Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - 25 Years Tracking StormsHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2021 Altantic Hurricane Season Begins June 1st, 2021. 2020 is officially over, but still a 30% chance area lingers.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 33 (Zeta) , Major: 96 (Laura) Florida - Any: 783 (Michael) Major: 783 (Michael)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2006 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Re: 99L [Re: saluki]
      #68632 - Mon Jul 31 2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The big inhibiting factor then is going to be whether it runs over Hispanola or not - if it does, it'll get ripped up good.

Distinctly remember this happening with Debby in 2000. The long-term forecast had it hitting the Broward/Palm Beach area as a Category 2 storm, but it fizzled after interacting with the mountains in the Dominican Republic. Any opinions on the possibility of that happening assuming 99L develops? A few of the models indicate paths north or south of Hispaniola, but none over it.

Sure - Hispanola is right in the center of the projected potential paths!

Of course that's kinda like relying on the black line when you have a cone blanketing you - either way (you're on it or not) - not a good idea. However, Hispanola is a fairly big landmass, which helps.

If it goes south of Hispanola then its got a rougher time of it trying to come at the eastern gulf, and Florida's East Coast is far less likely to get hit. On the other hand if it can remain south of the polar steering influences then the Yucatan and coastal areas down to Belize and the Honduras end up more at risk. This is the sort of solution the LBAR is prognosticating, but that model tends to completely miss a lot of the steering influences which is why, in terms of predictive value, it bites.

There is no current good model support for path prognostication from the "modern" models; if this thing organizes better and the globals get a better handle on its initialization this will of course change.

From the steering flows I see both in the globals and the WV/IR presentations from the GOES satellites I'd give it a 50% shot at missing Hispanola to the north, which is not good news for either Florida or the Gulf. If it "shoots the rapids" between the Florida mainland and Cuba we could have a really nasty situation on our hands; the "good view" is that this requires an almost precision run by the storm, and just on the probability numbers that's not a good bet to take.

I'd give this a 6-in-10 shot at being Cindy within 48-72 hours. The $64,000 question is on steering and I've got a lot rolling around in my head on that right now, given the players on the table. 90L is moving ENE and the disturbance off the Carolinas looks to be flattening out and diffusing as well. If 90L gets out of the way - and I think it will, based on the movement I see so far - then there's a "slot" for 99L to travel through north of Hispanola. It then becomes a question of what the High that is currently over the FL/AL border does, and WHEN - we're talking about something 4-5 days out in terms of risk of an impact on Florida, or sometime into early next week if it goes into the Gulf.

IMHO its too early to prognosticate on track and we need to focus on the genesis of this thing. If it spins up and doesn't run into Hispanola then it will be time to worry about where she's going, and by then the globals should have a decent handle on the environment.

You mean becoming "Chris"..

Edited by Storm Cooper (Mon Jul 31 2006 06:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: TWO at 530 [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #68633 - Mon Jul 31 2006 06:00 PM

Hey guys,
looks to me like 99l could become 03l at anytime. satellite imagery shows the LLCc becoming better defined and becoming drawn more to the convective activity in the eastern semi-circle. convection also seems to be on the up. i think we may see an upgrade at the next cycle this evening, if not before. certainly the one to watch.

regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

weather_wise911
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Re: 99L [Re: Genesis]
      #68634 - Mon Jul 31 2006 06:03 PM

...Personally...
I`m favoring the "NGPI" up to about 36-48 HRS........ after that, "LBAR".... or "BAMS" look good.

Based on 18:00 model run.

Can you give us a link to the 18Z runs you are looking at in your post...

WW-911

Edited by weather_wise911 (Mon Jul 31 2006 06:53 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: TWO at 530 [Re: Rich B]
      #68635 - Mon Jul 31 2006 06:48 PM

I would not say that TD Three is on the verge of forming, yet at least. The NHC will probably wait until recon to pull the trigger, and the last I heard, they didn't have a recon scheduled (just on standby). The thing looks more organized than it is, I think, based upon the most recent TWO.

If the organization continues, recon will probably fly into the system tomorrow, and we'll have Chris.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

weather_wise911
Weather Hobbyist

Re: 99L [Re: weather_wise911]
      #68636 - Mon Jul 31 2006 06:52 PM

Go here....

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

WW-911

Edited by weather_wise911 (Mon Jul 31 2006 07:24 PM)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: 99L [Re: weather_wise911]
      #68637 - Mon Jul 31 2006 07:10 PM

WW what synoptic developments do you see favoring the BAMS and the LBAR? This probably belongs in a PM

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather Junkie

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: 99L [Re: craigm]
      #68638 - Mon Jul 31 2006 07:23 PM

99L is looking a bit better organized this evening as expected when it got closer to the Caribbean. What I find very puzzling is (are) the low off the Carolinas, the ULL near the Bahamas and the divergence(?) east of the Bahamas. Last visible loops of the day suggest to me the the ULL may be working its way down to the surface. Check out the loop and notice the curvature of these clouds. A bit creepy to say the least IMO!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: 99L [Re: Steve H1]
      #68639 - Mon Jul 31 2006 07:26 PM

storms are back over center and growing (99L).... would expect a TD upgade to follow if the storms can hold against the shear and dry air....... now watching the NAVY.... they have a sat about to do an overpass soon i think i saw.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-rgb.html

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: 99L [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #68640 - Mon Jul 31 2006 07:37 PM

Floater 1 is over 99l now enjoy http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-wv.html

Tropicbird

Reged: Tue
Loc: near Homestead, FL
Re: 99L [Re: saluki]
      #68643 - Mon Jul 31 2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

The big inhibiting factor then is going to be whether it runs over Hispanola or not - if it does, it'll get ripped up good.

Guess it's time to log on officially and begin hardcore tracking. Good luck to all out there in the 2006 season!

One question: is a storm less affected by passage over Hispaniola's mountains if it is weak at the time?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: 99L [Re: Tropicbird]
      #68644 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:02 PM

Nothing to officially track YET... and no, the mountains will be just as effective on a weak storm, I imagine.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: 99L [Re: Tropicbird]
      #68645 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:06 PM

Mountains would diminish the surface low. This would help destabilize the system and hamper it's strength. It could recapture its loss once it leaves the island area but other aspects of climatology must be there to help regenerate the system.

--------------------
________2017 Forecast: 12/6/3________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: 99L and other waves [Re: Hugh]
      #68646 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:07 PM Attachment (367 downloads)

In fact true, Not to officially track yet but to watch. New Invest 90L looks poor tonight. African wave will become a tropical system possibly our first hurricane according to the models. Though looks like it will stay out of our way.. FOR NOW.... Things change (words of Batman)
99L looks great tonight. TD3 will possibly be brewing tommorrow afternoon I believe. Or... it could loose its convection. Folks like me in Florida have to watch this carefully but should be more of a rainmaker as usual. Watch the tropics this week 3 possible storms on the horizon....

What does your attachment have to do with the Main Page or tropics in general?

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Edited by Storm Cooper (Mon Jul 31 2006 08:30 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: 99L (loop is incredible thanks) [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #68647 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:33 PM

That's an incredible loop there...

We are talking a Tropical Depression/closed system. It doesn't have to fit a tropical storm's parameters to be a tropical depression... I've seen tropical storms that didn't look as organized and were more lopsided.

Interesting to see what they decide though imagine they will wait til the morning to classify and then send planes in to see if it deserves a name not a number.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

weather_wise911
Weather Hobbyist

Re: 99L (loop is incredible thanks) [Re: LoisCane]
      #68648 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:38 PM

Quote:

I've seen tropical storms that didn't look as organized and were more lopsided.

I agree 100%!!

I mean, its obvious that this is a tropical depression, if not low-end T.S.
But, model guidence is still "all over the place." Since the NHC relies so much on forecast modles... mabey thats it.
They simply are not ready to issue a forecast track, lol.

WW-911

This system is hardly a low-end TS - nowhere near it yet. Comments like this, without rationale, belong in the Forecast Lounge - not on the Main Page.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Jul 31 2006 09:05 PM)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
03L noname [Re: weather_wise911]
      #68649 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:43 PM

NRL lists it as 03L NONAME Now

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

TD Three forms [Re: weather_wise911]
      #68650 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:43 PM

Edit because someone else beat me to it... but...

It'll be interesting to see what the models do now that it's formed.

--------------------
Hugh

Edited by Hugh (Mon Jul 31 2006 08:44 PM)

weather_wise911
Weather Hobbyist

Re: TD Three forms *DELETED* [Re: Hugh]
      #68651 - Mon Jul 31 2006 08:55 PM

Post deleted by weather_wise911

Edited by Storm Cooper (Mon Jul 31 2006 09:00 PM)

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: 03L noname [Re: NewWatcher]
      #68666 - Mon Jul 31 2006 09:53 PM

I am going to keep this as polite and kind to NHC as possible, while still getting my point across.

It seems to me that NHC is waiting for NONAME to hit 35 knots before stepping up.

Everyone else is on board with 99l being a Depression, already.

Perhaps a little education is in order. NHC indeed knows that this system is a Tropical Depression. NHC is the agency that tells NRL that they intend to upgrade (or downgrade) a tropical system. In this case, when NRL gets the upgrade notification from NHC, NRL changes the designation on their site to NONAME. If it is rather close to the next normal bulletin time, NHC then notifies the media of the upcoming change that will be reflected in the next set of advisories. The only reason that you are on board with 99L being a TD is because NHC made it happen.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Jul 31 2006 10:15 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 33992

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center