F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #81857 - Sun Aug 17 2008 08:11 PM

Agree, she looks to be really trying to pull it together.

It's really important people not confuse Fay with a fully formed Hurricane. Until she wraps her convection will be messy, lopsided and affect a larger area than normally a hurricane might. She is harder to predict because of this and the NHC has been very on the money so far which is good.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/tpw2/natl/main.html

An amazing tool.

Is it possible the frontal boundary in the Gulf will absorb the ULL?

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html

Is that possible I wonder.

Far away bands are moving into the area. Ironically if this was a very organized storm there would be less of Florida impacted.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: LoisCane]
      #81858 - Sun Aug 17 2008 08:45 PM

I noticed the 5PM from the NHC moves the storm substantially west. No discussion yet. Anybody know why?

West FL Jess
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #81859 - Sun Aug 17 2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

I noticed the 5PM from the NHC moves the storm substantially west. No discussion yet. Anybody know why?

It is usually up right at 5PM...

--------------------
~jess~

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: LoisCane]
      #81860 - Sun Aug 17 2008 08:54 PM

I think I have to disagree. The center is still exposed on the edge of the convection all of which is on the east side. I dont see a whole lot thats better right now

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Quotes [Re: LoisCane]
      #81861 - Sun Aug 17 2008 08:56 PM

Please try to refrain from using the " QUOTE " button. At present there are over 600 users on the site and it clutters up the posts.

Use the PM function for one sentence replies to another user.
The board is locked down and you must be a registered user to post.

Thanks

redhot47fl

Reged:
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: WeatherNut]
      #81863 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:08 PM

Lee-Delray:

Nothing in particular should be read into the tardy arrival of a forecast discussion, though it sometimes follows a significant change in the accompanying forecast.

The forecast discussion often is the most intricate, difficult and sensitive part of the package to assemble -- with other forecasters and members of the public combing it for insights or clues -- and it can be delayed by late-arriving data.

NHC forecasters aspire to release the entire package at once, but it is not unusual for the discussion to follow behind the rest of the package.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Green Light [Re: danielw]
      #81865 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:14 PM

Apprently Fay is overcoming the obstacles that were in her path.
The Funk Top enhancement below shows a tiny green dot of a Hot Tower near the Center.

Latest Discussion holds Fay at 45 kts. But RECON has not sampled the NE Quadrant... due to overflight restrictions in Cuban airspace.

http://i.flhurricane.com/images/2008230_2015ft_s.jpg

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 17 2008 10:01 PM)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Green Light [Re: danielw]
      #81866 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:16 PM

What does the Green mean Daniel?

edit: the Green is a very high cloud top on a thunderstorm. Nicknamed " Hot Tower" as they help add energy to a tropical cyclone. Similar to a fuel pump on an engine.~danielw

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 17 2008 09:34 PM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
      #81869 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:35 PM Attachment (299 downloads)

Where as the convection has cold cloud tops the center is on the western edge. It is also having to deal with a punch of dry air that is getting incorporated...I have attached a graphic pointing to both of these issues to make it easier to see

--------------------

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Green Light [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81870 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:35 PM

What do you think the chances Orlando will get a lot of rain out of this thing?

Please..this is something that needs to be posted in another forum...there is no good answer to your question right now because it depends on where landfall actually is..thx! Colleen

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

Edited by Colleen A. (Sun Aug 17 2008 09:47 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Green Light [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #81871 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:41 PM Attachment (272 downloads)

Looking at recent recon data... looks to me that the center went west in the last 2 hrs... the vortex data should be in the next 10mins. based on my calculations from the last fix... it went about 15 miles to the west.. around 20.88N 80.13W... will see in a little bit.

**note since recon is at 5kft.. it may not be the surface center.. but they did circle around the above area i mentioned**

Vortext Data shows 82 F at the Surface and 1003mb

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Aug 17 2008 09:51 PM)

B_from_NC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #81872 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:44 PM

This time of day, with the sun casting its shadow, gives us a great look at the center using the Visible and RGB loops.
Fay is indeed slowing down as the NHC mentioned, and with that occurring the mid/upper convection will be on top of her shortly.

--------------------
Lived in S. Fla from '90-'07...
Put up and took down way too many hurricane shutters!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Green Light [Re: B_from_NC]
      #81874 - Sun Aug 17 2008 10:54 PM

Am I losing my mind (probably), or has Fay stopped dead in its tracks over the last couple of hours? Looking at the AVN loop, it appears that Fay increased in size, but did not move much in any direction.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Green Light [Re: B_from_NC]
      #81875 - Sun Aug 17 2008 10:56 PM

Now it looks like the LLC is either not moving at all, or it has reformed back under the heavier convection. This is a weak TS and reformations can happen with this type of storm as it tries to organize

--------------------

B_from_NC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Green Light [Re: Hugh]
      #81877 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:01 PM

You are not losing your mind... the only way for her to turn north is to seemingly "stop" for a bit. Convection is now beginning to fire almost on top of the center as the rest of the storm which has been behind her has caught up too. Link

--------------------
Lived in S. Fla from '90-'07...
Put up and took down way too many hurricane shutters!

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #81878 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Am I losing my mind (probably), or has Fay stopped dead in its tracks over the last couple of hours? Looking at the AVN loop, it appears that Fay increased in size, but did not move much in any direction.

You aren't the only one, the Hurricane Center has done a good job so far with this maddening system, Masters over at underground nicknamed it the Joker, and it is pretty fitting. I think the Hurricane Center has a good grip on it, but as mentioned by the official NHC discussion, that angle of approach is similar to Charley, and it just leaves a wide open area where the storm could impact.

Here's a plot with both Charley and Fay on it (click)

Fay is a lot weaker than Charley was at this point, though, so I don't think a repeat is in the cards.

** NOTE this has to do with difficulty forecasting an exact landfall point, other than that it has no similarity to Charley. **

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Green Light [Re: WeatherNut]
      #81879 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:03 PM

The COC is becoming much better organized as shown on Cuban radar, but it is fighting SW vertical shear, as the outflow in the SW quadrant is going between good and ragged looking. Shouldn't be too much longer we should be able to pick the COC up on Key West long range radar.

Hurricane Charley 2004 (NE eyewall)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Green Light [Re: charlottefl]
      #81882 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:14 PM

According to you guys here that know what weather and hurricanes are, is Florida getting Feeder bands from Fay?

I am getting thunderstorms here, and think they are feeder bands of Fay is this correct?

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Green Light [Re: MikeC]
      #81883 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

You aren't the only one, the Hurricane Center has done a good job so far with this maddening system, Masters over at underground nicknamed it the Joker, and it is pretty fitting. I think the Hurricane Center has a good grip on it, but that angle of approach is similar to Charley, and it just leaves a wide open area where the storm could impact.

The concern I have, Mike, is that with a stalled storm, traditionally, ALL bets were off. If I remember correctly, Charley stalled for a time off the coast, ramped up, and then shifted to a completely new and unexpected track, taking out Punta Gorda. Years ago, Hurricane Elana stalled and did an about face, then did a loop-de-loop. A tropical system that isn't moving is about the most unpredictable thing in the world, I've found from experience.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #81886 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:21 PM

Yes, I see what you mean with the stall, that just makes it all the more maddening right now, as far as trying to figure out where it will go and how strong, when it starts to move I'll keep track.

I have to sign off probably until 11AM tomorrow so this is the last detailed look i'll get at the storm until then.

The rest of the mets and other people here should be able to pick up the slack, and with watches up, the local media and officials are a better source of info than what you hear on the Internet anyway.

The clouds over southern Florida were part of the usual synaptic flow, but they are getting influenced and enhanced by fay it seems, I'd let a real Met describe that a bit better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 74762

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center