F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Scottsvb's forecast [Re: LI Phil]
      #32013 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:38 PM

Phil--I stand corrected...kudos to you man! Here in Florida we wish you had both been completely wrong, but I guess this is our year.

Eyewall looks to be contracting some, and the radar presentation is getting better and better. I think we'll know very soon what kind of intensification Jeanne has planned before she comes ashore but I think Cat 4 is looking more and more likely.

So far in East Orlando, we've head periods of moderate rain and breezy conditions. So far, wetter than Frances to this point, but not as breezy. Compared to Charley, very different--Charley gave us two major feeder bands before the real action began.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: 5:00 Discussion [Re: Ronn]
      #32014 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:40 PM

Looks more west now. Thomas gives some reasoning. This just in.

At this time it appears that Jeanne will come ashore within the north side of my landfall window, between Ft. Pierce and Vero Beach. She looks just incredible on visible satellite imagery at the moment and I expect her to flirt with CAT 4 status. We have to watch for speed divergence though as she nears shore, She could suddenly auger in further down the coast nearer Hobe Sound, much like Charley did on the west coast.

Here in Plant City 25 east of Tampa we have already seen several feeder band rain squalls move through with wind gusts to 30 mph. Barometer is 29.69" and falling at 5:00 pm EDT. I think County EOC's are dropping the ball here on the west coast. Many are expecting wind gusts of tropical storm force and nothing more. Many are going to be stunned at the hurricane force winds and all the damage that's going to occur, plus west coast storm surge.

Be Safe,
Thomas Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL,

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
FNC [Re: clyde w.]
      #32015 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:43 PM

If anyone is watching Fox, their forecaster looks to be using the GFS on their graphic.
Phil and Steve did do a good job on their forecasts, but I wish their forecasts were for it to go out to sea.
Remember, DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE STORM!

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: FNC [Re: MrSpock]
      #32016 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:47 PM

Quote:

Remember, DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE STORM!

Tell that to the dog!

--------------------
Lat/Lon: 27.8, -80.5
Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Wilma '05, Ernesto '06, Faye '08

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
My $.02 Forecast [Re: clyde w.]
      #32017 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:50 PM

Just to add the the crow eating fest, here's my posted forecast from Friday, September 17. Post #28858.

"Jeanne - I think she will make it off the coast of Hispaniola and begin to reform the circle of convection around the eye. As this strengthing occurs, she will speed up. I disagree with the NHC that the turn to the west will be so abrupt. I think it will be a wide arc with landfall around the same place as Frances with 50 mile margin of error either north or south, depending on how long Ivan hangs out in GA and how fast the high over Florida erodes."

I guess that's about right except for Ivan being part of the problem. He was indirectly though. I wish she had gone out dancing with Karl instead.

Conditions here in S. Orlando continue to deteriorate. Not awful yet, steady misting rain and getting cooler. Temp is down to 77.9 and the weather station says its gonna rain today. No joke.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: FNC [Re: cjzydeco]
      #32018 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:50 PM

water (surf) already coming up over the dunes ( well what is left of them) in Cape Canaveral...we have a digital cam but no card reader right now..working on getting some pics on a neighbors pc and will post some

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: 5:00 Discussion [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #32019 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Looks more west now. Thomas gives some reasoning. This just in.

At this time it appears that Jeanne will come ashore within the north side of my landfall window, between Ft. Pierce and Vero Beach. She looks just incredible on visible satellite imagery at the moment and I expect her to flirt with CAT 4 status. We have to watch for speed divergence though as she nears shore, She could suddenly auger in further down the coast nearer Hobe Sound, much like Charley did on the west coast.

Here in Plant City 25 east of Tampa we have already seen several feeder band rain squalls move through with wind gusts to 30 mph. Barometer is 29.69" and falling at 5:00 pm EDT. I think County EOC's are dropping the ball here on the west coast. Many are expecting wind gusts of tropical storm force and nothing more. Many are going to be stunned at the hurricane force winds and all the damage that's going to occur, plus west coast storm surge.

Be Safe,
Thomas Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL,

We've also had gusts to 30 in Naples. Collier Emergency Mgt projected tropical storm force winds and I think Lee County did the same.

PalmCoaster

Reged:
Loc: Palm Coast, FL
Re: Scottsvb's forecast [Re: clyde w.]
      #32020 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:52 PM

it's a little breezy up here in Palm Coast - Flagler County. Brief mists of rain fell earlier, now just patches of clouds and occassional breezes in the 20mph range.
You folks who contribute here are awesome. Even though we are getting better local weather media coverage for this storm than the past 2 (because citizens complained!) I rely on NHC and the links and comments here as well.
thanks

--------------------
Real Estate Agent "So that's why Palm Coast never sees hurricanes...you're protected!"

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: FNC [Re: MrSpock]
      #32021 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:53 PM

Re: FOX...right now they're showing the Ben Affleck, I mean Scott Peterson trial...was that FNC? Or was the hurricane coverage just a quickie update?

OK, just got an update...the announcer just said Hurricane Jeanne will make landfall in Florida sometime this evening and could become a major hurricane at that time...

"could" become? It's already a major...does anyone think this was a mistake or a deliberate attempt to woo back viewers?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Current Conditions [Re: LI Phil]
      #32022 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:57 PM

Winds sustained 26 mph, gusts to 44 mph
Rainfall Total 0.89"
Pressure 29.30" falling
A real nasty band is coming in and I will probably loose power soon.

--------------------
Another typical August:

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: FNC [Re: LI Phil]
      #32023 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:06 PM

Our announcer just said we would begin getting hurricane-force winds after midnight. I'm thinking they're gonna be starting a little earlier than that, but now I have that song stuck in my head...

After midnight, we're gonna let it all hang down.
After midnight, we're gonna chug-a-lug and shout.
We're gonna stimulate some action;
We're gonna get some satisfaction.
We're gonna find out what it is all about.

No bonus points for you...how many versions of that song did Clapton do?
Wasn't lookin for any... Just complaining... just hoping it's not the last song I hear before the power goes out...

--------------------
Lat/Lon: 27.8, -80.5
Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Wilma '05, Ernesto '06, Faye '08

Edited by cjzydeco (Sat Sep 25 2004 10:11 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Current Conditions [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #32024 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Winds sustained 26 mph, gusts to 44 mph
Rainfall Total 0.89"
Pressure 29.30" falling
A real nasty band is coming in and I will probably loose power soon.

Two things of interest...sometime after WXMAN RICHIE loses power, he's going to phone me so I can post some (or maybe one) update on the conditions...he's also going to be giving an interview to Jim Williams of hurricanecity.com...at 11:00ish.

May have to leave the boards to listen to the live broadcast...

I made sure to tell him to remind Jim how we kicked his a$$ in the poll...hope everybody voted ONCE

The $h!+ seems to be starting to hit the fan now....good luck guys and hunker down! As Chief Science Officer Spock said "DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE STORM"

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: FNC [Re: cjzydeco]
      #32025 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:09 PM

lmfao

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St Cloud, Florida
Re: Current Conditions [Re: LI Phil]
      #32026 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:09 PM

78°F
Light Rain and Breezy Feels Like:
80°F
Dew Point: 74°F
Humidity: 87%
Visibility: 3.0 miles
Pressure: 29.66 inches
Wind: From the North at 25 gusting to 32 mph
As reported from Orlando International Airport at 4:53 PM

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #32027 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:12 PM

I posted Ed's notes tonight on the main article, he's leaning more north than I am, but I'm tending to think the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

These hurricane sites aren't a competition. Jim Williams I have a lot of respect for and do like Hurricane City a lot. So honestly the poll doesn't mean much to me. You gotta remember I made this site originally for me to have a lot of info at my fingertips and that line of thought really hasn't changed.

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

#32028 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:13 PM

Jeanne is flying...! Remember it was at this time yesterday the prediction was for a Sunday 6:00 a.m. landfall! Somebody predicted it woud be ahead of shedule (LakeToho?) and man is she ever...!

And the northward wobble appeared to be just that. Measuring north & south eyewall averages for two complete turns indicates a course of 275, maybe 285 max... that's all I'm getting here.

AdmittedHacker

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Current Conditions [Re: AdmittedHacker]
      #32029 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:16 PM

Yeah well I wish I wasnt right on that one..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
      #32030 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:16 PM

I'll be on Hurricane City between 8-11 pm, not sure of exact time. He is going to call me. Don't worry Mike, I am not going to say anything about the poll.

--------------------
Another typical August:

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #32031 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:18 PM

This storm is getting stronger, and it appears that it is right on track.. Looks like as this thing gets closer to the coast, its getting a more northward component.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

leetdan in exile
Unregistered

Re: Current Conditions [Re: AdmittedHacker]
      #32032 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:19 PM

Power's flickering on and off here, not much longer until we're out for good. Most of my family lives in Singer Island or coastal Jupiter, so we're all camped out here in Jupiter farms 10 miles inland (in a very solid home). The news has a disgusting amount of interviews with people on barrier islands, who after Frances, are insisting on staying. I have a sick feeling there's going to be a lot more direct storm-related casualties than with the other three

Stay safe everybody, catch you on the flip side!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 96679

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center