Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season begins on June 1st, 2019 and ends on Nov 30th, 2019.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 64 (Michael) , Major: 64 (Michael) Florida - Any: 64 (Michael) Major: 64 (Michael)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2012 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Debby to Sit and Spin off the Florida Panhandle [Re: WeatherNut]
      #92953 - Mon Jun 25 2012 04:57 PM

Excellent observation...center has reformed to just barely offshore Appalachiacola, FL...visible imagery has the tiniest of centers there.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weatherhead
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Florida
Re: Slow Moving Debby's Center Nearly Onshore, Flooding Rains to Continue [Re: MikeC]
      #92962 - Mon Jun 25 2012 08:24 PM

I believe the center is now moving S or SSW, unless it is a wobble or being elongated. We'll have to wait and see for the next fix, I guess. Below is a link to the NHC radar.
Please correct if I see this wrong.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=TLH&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Edited by weatherhead (Mon Jun 25 2012 08:28 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Slow Moving Debby's Center Nearly Onshore, Flooding Rains to Continue [Re: weatherhead]
      #92964 - Mon Jun 25 2012 09:44 PM

I have a question. it's one of those murky areas ...some years there is much discussion and other years not though mostly related to west bound tropical waves.

Why is this not considered a decoupled system... she definitely seems to have two centers... upper or mid level and another lower level. I've seen waves and depressions where the NHC waxed poetic on this... but this storm that hovers just off of the coast seems to fit that basic... example.

Watching a long loop of the visible floater you can see one part moving consistently and the other anchored back below barely moving. Not just blow ups but what seems to be the storm moving. I know... "seems" isn't fact.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/04L/flash-vis-long.html

Trying to understand this difficult to understand storm.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Slow Moving Debby's Center Nearly Onshore, Flooding Rains to Continue [Re: LoisCane]
      #92965 - Tue Jun 26 2012 12:24 AM

I will take a crack at answering your questions - 1) West moving tropical waves have their weather "behind" the wave and not in front of them; whereas with shortwaves and troughs generally have their weather in front relative to movement. 2) Debby is not decoupled for a couple of reasons; one she's not vertically deep but is depicted on upper air analysis with a circulation to at least 500 millibars or 18,000 feet MSL as she currently is this evening; two, looking at the water vapor imagery this evening, Debby isn't much more vertical than depicted at 500 millibars; there is no cyclonic or anticyclonic rotation evident. What is evident is the deepening trough along the Eastern Seaboard as heights continue to fall along the coast and winds aloft at 300 millibars or 30,000 feet MSL depict winds coming around at Charleston, SC from ESE to NW. The 26/03Z discussion has indicated that the low level center is subject to re-define itself dependent upon where convection fires so expect more vortices and a jumping of coordinates.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Joeyfl
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: St.Pete,FL
Re: Slow Moving Debby's Center Nearly Onshore, Flooding Rains to Continue [Re: berrywr]
      #92977 - Tue Jun 26 2012 08:12 PM

Well TD Debby is now moving more to southeast is located right over Cedar key and this is reflected by 997mb pressure there. After coming just barely ashore in Dixie county.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center