well, but all three of them were doing it. Usually you have a hard time catching them to put them back in their cage once they get out. Just thought this was strange

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
      #77181 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:58 AM

I have only been out and about once this morning to walk my dog when it was just dawn and had time to observe, and then tonight when I was mowing the lawn. The critters are about as active as they were prior to Charlie, Jeanne and Frances. Its going to be a rough ride for several some ones. I pray it does not effect people who are not suspecting it, like those who do not have television and other media outlets.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5081

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center