Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 45 (Nate) , Major: 63 (Maria) Florida - Any: 72 (Irma) Major: 72 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Puerto Rico
CV season keeps going and going 94L invest up
      #13751 - Thu Oct 16 2003 06:53 AM

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

This is behind Nicholas and may develop into TD#20 and Oddette making this CV season one of the most active seasons on record.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: CV season keeps going and going 94L invest up
      #13752 - Thu Oct 16 2003 10:38 AM

Cycloneye--wow, another CV storm. Pretty amazing season so far, huh? Regarding Nicholas, all the models now forecast him to spin fish...but...looking at this WV imagry , it appears Nicholas will definitely miss the first trof, but should be grabbed up by the second one. With the latest invest, we may be looking at another long tracker. As someone else pointed out, we may indeed get to P & R (Peter & Rose..."Pete Rose"). Just in time for him to be considered for the HOF.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
      #13753 - Thu Oct 16 2003 12:12 PM

I'm still here. A little quiet. I don't know what to say.

Anyone else feel that way or is it just me?

Something about this season in so many ways reminds of 1996. It's October and there are storms out there in the Atlantic and I have to keep shaking myself sort of saying "Bobbi, it's still the hurricane season." But, it doesn't feel like it. Why? Don't know. Just doesn't.

Feel like I'm in a hazy world lost between watching waves that won't make it beyond a mere curiosity and waiting for the cold fronts that are slowly seeping through the sieve Miami puts up to try and protect itself from the weather from up north.

It's there. I go to Orcas and I grin, even giggle a drop but then what? So its there?

Will it do anything but swim off to sea?

Wondering what November will bring or will we be told to wait til next year and next year and next year?

It's like I can "feel" something happening but will it get caught up on a tropical breeze and simply slip away?

watching, not really waiting but im watching

bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Mary K.
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
      #13754 - Thu Oct 16 2003 01:08 PM

What if: The season never stops. What if the CV keeps spitting out storms from now until next June 1st. What if the Islands and the Keys and the NC Banks and the Gulf coastal regions keep getting hits and threats of hits from this time forward to next June.
What if the storms turn into Noreasters as they approach the Northern coasts with hurricane force winds and ice storms. And then next year: nothing. not a disturbed weather area to be found, no TDs no ts, no canes, nada, not a breeze or a stir..... Trick or treat?

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

Kevin
Weather Master

Loc: EC Florida
Why Not?
      #13755 - Thu Oct 16 2003 02:26 PM

Why not just have massive, 250 mph category 5 hurricanes all year around? Now there's a treat.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
Re: Why Not?
      #13756 - Thu Oct 16 2003 05:18 PM

what if this season slowly winds down, then the next one comes along just like normal? i mean, is there a chance that the global weather patterns of recent millenia will possibly continue another year? is that just unbelievable or what...
HF 2118z16october

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
nicholas keeps company
      #13757 - Thu Oct 16 2003 05:43 PM

this late in the year active areas are supposed to be the caribbean and southwestern north atlantic.. oddly most everything of interest is in the eastern atlantic.
the disturbance east of nicholas, that a couple of days ago i called a non-development threat.. is clinging to some kind of surface circulation and popping convection.. as 94L. sheared and still unlikely to develop, but it's already done more than expected. that paired with nw-truding nicholas is backing up and absorbing all of the wave energy in the deep easterly flow.. nothing gets into the caribbean this way.. so whatever pattern triggered development may try to take place as troughs amplify in the eastern u.s. has less to work with.
nicholas is going to turn more northerly for a couple days.. then may keep going in said direction, or perhaps slow down under shear and turn westward in the shallower flow. either the storm heads into the north atlantic, or will try struggling westward next week.
southwest of nicholas an ITCZ disturbance is flaring and moving poleward.. if this persists it will perhaps take a shot at development too.. and complicate the nicholas situation.
off in the northeast atlantic a couple of lows have/are occluding.. one has degenerated into a nonconvective swirl, the other is still throwing convection. the latter is at a fairly high latitude... either is an unlikely but longshot possible for subtropical development.
most caribbean activity seems to be moving over to the pacific, feeding into a fairly active monsoon trough.. something may come out of this on the pacific side.. no trigger for an atlantic system is yet in place.
HF 2143z16october

LI Phil
User

Re: Why Not?
      #13758 - Thu Oct 16 2003 05:46 PM

HF - Great reply. Been sitting here all damn day trying to come up with something that was...appropriate. And you NAILED it. Nice.

Back to the weather. Seems like conditions are improving and we will have a minimal hurricane by sometime tomorrow. I'm still sticking with the official forecasts and models for Nicholas to be picked up by the second trof and to spin the fishes.

Earlier, Bobbi mentioned this year seemed like 1996.

------------------------------------------------

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. ~George Carlin

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Oct 17 2003 06:38 PM)

Weather Master

Loc: W. Central Florida
      #13759 - Thu Oct 16 2003 08:44 PM

ROFL Mary, what are you growin in your garden? Hey would not be totally suprised about anything this season....

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Mary K.
Weather Guru

#13760 - Thu Oct 16 2003 09:00 PM

Well, I figured since Hurricane season does not USUALLY begin on April Fool's day, it would take a Halloween trick to make this season more interesting than it already has been. I am enjoying the barely concealed excitement on other website's. You can see people rooting for Nicholas to make it across the pond, even though they are saying he is fish bait.

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Landfalling or docked into port in Mobile Bay :)
      #13761 - Fri Oct 17 2003 11:51 AM

Storm just sat there and spun.. first storm I remember NHC issuing press releases as to when they would start issuing advisories again when it made Atlantic OceanFall

wierd year... the wierdness persists too

great summer for writing online and playing, not much else to do

--------------------

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

models
      #13762 - Fri Oct 17 2003 11:53 AM

http://www.wrel.com/modelmap.htm

looks like a bouquet of pretty flowers..
look fast, am sure they will change

--------------------

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida 27.92N 82.00W
Re: models
      #13763 - Fri Oct 17 2003 01:20 PM

Thats what I like....a decisive model output!!

--------------------
Jara

LI Phil
User

Evil Empire vs. The Fish
      #13764 - Fri Oct 17 2003 03:06 PM

Well, the models are still all over the place, but since Nicholas will probably only spin fish, it probably doesn't matter. He is forecast to become a Hurricane, probably not by the 5:00 (slight chance), but more likely by the 11:00. Nicholas will definitely spare the islands, but could threaten Bermuda (not likely).

Invest 94L looks crappy now. Maybe the CV season is finally over. Who knows, it's been a strange year so far. Next up: No-No Odette

---------------------------------------------------------

Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while. ~Kin Hubbard

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Oct 17 2003 06:34 PM)

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: Evil Empire vs. The Fish
      #13765 - Fri Oct 17 2003 07:16 PM

Phil you said it right this has been a strange and I say weird season that started in april with ANA,in june TD#2 formed in the eastern atlantic and now Nicholas formed in mid october in the east atlantic so are we done after Nick is gone or we may see 1-2 more? Already 2003 is the 7th most active season in record so imagine if la nina were in the pacific how many more systems would haved formed besides the 14 already.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA 30.00N 90.14W
Re: Evil Empire vs. The Fish
      #13766 - Fri Oct 17 2003 10:33 PM

A little comedy courtesy of the MM5. I was over at S2K and saw my boy StormsFury had the animated loop for the 45k run. After watching the run, I thought it was cool enough to throw up over here for whomever missed it. Some talk around that Joe B was going to get his South Florida hit one way or another, though my subscription's up until June. Come to think of it, I still need a Florida hit too to verify (and my landfall forecast came out before his -muhahahahahaha).

Anyway, just throwing it out there for fun:

MM5 (PSU Model) 45k Animation

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Oct 18 2003 02:13 AM)

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Nicholas Update
      #13768 - Sat Oct 18 2003 10:46 AM

... has been posted in the Storm Forum.
Cheers,
ED

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center