F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Tuesday Edouard Update
      #2638 - Tue Sep 03 2002 09:50 PM

I think the chances that the NHC could be wrong are always there...predicting a landfalling hurricane is never an exact science and it takes a lot of ingredients to get a good, strong storm together. For instance, if Eduardo was moving north, he would be destroyed by the shear....but he's not. He's moving S/WSW. Anything is possible. The NHC has many weather experts working there; however, just like any other job it is prone to errors because things don't always pan out the way they expect them to..remember Opal? Andrew? There are lots of examples....Mitch is a good one...he just did the "sit and spin" game for I think about 3 years ...LOL....Just keep watching...if you see that the storm is moving a certain way, the NHC will usually wait 2+ advisories before upgrading (unless it's an absolute, like an eye forms) to make sure it wasn't just a hiccup in the storm.

It's frustrating, I know...but, whenever things like this happen, we learn once again that weather is as unpredictable as unpredictable can get. ;-)

Even worse than women.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tuesday Edouard Update
      #2639 - Tue Sep 03 2002 09:57 PM

Hey Colleen, I agree with everything you said except maybe the last sentence... hehe

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Vivian Brown on TWC isn't horrible
      #2640 - Tue Sep 03 2002 10:09 PM

She's actually very together. But, I think when saying to stay tuned until the end of November when the season ends she was talking for the Channel.. and obviously not Dr. Gray.

Bobbi

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Cristobal
      #2641 - Tue Sep 03 2002 10:14 PM

You can go to www.click10.com and in the hurricane section it has a program that runs the hurricane tracks. You can run Cristobal's track and then run Edouard. Or you can run Dianne from 1955.. that one is interesting as well.

Bobbi

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
LOL, Frank!
      #2642 - Tue Sep 03 2002 10:19 PM

You know what? I KNEW you would respond to that post....men are so.....

CUTE.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 5PM Update
      #2643 - Tue Sep 03 2002 10:39 PM

I guess the storm is dead. the TPC has pretty much said that, Joe B has not had a single update since 8:30 am, and ECTWC which had a more aggressive view toward the storm hitting Central Florida has not bothered to update their last post . All three factors mean I can now turn off the computer , rest my weary eyes and go to bed safely in Stuart Fl tonite. This may turn out to be the weakest hurricane season I can remember as there are too many confusing patterns in the atmosphere this year that prohibit anything other than marginal developement .

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2644 - Tue Sep 03 2002 10:43 PM

Bastardi has had two posts since this morning on the storm. I am not sure where you are looking.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
What is going on?
      #2645 - Tue Sep 03 2002 11:07 PM

It is so frustrating watching things get so close to popping but never quite getting there. Again, I'm not wishing for a destructive hurricane but as we have read from others there are some of us that would like to see a hurricane sometime this year. We seem to have alot of action around our areas but nothing actually to right home about. Old Eddie is leaving us wonder if he will even be able to hang on and the action in the gulf just doesn't want to spin up. It's kind of weird.

Mitch
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Merritt Island, FL
      #2646 - Tue Sep 03 2002 11:17 PM

From Joe Bastardi...

5 PM. REASONABLE PEOPLE CAN DISAGREE.
My take on Edouard. Ride the UKMET through 72. This drops the system south southwest to just east of Melbourne. It also relaxes the shear which is happening. Why do I say that? Because the thunderstorms that got blown off this morning are no longer getting blown away further east, but staying where they are. However as we talked about below, this pulsing really takes a heck of alot of energy and so the system has to start lifting all that air again. Given the fact its over the gulf stream, what should happen tonight is that the next pulse develops over or near the center and stays much closer. We are still looking at the same ideas from this morning. So far Edouard has behaved according to the outline here. I think that it is still over near the east coast of Florida late Thursday. I wish to point out that this no change from what was said earlier, because this is doing what we said earlier as far as movement. So there is no need for me to react and change things. We will then have to examine things after that to determine where it goes later. Interesting observation: The splitting of the trof off the west coast argues for something to try to dig late into he weekend or early next week toward the Appalachians Chance are are the models instead of forcing a trof split with something like that are just sending over the top of the ridge. IN any case, my take is that the system moves to where we said by late Thursday and then takes its time if it wants to get into the gulf. I simply do not see the kind of low level flow to force it so quickly across Florida. So far use of US generated models has done nothing to show skill.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2647 - Tue Sep 03 2002 11:28 PM

I'm thinking old Ed will take a ride down I4 and dump tons of water.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Not only did he have 3 updates on his column...
      #2648 - Tue Sep 03 2002 11:52 PM

He did a video special both on Eduoard and the Gulf.

Maybe you don't have auto refresh every check set?

Steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Not only did he have 3 updates on his column...
      #2649 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:31 AM

Look a cluster of storms just popped north of the center , is'nt this the first time all day that this has happened, most have popped east of center , than got blown to bits, funny joe bast just made a comment about this cluster of storms to pop over the LLC

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2650 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:34 AM

Here http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showtalkback.php?Cat=&Board=tb2002&Number=2649&page=0&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=3&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2651 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:36 AM

Sorry try this http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #2652 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:40 AM

Hey Steve, What are Bastardi's thoughts. My computer has been down and I can't play his video's right now. Man what a time to have technical difficulties!
I'm beginning to wonder if we are even going to see a hurricane this season. Seems like we can't get the right ingredients in the mixer!!!

Pinwheel Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #2653 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:40 AM

Yeah, looks like some MINOR convection trying to build northeast of the center... remains to be seen what the shear is going to do to it... and if this is a trend for continued redevelopment... Old Little Eddie is continuing to aggrevate the stew out of us... that's what makes this all so facinating...

Hey Colleen.... CUTE.... you are just being nice...

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #2654 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:47 AM

Convection is convection. He is TRYING to hold it together. Whether he will or not, we'll have to see. Shearing should subside as he moves south.
Very nice satellite pic.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #2655 - Wed Sep 04 2002 12:59 AM

Yeah Storm, any convection is better than no convection if this system has any chance to survive.... IF, and thats a BIG IF, it can get some kind of sustained development near its center, then it has a chance to survive until it at least hits the coast... Bigger question, when is it going to start moving again...

Also looking at the latest IR loop still shows some significant shear even south of the system.... maybe it'll relax later tonight or tomorrow...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2656 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:06 AM

When I said no posts by bastardi since 0830 am at that time I had not seen the 5pm post but I have been unable to find any other posts .

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
On the move again?
      #2657 - Wed Sep 04 2002 01:30 AM

Looking at the latest IR loop, it does suggest a slight HINT of a possible SW drift again. Might need a couple more frames to verify, but something to watch...Might just be a wobble and not a trend... Convection still getting blasted, what little there is near the center...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 13455

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center