F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: native]
      #60660 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:56 PM

Quote:

NHC will update the track at 11:00am edt...about another 15 minutes or so.

11AM track is out and about the same as the 5am track and the storm is going 4 MPH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Rdietch]
      #60661 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:56 PM

Is Wilma starting another ERC? On the navy website, the 85hz shows what appears to be an outer eyewall forming. I've attached the picture since the navy website changes so often:

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: native]
      #60662 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:57 PM

Looking at the WV loop this morning I see what the models are alluding to, but I still think they're overblowing the "stall and sit" scenario.

You have a clearly-defined trough diving towards the gulf coast. In the last 12 hours it has gone from roughly the Texas Panhandle to the TX/LA border, which is pretty good progression! It is also deepening in axis, which inidicates that amplitude is rising there, and height falls should be occurring in front of and to the east of it.

The storm's outflow to the north is being pulled dramatically, to the point that its all the way north to Cedar Key, and is highly asymmetrical. The N and NE flow component of the upper air pattern causing this is clearly visible.

The first low is over Ohio, and headed towards the seaboard.

The current surface map clearly shows the frontal boundary expected to plow through the gulfcoast panhandle area tomorrow, and our forecast holds this out as well - we are expecting a ten degree drop in daytime highs, but the front is expected to come through tomorrow during the morning daylight hours. If it does, this would be, I'd expect, the steering element that picks up Wilma.

As it does the fairly weak blocking high over the FL/AL/GA border should be forced eastward and out, clearing the path for Wilma to move to the north and east.

The exact path will depend on that trough axis, and whether the impulse of amplification that is driving it is strong enough to force a more N-S axis rather than a weaker E-W one. To the extent that the axis tilts more to the N-S, Wilma should move more poleward.

Some of the models appear to be forcasgint a MISS by this trough entirely, instead forcasting that she will not get picked up until the one FOLLOWING that arrives. I don't know if I buy that scenario - the boundary behind the current trough doesn't look all that healthy this morning, while the one in front of it looks quite energetic, and is being driven south with quite a bit of vigor.

Of course yesterday, I thought it would get here this evening. Obviously not at this point....

Still, I would not take your eye off the ball anywhere along the west coast of Florida and particularly into the Keys. While the interaction with land is very likely to significantly weaken the storm, even a much weaker Wilma can still do significant damage......

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: willw]
      #60663 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:57 PM

Dr Lyons said yesterday there is the possibility that this gets over the Yucatan and dies. it seems the NOGAPS is thinking this way now...it gets more interesting every run...we could only be so lucky

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: zmdz01]
      #60664 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:59 PM

I think it's likely that is the beginning of an ERC, although it will take some time before it manifests. If I remember from Katrina, land can interrupt these quite nicely leading towards a highly disorganized storm.

Perhaps the models showing it dissipating and never regaining a core aren't out to lunch afterall?

I have to throw in that I do not believe Wilma can stall for the next day or two. It's likely she'll continue her brush with the Yucatan and may make it as high as Cat 5 before entering the GOM and more-hostile conditions.

If you're on the West coast of Florida, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. I'm not saying rush out, board up and leave now - what I am saying is get your tools ready to board (you can always put them back), get supplies ready to leave (you can always pack them in short order), and monitor your local emergency management broadcasts for any evacuation orders. There's a range of Cat 4 to TS at landfall from North of Tampa down to the everglades. It will not get any more specific until Wilma enters the GOM and starts the march towards us at increased forward speed.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: pcola]
      #60666 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:01 PM

What run are you guys looking at in the NOGAPS?

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: jcarroll01]
      #60667 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:02 PM

JCarroll - if you look to far left on here....look under the heading CONTENT (white letters/navy blue background) click on "General Info" and then at the top there, click on "Terms to know"

You should find that extremely helpful to navigate/decipher the boards here.

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: willw]
      #60668 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:04 PM

This is driving me crazy. I am in Orlando. I have almost a hundred orchids hanging in my trees which might have to be brought in so they won't be missles and I am ill. I am worrying more about the angle of entry and exit. If it goes out by melbourne I have a lot of work to do to get ready and I am not looking forward to dragging myself outside to do it.

I feel for the people in Mexico. I know there are people in cozemel that could not get out. One is on a list I am on and there was no transportation out.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: scottsvb]
      #60669 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:05 PM

Looking at the one on weather underground...You know the Model you said yesterday had it going to Sarasota when it had it going to Naples...That same model.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Rdietch]
      #60670 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:06 PM

You mean the old run from last night 0Z,,that model isnt updated yet besides every model changes from run to run... Sarasota 1 day,,next run might be Cuba... they arnt sure.

Edited by scottsvb (Fri Oct 21 2005 03:08 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Wilma [Re: native]
      #60671 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:12 PM

Wilma's satellite presentation is remarkably unchanged from when I went to bed about 9 hours ago. Looks like the motion has been mostly steady, with a slight turn to the left. It is going to have to make an abrupt turn to the right or else stall out to avoid a Yucatan landfall. You can clearly see an outer eyewall on the radar and it looks like the inner eyewall may be starting to weaken. The official advisory still indicates strengthening back to 135 knots in 12 hours, but I have a hard time seeing that happening. I don't think there is time for another ERC to complete.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: scottsvb]
      #60672 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:14 PM

If you read the disco at 11:00 it tells about the new NOGAPS!

THE NOGAPS NO LONGER KEEPS Wilma IN THE
CARIBBEAN FOR FIVE DAYS AND IS NOW MORE IN LINE WITH THE REMAINING
MODELS

It sounds like we are slowly inching closer to at least some consistancy.

Big Tk
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa FL
      #60673 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:15 PM

The new NOGAPS run has it going into sarasota in 96 hr. I highly doubt that but it is still way to early to speculate on were this storm will end up.

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early2.png

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: emackl]
      #60674 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:15 PM

Yeah everyone was looking at last nights old run of the NOGAPS,,that guy was giving out old info.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Big Tk]
      #60675 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:19 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

Edited by scottsvb (Fri Oct 21 2005 03:21 PM)

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
      #60676 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:21 PM

I've notived that the NHC hasn't changed its track for a few days, it's almost like they're splitting the models in the middle at times. It seems to me they're taking a wait and see until Wilma gets into the Gulf.

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: scottsvb]
      #60677 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:22 PM

Anbody have a link to a live Webcam on Cozumel or Cancun, the ones I have bookmarked arent live any more. clearly Cozumel is getting pounded hard and Cancun is going downhill by the minute. thanks

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #60679 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:23 PM

coming up on cnn max mayfield press conf

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #60680 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

You mean the old run from last night 0Z,,that model isnt updated yet besides every model changes from run to run... Sarasota 1 day,,next run might be Cuba... they arnt sure.

Yes there is a New Gaps and it keeps it over land for the 5 days.Not that it is right but that is NEW also when you posted yesterday the new 12Z run had it going to Sarasota it never did it had it going to Naples.

Anyway there is a New Gaps out and it has changed with the others.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Rdietch]
      #60681 - Fri Oct 21 2005 03:26 PM

I didnt have it going to Naples,,It was Ft Myers-Sarasota area and that is the 6z run from yesterday or the 0z run.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center