F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #40160 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:22 PM

If the trailer is tied down well. She is as safe there as she usually is in a Florida Thunderstorm. Check the news early tomorrow morning around 8 AM for an update of storm location.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #40161 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:27 PM

There is now a westward jog last few frames on radar and IR. That is good news for the Keys. Looks like it should stay west of Key West (though it will certainly be windy).

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #40162 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:31 PM

I hear a lot of concerns from folks like me in Central and South Florida and they are valid. The situation right now looks positive for these areas as far as any serious weather so lets not get ulcers. Be vigilant and stay up-to-date here and at the NHC site on whats happening.

You also might say a little prayer for our friends in the Panhandle and points west. My sister lives on the Coast in Gulfport, MS and others on the board here are under the gun.

As many have said here, be prepared, but be cool.

--------------------
Jara

Brett
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: stormchazer]
      #40163 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:35 PM

Agreed. Let's all remember what we are dealing with here, and that no one...no one...wants anything like this to hit them dead on. We have to feel for those in Cuba, and those on the Gulf coast. Seems to me the NHC has been pretty dead on with this one. It will be interesting to see where he comes off Cuba, and what happens with his forward speed.

--------------------
South Florida

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: stormchazer]
      #40164 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:36 PM

Agreed. I have been through all three last year in Central Florida. As long as this bad-boy stays on its projected path, and we stay vigilant to the tornadoes that are most common in the NE quad 100-250 miles from the storm, we should all be just fine.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
      #40165 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:44 PM

Sooooo...does one of the experts want to offer an opinion on the NHC projected path?

Personally, my interpretation is that the main factor that could throw off the model guidance and the NHC official path is the land mass of Cuba. I understand, however, that the models have gotten a little better at accounting for land masses.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #40166 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:48 PM

I have a question. What is it with Jamaica? Ivan turned left and went around ir, Charley turned left and went around it, and Dennis went right and around it. Tpography, luck, VooDoo???????

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: pcola]
      #40167 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:53 PM

Not that we here on the West Coast are clear, but with all the info so far, I want to tell everyone in the current forecast path that my family will be hoping that they all make it through this safely!

I also want to thank everyone for all the valuable information that is shared here. It's a truly great resource.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
      #40168 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:58 PM

Just saw Dr. Steve. He pointed out that Dennis has taken a westerly jog over the land mass of Cuba. He oferred the obvious that it wasn't good for Fidel's place (Havanna), but it was good for weakening the storm.

Seriously.: I pray for the people of Cuba and hope this does not knock Havanna out. (my polital views are breaking out)

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #40169 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:03 AM

I would also like to know everyone's opinion of possibly boarding some (maybe south and west facing) windows up for possible tropical storm force winds just South of Tampa.

SeeSaw99

Reged:
Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #40170 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:03 AM

Any chance this more westward jog will weaken Dennis much more significantly than if he had gone more north? Say to a strong Cat. 1 or a weak Cat. 2?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: pcola]
      #40171 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:03 AM

That would be a topography effect the storm has the structure of the hurricane. It can be explained like a wheel cocked more to the left to prevent torque from turning it to the right. The topography weakens the storm in a certain quadarant, and the excessive wind or energy is driven away from the island, thus moving the storm away. If anyone can explain this better- be my guest. JB did a map disco on it, and it seems to have been battle proven-so to speak.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Keith234]
      #40174 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:11 AM

Quote:

That would be a topography effect the storm has the structure of the hurricane. It can be explained like a wheel cocked more to the left to prevent torque from turning it to the right. The topography weakens the storm in a certain quadarant, and the excessive wind or energy is driven away from the island, thus moving the storm away. If anyone can explain this better- be my guest. JB did a map disco on it, and it seems to have been battle proven-so to speak.

Makes sense. Also, the entire weakening stage causes the hurricane to lose its tightely wound inner circle. You may see some expanding of severe weather in the next few hours from inside the eye to more miles outside of the center.

I am no expert, but from tracking storms for many years, learning from Mets, and from being on this great board (which I just lurked for many years - remember the days of the constant crashes and ugly interface), I have learned a few things.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Keith234]
      #40175 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:12 AM

Finally got registered. I believe Dennis has now started that jog to the NW again. The westward movement (WNW) has ceased, and I don't think he'll make Havana. He may get closer to the peninsula and be stronger than many think. His sat presentation is still great even with being land. He should emerge in a couple of hours and crank right up. Cheers!!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #40177 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:18 AM

I remember I had asked a question once about the size of the storm in relation to the intensity. Basically storm size has no determinable affect on strength of storm. Alas the storm would lose the tightly wind gradient somewhat in the center, and lose some of it's density as you said.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Steve H1]
      #40178 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:19 AM

Agree...that was just a few frames worth of a westward jog. It is back to NW again. Should regain some strength. We have a wind advisory here tomorrow but it shouldn't be too bad. If anyone is interested, I have a home weather station with an anemometer on the roof (located in Brevard County - EC FL). Here is the link...(http://home.cfl.rr.com/h2ocean/weather.html)

I just got my hurricane shutter mounting changed to panelmates from the lead anchors - learned my lesson last year. This will cut my time in half to put up the panels and they are MUCH stronger. I had several lead anchors pull out last year.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: h2ocean]
      #40179 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:23 AM

Agree with those who are talking about the recent movement more to the NW...I have been watching Key West radar (long range), and I see the same thing. The NHC track looks pretty good at this point. Still, Dennis must be watched carefully through the night.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Kevin]
      #40180 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:26 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster....

18z GFS and GFDL are certainly intriguing. Keeping in mind the models daytime-west, nightime-east pattern, these tracks bringing Dennis slightly closer to Florida's WC and are definitely something to keep an eye on.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: h2ocean]
      #40181 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:28 AM

Quote:

Agree...that was just a few frames worth of a westward jog. It is back to NW again. Should regain some strength. We have a wind advisory here tomorrow but it shouldn't be too bad. If anyone is interested, I have a home weather station with an anemometer on the roof (located in Brevard County - EC FL). Here is the link...(http://home.cfl.rr.com/h2ocean/weather.html)

I just got my hurricane shutter mounting changed to panelmates from the lead anchors - learned my lesson last year. This will cut my time in half to put up the panels and they are MUCH stronger. I had several lead anchors pull out last year.

Tapcons. Not likely to get pulled out.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Kevin]
      #40182 - Sat Jul 09 2005 12:28 AM

Also been watching key west radar, and can verify movement in a wnw fashion. Those storms that Dennis's massive circulation is pulling in from Georgia downward are packing a punch, I'm surprised how vast of an area this storm can cover. This is will eventually circulate to the front side of the storm, and convection on the leading side of a storm (motion wise) is never good; especially after re-entering water. Gaston did that last year after re-developing off of the delmarva, and it wasn't fun out east on LI.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40992

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center