Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Extreme flooding underway in parts of SE TX from now TD Imelda. Jerry continues to strengthen. #96L in Carib another possible flood-maker
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 13 (Dorian) , Major: 344 (Michael) Florida - Any: 344 (Michael) Major: 344 (Michael)
40.0N 58.0W
Wind: 100MPH
Pres: 965mb
Moving:
Nne at 20 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
18.5N 59.6W
Wind: 100MPH
Pres: 989mb
Moving:
Wnw at 16 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
Pending... Storm 11Click for Invest Information from CIMSS
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2019 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
hurricanetracker
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: Bloodstar]
      #100551 - Mon Sep 02 2019 04:13 PM

could it possibly get pulled west more?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeorgeN
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Wesley Chapel FL
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: hurricanetracker]
      #100552 - Mon Sep 02 2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Here's a question, Is there any risk of the system in the gulf interacting with Dorian and shifting the track.

I'm thinking about the Fujiwara effect.

There is a possibility though that effect has not been documented when there is a large land mass between the storms. I'll watch the basin images more closely. It's quite an interesting hypothesis.

I've actually been impressed with the forecast models this time, though I'm learning to discredit extrapolation error. I would really like to see spaghetti models that end at the point where the forecast model has less than 90% confidence. Extrapolation beyond that point is not advisable and often brings doubt on the forecast model. Has anyone looked for leading indicators abound the models for this storm? I'm curious to know which ones have signaled change and why.

JMII , I for one don't think you would get fired if you were at the NHC. Government staff know how to censure themselves from making career limiting statements.

--------------------
Wesley Chapel FL

Edited by GeorgeN (Mon Sep 02 2019 04:51 PM)

Mike V
Weather Watcher

Loc: Miami, FL
      #100553 - Mon Sep 02 2019 04:51 PM

The storm surge generated by Dorian is incredible. You need to see the footage in the various videos that are in this article. People are going to have to re-think how you build houses in hurricane zones.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/09/02/...truction-813465

These poor people are going to be in a world of hurt.

Mike V.

--------------------
Donna, Betsy, Cleo, George, Floyd, David, ANDREW (Eye wall adventure), Wilma, Katrina, Irma

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #100554 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:07 PM

It's more likely to go further east and off the coast than west at this point, but both are possible, it may get a little closer to the Florida east coast, but the NHC track is pretty good. I don't think there will be any more surprises. (Other than how bad the surge along the east coast may wind up being) Folks along the coast still may see hurricane conditions, and NC may still get clipped.

Right now the storm isn't moving at all, so I'll still be watching and waiting, I'd check back in the morning.

JMII
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #100555 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:11 PM

Its just stalled... sitting there, not moving at all. This was forecasted but watching it is brutal. Its moved maybe 30 miles in the last 20 hours? I can't see how anything will be left on the island

Not sure what to make of this with stall... with no steering currents it is still forecast to head NW but it needs to go about 30 miles NW to make its next forecast position in 3 hours. Given its pace of ZERO that seems unlikely. The eye is wobbling around, in fact it might gone slightly NE.

Reports of surge effecting Broward, Two Georges Grille (Boynton Beach) on the Intracoastal is starting to flood.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, but actually had to put up the panels for:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Frances ('04) - Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16) - Irma ('17)

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #100556 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

As usual the 5 day cone in particular is nearly worthless since it contains about 200 miles worth of error.

Not entirely worhtless, even in Dorian's case. 5 days ago, during Advisory 17A, they had the storm hinting at a recurve to the north. Yes, the Monday 8AM position was set too high and didn't account for the stall in the Bahamas (about 158nm off of the actual point), but even in that advisory the 4 day forecast spot was an error of about 62-72 nm off the actual position of the storm for 4 days out. That's actually remarkable. And we need a few more days to see if that Monday 8AM forecast position that was "off" ends up actually being close to being "on", if not for the day/time forecast. Time will tell on that one.

I'd say the NHC has almost...almost...gotten the 48 hour forecasting down to a reasonable science. They're doing real good work on the 48-96 hour range, and the 120 hour range is still fairly remarkable considering how unimaginably complex these dynamic atmospheric systems are.

--------------------
Londovir

HurricaneSteph
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: Londovir]
      #100559 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:27 PM

Last couple of frames look like a turn to NE has begun...

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=05L&product=ir

--------------------
HurricaneSteph
Orlando

Edited by HurricaneSteph (Mon Sep 02 2019 05:28 PM)

Rhino

Reged: Wed
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: HurricaneSteph]
      #100560 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:51 PM

It's not moving, those are nothing but wobbles. NE motion won't start until tomorrow

OrlandoDan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: Rhino]
      #100561 - Mon Sep 02 2019 05:52 PM

18Z GFS is coming in. Its showing a slight jog east.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

IndianRockswx

Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: HurricaneSteph]
      #100562 - Mon Sep 02 2019 06:00 PM

Looks that way, and the Northwest side is getting pushed back flat too...
https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite?satellite,26.647,-78.898,7

hurricanetracker
Verified CFHC User

Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: IndianRockswx]
      #100563 - Mon Sep 02 2019 06:47 PM

if hurricane Dorian was to weaken more... would it be easier to be pushed west or pulled up?

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc:
      #100565 - Mon Sep 02 2019 08:59 PM

Been staring at and refreshing the Long Range Base Reflectivity out of MLB, and Dorian is on the move (as of about 8:45pm)

hurricanetracker
Verified CFHC User

Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: engicedave]
      #100566 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:05 PM

which direction?

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Loc:
      #100567 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

which direction?

'

I'm sorry, IMO more due west

hurricanetracker
Verified CFHC User

#100568 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:08 PM

ok... estimated speed?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #100569 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Been staring at and refreshing the Long Range Base Reflectivity out of MLB, and Dorian is on the move (as of about 8:45pm)

Not seeing that on satellite yet. Looks like we are still at a dead stop.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Loc:
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: StormHound]
      #100570 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:13 PM

https://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=mlb&product=N0Z&loop=yes

JMII
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #100571 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:20 PM

Hard to tell if its moving because the eye is getting flattened a bit. Just been wobbling in place for 24 hours. The NW in particular is being influenced by the ridge coming thru the SE US right now. A wedge of dry air is filling in the east. Overall outflow is being limited. Dorian has run out of warm ocean water and is stuck, trapped between several competing weather patterns. Its like a massive tug-of-war, something has to give. At one point (days ago) the storm had became elongated from NW to SE, now that has flopped. The almost perfectly round structure is going away. Not sure what to make of it but the only way out seems to be to the NE.

Kraig
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jupiter, Fl
Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: StormHound]
      #100572 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not seeing that on satellite yet. Looks like we are still at a dead stop.

Agreed....no movement other than wobbles...

--------------------
--------------------------------
2019 forecast 11/5/3

South FL Native and experienced: David ('79), Floyd ('87), Andrew ('92), Georges ('98), Irene ('99), Charlie, Frances & Jeanne ('04), Wilma ('05), Matthew ('16), Irma ('17) and Dorian ('19)

hurricanetracker
Verified CFHC User

Re: Hurricane Dorian Lounge [Re: Kraig]
      #100573 - Mon Sep 02 2019 09:38 PM

even though its not a big jog west... it looks like it took a tiny shift south west. and the Weather Channel did say it shifted a tiny bit west.

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., Atricks, danielw, Clark, Christine H, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort, Jackie M, Wigeon, Hank Buck 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 92264

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center