F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
SW Orlando [Re: Unregistered User]
      #20024 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:43 PM

Still nothing bad going on here. The core is supposed to start moving in over the next hour or so. We'll see.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Ominous Picture [Re: StormHound]
      #20025 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:44 PM

Here are the obs from my weather station just north of St. Petersburg in Pinellas County.

Wind: N at 16 MPH
Pressure: 29.79 In. / 1009 Mb.
Total Rain: 0.12 In.

I posted this observation to show just how compact this storm actually is. I am just a little over 50 miles from the center of the storm right now and I am not experiencing anything close to tropical storm force winds. Additionally, I have received hardly any rainfall. This compact storm reminds me of Bret (Cat 4) several years ago that hit southern Texas. People were amazed at how small of an area received significant damage.

My prayers are with all those who took the brunt of Charley.

God Bless,
Ronn

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Weather Conditions [Re: Ronn]
      #20027 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:51 PM

Winds here in Lake County getting a little breezier, we are about 26 miles NW of Orlando, so i am wondering exactly what we will get. We may also enter the concentric part of the Hurricane, so winds and rain may increase in intensity as that occurs.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20028 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:53 PM

Ormond Beach here. It's pouring with constant lightning and thunder. Wind is blowing pretty good as well. Looks to be one of the severe outside feeder bands moving through. Got very dark as well.

--------------------
Check the Surf

OrlandoWaiting
Unregistered

Re: Weather Conditions [Re: Jamiewx]
      #20029 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:53 PM

This thing is a joke. I mean, c'mon guys. For all of the hype that was put up around this, they have to look hard, even on the Southwest coast, for widespread serious damage. There is no WIDESPREAD serious damage.

(I'm leaving this up for now, as HF is just dying to make his first edit. DO NOT post stuff like this...you are about to receive some serious weather and the underestimation of the seriousness of this storm could prove fatal. Make another post like this and it will be GONE, I can promise you that.)

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Aug 13 2004 11:58 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
An update and a thanks [Re: spookmcg]
      #20030 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:54 PM

Last evening, John C. let me put up my first "article" post. It may have received more "hits" than any other due to the seriousness of the storm. I am particularly glad I posted two pieces, which I hope everyone read and was able to take action on:

>>> While it is entirely possible this storm could de-intensify or change course, it is also quite possible this system could intensify to Category IV.
and

>>> This COULD (emphasis on could) be one for the record books.

While I would love to take "credit" (such as it is) for such a prescient prediction, this entire board, directly or indirectly, owes an incredible amount of gratitude to Ed Dunham. He didn't want it made known, for fear of panic, that this storm would behave as it did, but he tipped me off early Tuesday that this was going to be a monster. We're by no means out of the woods, but I did tip off a few of the regulars to the fact that we were facing a potentially life-threatening situation.

ED rocks! I will NEVER question another thing he says, and neither should anyone who posts here, and that includes the regulars who think he "EDits" too hard. Well, I'd rather have him slicing and dicing my posts (which he does quite regularly) than to not have his presence here.

It's still too early to quit being vigilant, but I'm aiming my first toast of the evening towards ED. I believe he's actually shoring up his own abode in Melbourne (well, he's probably completed those plans already).

Charley is still packing 80MPH plus winds so everyone in his path remain vigilant.

Once again, good luck and godspeed to all.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't also send out a shout to John & Mike for hosting this site, and to my co-mod HanKFranK.

Everyone be safe...
and...

>>> This COULD (emphasis on could) be one for the record books.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: Weather Conditions [Re: AgentB]
      #20031 - Fri Aug 13 2004 11:58 PM

Here on South Merritt Island, it is getting very windy...I can hear it all through the house. As the feeder bands go by it is gusting into the 50's and we have had several power surges. I put up the panels today just in case.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

OrlandoWaiting
Unregistered

Re: Weather Conditions [Re: OrlandoWaiting]
      #20032 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:00 AM

I was edited!!! I'm a child of the 60's and I have serious problems with someone editing what I feel are valid thoughts.
So much for freedem of opinion on this board, pal.

>>>Yeah, well this aint the 60's no more. I'm all for freedom of expression, but not here, not now. The next step is to block your IP address...which, I can assure you, will happen. Post relevantly and don't make light of this storm. Your post stays up...for now. This is still a very serious storm, and if you are not receiving the brunt end of it, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

Edited by LI Phil (Sat Aug 14 2004 12:09 AM)

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
      #20033 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:01 AM

conditions in Northwest Orlando, 12 miles from downtown.
Moderate to light rain, gusts to maybe 20 mph. and that's a generous maybe.

OrlandoWaiting
Unregistered

Re: Weather Conditions [Re: alan]
      #20034 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:04 AM

I'm in far Northwest Orlando. Let's get real here, people. the Hurricane force and even tropical storm force winds are such a small tight area, you have to go look for it. This storm will not spell widespread damage. I don't mean to minimize it for those who do feel it, but this is NOT a biggie.

(See above)

Edited by LI Phil (Sat Aug 14 2004 12:10 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #20036 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:14 AM

Quote:

I'm in far Northwest Orlando. Let's get real here, people. the Hurricane force and even tropical storm force winds are such a small tight area, you have to go look for it. This storm will not spell widespread damage. I don't mean to minimize it for those who do feel it, but this is NOT a biggie.

A bit too early to say that, most areas nobody is at, and the area between that part of Florida and Orlando isn't all that populated. It's very possible, but we really won't know until tomorrow.

I'd wait until its gone before I'd make statements like that. It still hasn't reached the orlando area yet. But I can see where you might think it.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Hunter's Creek Area [Re: MikeC]
      #20037 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:17 AM

Things are deteriorating quickly now. Very high winds. It looks like we'll get the core area in front of the eye.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Anonymous
Unregistered

charlie [Re: StormHound]
      #20038 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:19 AM

Are you in Orlando?
how close to disney?
I have a neice in hotel there

(Hoping your neice is OK, I'm going to AGAIN invoke the HF rule: Post anonymously and it will be deleted. You don't have to register, just ID yourself from now on...)

Edited by LI Phil (Sat Aug 14 2004 12:21 AM)

OrlandoWaiting
Unregistered

Re: charlie [Re: Anonymous]
      #20039 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:21 AM

The Attractions area (disny) is going to get it more than me. This thing is so small and so compact....widespread damage will be negative.

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #20040 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:22 AM

If I were a moderator I would have deleted all of your posts.

It is very likely that many people have died in this storm, and currently over 1,000,000 are without power, and by the time it goes past Orlando, possibly another 1,000,000.

The damage path is narrow, but it is very destructive. Who are you to decide if that is important or not?

Having gone through Andrew, which was also a very narrow band of destruction, I can tell you that it was days before anyone realized how bad it was. And it was bad.

I knew yesterday that this was going to be a killer storm, but like Phil and others here, we did not hype that all over the board. For you to come out and say that this is nothing is outrageous and unacceptable.

And this is a private board, so the C brothers can do what they want with the messages here, and the more garbage posts like yours I read the more I want them to lock this board down.

Bill

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Hey, Orlando waiting... [Re: OrlandoWaiting]
      #20041 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:23 AM

You trying to bust my chops? Don't waste the effort, I can assure you of that.

>>> The Attractions area (disny) is going to get it more than me.

It's "Disney" and how I wish the opposite were true. Knock it off.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Aunt Debbie
Unregistered

#20042 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:25 AM

Sorry, I didn't know the rules, Thank you

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay
      #20043 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:26 AM

I just took a peek outside and stood on the porch for a few minutes watching the wind. They are gusting pretty good and I even watched some garbage swirl by, at house top level. Few times the gusts have made me look at the roof. I just heard on 13 that there is a report of 160 homes leveled, and that is while the storm is still moving. This is far from over.
uhoh, the windows are suddenly being whammed with wind gusts. damn thats scary.
MomFischer

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #20044 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:26 AM

Orlando feeling the effects of Charley at 8:20pm.
In south orlando the wind and rain is picking up. Rain blowing horizontally.
Some shingles blowing off of roofs being reported.
Storm is moving up the I-4 corridor.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Hey, Orlando waiting... [Re: LI Phil]
      #20045 - Sat Aug 14 2004 12:29 AM

Only registered users can post replies to news articles now, didn't want to do this, but at this time its the best I can do. Other forums like the storm forum and disaster forum are open to everyone, however.

Sorry folks I like it being easier to reply than having the hassle of registration, but when things get hairy sometimes we need to do this. Registration is open however, so feel free to do it.

Waiting, this wasn't for what you posted, but I can see it start to go downhill from here so its time to put the breaks on it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42146

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center