Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

#97L is actually looking very impressive today, but heading further out to sea regardless. Could pick up a name in real-time TBD...
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 38 (Barry) , Major: 314 (Michael) Florida - Any: 314 (Michael) Major: 314 (Michael)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2004 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Alex and the UK
      #18043 - Sun Aug 08 2004 05:06 AM

Hey guys,
well as many of you know, what was Hurricane Alex is now a deep atlantic low pressure area centred just west of Ireland. This low pressure system is set to bring widespread severe weather across much of the UK during today, into Monday and Tuesday. Although significantly weaker, what was Alex is still pretty potent. At present the UK Met. Office is warning of widespread heavy rain with flooding, totals are expected to be in the 2-3 inch range. Additionally, the weather over mainland Britain at the moment is very hot (near 30'C) and very humid. The combination of these hot and humid conditions, and an unstable and very moist atmosphere due to ex-Alex, is expected to initiaite some violent electrical storms, both ahead of the main rain bands, and embedded within.

Although not much to report yet i will endeavour to keep you all posted on this thread during the next day or two as the system becomes more established.

In the mean time, if you would like to view one of the following links you can get up-to-date observations and forecasts:

UK Met. Office - Official site of our Meteorological Office
UK WeatherWorld - a large forum community where you will find latest first hand accounts, analysis, and observations as Alex moves through.

And of course dont forget my uk site too, SeisMet, where you can see my latest predictions on this storm.

All the best

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James88
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Re: Alex and the UK [Re: Rich B]
      #18065 - Sun Aug 08 2004 01:06 PM

As of yet there has been nothing significant in my area. It's just overcast with a few spots of rain. Not much in the way of wind, just a little breezy. Maybe something will happen later.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Re: Alex and the UK [Re: James88]
      #18079 - Sun Aug 08 2004 04:04 PM

Well Alex has turned inot a bit of a no-show! Highest unofficial winds i could find gave a peak gust of 33 mph with a sustained wind of 31 mph, these reported by an observer in Ireland early this morning. General reports indicate winds below 20 mph at present. The main rain band has been narrow and fast moving, but radar imagery suggests a squall-type feature now approaching parts of southwest Scotland. There have been a few reports of thunder activity, but nothing like what the Met Office had been forecasting. The rain band is forecast to stall out tonight and is showing signs of intensification so some areas could see some high totals.

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4466

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center