F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #87939 - Tue Jun 29 2010 02:25 AM

Looks like alex is in a strengthening stage... how long it will last? i think a few more hours then prolly a hold over night... then tmrw the setup looks ideal~

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 29th day of the month at 02:18Z
Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 304)
Storm Number & Year: 01L in 2010
Storm Name: Alex (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 7
Observation Number: 10
A. Time of Center Fix: 29th day of the month at 2:05:00Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 20°52'N 91°33'W (20.8667N 91.55W)
B. Center Fix Location: 97 miles (156 km) to the NW (317°) from Campeche, Campeche, México.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 556m (1,824ft) at 925mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 50kts (~ 57.5mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 18 nautical miles (21 statute miles) to the ENE (65°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 157° at 68kts (From the SSE at ~ 78.3mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 17 nautical miles (20 statute miles) to the ENE (65°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 985mb (29.09 inHg) - Extrapolated
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 20°C (68°F) at a pressure alt. of 761m (2,497ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 24°C (75°F) at a pressure alt. of 756m (2,480ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 22°C (72°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Not Available
M. Eye Shape: Not Available
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 925mb (If this vortex is from mid 1990's or earlier 925mb might be incorrect. See note.)
O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 2 nautical miles
Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 68kts (~ 78.3mph) in the northeast quadrant at 1:59:00Z
Sea Level Pressure Extrapolation From: 925mb

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Jun 29 2010 02:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #87940 - Tue Jun 29 2010 02:29 AM

Also max flight level winds 68kts

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

kpthras7
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: WeatherNut]
      #87941 - Tue Jun 29 2010 02:40 AM

okay quys what is your best quess on where alex will wind up?

(Go back and read the purpose of this site - and pay attention to the guidance from the National Hurricane Center. )

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 29 2010 03:29 AM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: Unregistered User]
      #87942 - Tue Jun 29 2010 02:45 AM

Here come the Changes!

0300 UTC TUE JUN 29 2010

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY...

A HURRICANE WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE COAST OF TEXAS SOUTH OF
BAFFIN BAY TO THE MOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE.............

TROPICAL STORM CENTER LOCATED NEAR 21.0N 91.6W AT 29/0300Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 25 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTH OR 0 DEGREES AT 4 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 985 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 55 KT WITH GUSTS TO 65 KT.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Jun 29 2010 02:46 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #87946 - Tue Jun 29 2010 03:24 AM

The burst up in the satellite image is similar looking to what happened to Alex before landfall in Belize, it's fairly likely we'll wake up to a Hurricane in the morning.

The NOAA Gulfstream IV jet that was flying around today took measurements all over the gulf that hopefully will feed into the models tomorrow.

Some types of Evacuation orders for South Padre Island already exist.

mwillis
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape canaveral
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: MikeC]
      #87949 - Tue Jun 29 2010 04:43 AM

its amazing how quickly Alex regained convection, looks like he's pullingair from the Pacific ocean and Central America.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/avn-l.jpg

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Leesburg, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: mwillis]
      #87950 - Tue Jun 29 2010 05:17 AM

A reminder...this site is NOT to be used as official information.
There are many qualified individuals that post here, however, we all need to pay attention to the official NHC forecasts.

edited: see Note at the bottom of the page.

Edited by danielw (Tue Jun 29 2010 05:32 AM)

Fairhopian
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: k___g]
      #87951 - Tue Jun 29 2010 06:57 AM

The NHC discussion mentions that, even though Alex's movement has been to the north for the past several hours, the forecast track still shows a gradual bend to the west due to a mid-level ridge building from the north. When does this storm cross the threshhold into creating its own environment? Is 600 miles in every direction from its center not enough? Also, why does the GFDL not bring this storm to hurricane strength at any point despite the abated sheer above and warm, warm water below?

Raymond
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Germany
Alex will become a hurricane. [Re: Fairhopian]
      #87952 - Tue Jun 29 2010 07:11 AM

It´s already very close to hurricane status. The last recon pass showed 73 kt FL winds in the NE quadrant.
It isnßt believable, that there won´t be any development in the next two days. On the other hand it doesn´t look like as phases of rapid intensification are very likely. So the NHC scenario should be really the best bet. Lets´s see.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Alex will become a hurricane. [Re: Raymond]
      #87954 - Tue Jun 29 2010 11:10 AM

Some energy is being "Spit off" to the north, while the core of the system remains far south, the northwest quadrant is in bad shape compared to the rest of the system.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Alex will become a hurricane. [Re: MikeC]
      #87955 - Tue Jun 29 2010 12:13 PM

Not too much new other than a lower pressure at 8AM. There are more signs a movement toward the northwest have begun, however.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 29 2010 01:52 PM)

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Alex will become a hurricane. [Re: Raymond]
      #87956 - Tue Jun 29 2010 12:22 PM

I disagree with Alex undergoing rapid intensification. There is no evidence on satellite imagery to believe Alex is going to "bomb out" today and undergo rapid intensification.

1. It is a huge system.
2. There is no complete inner core
3. Piece of long wave trough has broken off over TX with small upper lows over TXOK and NM has depicted on water vapor imagery.
4. Winds aloft over TX are from the SW and over LA from the N as depicted on water vapor.
5. Upper low over the Hudson Bay continues to dig and sink southward pinching the Bermuda Ridge south with axises over the entire Gulf coast and to the south over the FL peninsula with flow there from the N to the S
6. Upper low off the east coast of FL
7. Alex is elongated from North to South; shear is about 10 knots N to S
8. Flow over TX being SW to NE and over Alex N to S is indicative of either a bubble high between TX and Alex or an extension of the Bermuda High between the two ever so narrow.
9. Discussion out of Slidell, LA talks about an inverted trough over the state...Two schools of thought...one's Alex and the other is the trough over TX and a piece of shortwave energy is rotating inverted around it, albeit weak.

Conclusion....Alex will become a hurricane; pressure is indicative it should be, but too many negative factors for rapid intensification...

Now...watch me be wrong....Waiting on the 29/12Z Upper Air package!

Y'all have a nice day...

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Alex will become a hurricane. [Re: berrywr]
      #87957 - Tue Jun 29 2010 12:26 PM

Latest vortex message....

URNT12 KNHC 291153
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL012010
A. 29/11:29:00Z
B. 22 deg 22 min N
092 deg 37 min W
C. 850 mb 1276 m
D. 57 kt
E. 087 deg 19 nm
F. 145 deg 70 kt
G. 063 deg 68 nm
H. 983 mb
I. 17 C / 1521 m
J. 20 C / 1525 m
K. 18 C / NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 12345 / 8
O. 0.02 / 0 nm
P. AF306 0801A ALEX OB 05
MAX FL WIND 70 KT NE QUAD 11:05:30Z
MAX FL TEMP 21 C 089 / 6 NM FROM FL CNTR
RADAR SHOWS PARTIAL EYEWALL NE AND MULTIPLE THIN SPIRAL BANDS

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

mcgowanmc
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: NW ARKANSAS
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: Fairhopian]
      #87958 - Tue Jun 29 2010 01:07 PM

That's what I've been wondering.

I've followed the models/sat's and watched and watched since coming ashore
N of Belize that the NHC has been throwing Alex into Mexico.

With some saying it would not get into the BOC.

Meanwhile since emerging into the BOC it's XTRP(Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog .... XTRP is the extrapolated movement, or the track the storm would take if it didnt change direction or speed. ...)
has gone from W to NW to NNW (with nothing but outlier models
predicting this Sun PM.

As the Models continue, as Alex has moved another 250-300 miles to the North,
with outflow now to be seen in the NW quadrant, to throw Alex now almost due W...

CLIPER5( and LBAR the only outliers following the XTRP) is a statistical track model originally developed in 1972 and extended to provide forecasts out to 120 h (5 days) in 1998. As the name implies, the CLIPER5 model is based on climatology and persistence. It employs a multiple regression technique that estimates the relationships between several parameters of the active TC to a historic record of TC behavior to predict the track of the active TC. The inputs to the CLIPER5 include the current and past movement of the TC during the previous 12_ and 24_hour periods, the direction of its motion, its current latitude and longitude, date, and initial intensity. CLIPER5 is now used primarily as a benchmark for evaluating the forecast skill of other models and the official NHC forecast, rather than as a forecast aid.

Something has got to happen in the next 6 hours. Alex has got to stall, then turn
or get ripped apart by whatever is going to be throwing it into Mexico S of Texas.
IMHO
like the NHC track still has it.

The Curious Incident of the Hurricane Dynamical Models One thing that strikes me(Dr. Rob Carver substituting for jeff@ Wunderblog as odd about Alex is that neither the GFDL nor the HWRF have been intensifying the storm into a hurricane in the past few model runs. This is intriguing because Alex is already a strong tropical storm(70mph now). It will bear watching to see if GFDL/HWRF continue this pattern for future storms.

Alex is moving toward the north-northwest near 12 mph. A turn toward the northwest is expected later today... followed by a gradual turn toward the west-northwest on Wednesday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 70 mph... with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours... and Alex is likely to become a hurricane later today.

So shoot me. I don't know, eh. ;}

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: mcgowanmc]
      #87959 - Tue Jun 29 2010 01:34 PM

An impressive thing, (at least for me) is the area of precipitation that Alex is spinning off. Yesterday morning we had some good sized thunderstorms go through the area. Intense ground to cloud lightning, and an almost constant rumble of thunder.

This morning so far we have had a good 15 minutes or so of a tropical downpour. Plus radar is showing more on the way.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=EVX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: Trekman]
      #87964 - Tue Jun 29 2010 02:57 PM

Hard to tell definitely yet (more tme will be needed) but the motion may be more wnw now. If so the area immediately south of Texas would be the most likely point of land fall.
Watching the ULL east of florida as it continues to retrograded wsw toward the state. Not much low level development there, but certainly has moist environment captive. Some evidence of a lower level circuation in the visible.

--------------------
doug

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: mcgowanmc]
      #87965 - Tue Jun 29 2010 03:00 PM

To answer a few questions:
The thought that a hurricane can get strong enough to change its surrounding environment to the extent that the changed environment can alter the track (or intensity) of the hurricane is now considered to be a myth by most tropical meteorologists - at least as far as the 'track change' capability goes. For intensity, a strong storm generates a stronger anticyclone aloft (because of the outflow) so a minor environmental increase in intensity is possible (with ocean heat content as the primary driver for intensification - or decay). In rare cases a Cat V Hurricane may seem to alter the environment, but in order for a tropical cyclone to attain Cat V, the environment cannot be hostile to begin with.

Now for the models. For the last couple of days, NHC has consistently stated in the Discussion bulletin that the east coast trough that cause a northward drift of Alex (and created shear that hindered the intensification process) would lift out to the north and east and that the western extention of the Atlantic ridge would redevelop over the northern Gulf of Mexico and curve Alex off to the northwest and eventually west northwest as that redevelopment occured. That process started last night and will continue today, tonight and tomorrow. There is nothing magical or complex about it - it is a very simple meteorological process. The models react based upon the data that is available for any given model run - and since that data varies, so does the model outputs from run-to-run. The models are guidance in determining the forecast, but they are not the forecast itself . NHC missed the last 24 hour forecast point for 29/12Z by about 25 miles - not too shabby at all.

The intensity models are also just guidance - and they are the least developed of the tropical forecasting tools - so they are often in error and NHC knows this.

Generally speaking, Alex is doing what NHC said it would do.
ED

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87966 - Tue Jun 29 2010 03:25 PM

Looks to me like an eye wall is just about closed off. I think when it does there will be some substantial deepening as the water heat content increases

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches Up for Alex [Re: WeatherNut]
      #87968 - Tue Jun 29 2010 07:29 PM

Yeah, the storm is looking much healthier this afternoon on Satellite. Rainbow IR shows that the entire center is pretty much wrapped up in convection. The western side of the storm is still pretty dry on convection, but apart from that, I wouldn't be suprised to see Alex upgraded to hurricane status next advisory.

EDIT: Eyewall shows up pretty well on current Water V. images.

Edited by JoshuaK (Tue Jun 29 2010 07:30 PM)

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Alex - Left Turn, now moving W to WNW? [Re: JoshuaK]
      #87969 - Tue Jun 29 2010 08:53 PM

Tell me if y'all think the center of Alex has made a sharp left turn and is now moving W to WNW in the past few hours. Alex likely to be hurricane at 11 pm ET...next package. Thanks!

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24972

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center