Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season begins on June 1st, 2019 and ends on Nov 30th, 2019.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 134 (Michael) , Major: 134 (Michael) Florida - Any: 134 (Michael) Major: 134 (Michael)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2004 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

TS Charly
      #18835 - Wed Aug 11 2004 12:51 AM

They show the track for Charly for the Florida peninsula. Is this a definite, also what are the chances of him hitting somewhere along the panhandle. Are we out of the woods?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: TS Charly [Re: Anonymous]
      #18878 - Wed Aug 11 2004 08:36 AM

Do not assume you are out of the woods until the storm is dead or has moved past your area. These long range forecasts on hurricanes are only guidelines. They are not accurate before 36 hours. With the state of Florida so densely packed with people. There is not enough time to evacuate the coast lines before a major strike. This is not to frighten people who live in well constructed homes. This is a warning for people who are more or less"camping" or visiting from other states. The people who live in RV style homes need to be heading inland from your area soon. The tornados that are possible does more damage usually.The tornados can not be predicted by anyone The worst scenario would be for the cane to hug the coastline and stall like so many of our Florida storms and fronts can do. If you tour the central Florida area around Mickey Mouse land you see many many RV parks and Mobile home parks holding thousands of Citizens, many of them dependent on medications, oxygen, and not ambulatory under many circumstances. This is the area of population that gives the local meterologists and civil defense planners, nightmares. I on the other hand see a sector of the criminal population that gives me nightmares in terms of law and order problems.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Debi Hall
Unregistered

Re: TS Charly [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #18904 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:29 AM

We are flying into Tampa on Sautrday and are heading to an area called the Siesta Key's. Will we be alright to still stay with our plans and not long does the BAD weather last?

I live in Michigan and am not really aware of the Hurricane issues.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TS Charly [Re: Debi Hall]
      #18910 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:50 AM

Debi - be prepared for a long delayed flight into Tampa if the storm makes landfall anywhere near Tampa Bay. If it makes landfall in Tampa Bay or south of it I'd considered changing your plans.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TS Charly [Re: Debi Hall]
      #19031 - Wed Aug 11 2004 03:27 PM

Siesta Key is lovely, you will enjoy your stay! Assuming it doesn't get hit by Charley. However, you may want to rethink your flight plans, Tampa might not be a good place to be flying into on Saturday. Siesta Key is also a barrier island and will be evacuated for the slightest reason, so you may well find yourself without accomodations. Keep an eye on Charley, find out what the airlines can do in terms of changing flight plans as needed. Check with your accomodations in Siesta regarding their policies for storms. Many will refund or allow you to come at a later date. As for weather after a Hurricane, it's usually crisply cleanly beautiful.

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: TS Charly [Re: Anonymous]
      #19054 - Wed Aug 11 2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

for weather after a Hurricane, it's usually crisply cleanly beautiful.

While I don't expect Charly to be anything like Camille was, I think you will *wish* it was not so 'crispy' as often power is disrupted for days or weeks if a hurricane passes through. I wouldn't take much of a course change from the currently forecast to put Tampa in a 'hard-hit' area. I was without power when Camille went through Biloxi for over 4 months...and that was ON BASE. No Power means NO Air Conditioning....in August. That said, I was lucky, many people didn't have houses any more and didn't really need power, and note that Camille was in August...it's August, and if Tampa/Orlando area is hit, it will likely be on FRIDAY the 13th and you know what Murphy says about stuff like that. I sure wouldn't plan any vacations around late this week or weekend involving the West coast of Florida....or for that matter, the East coast above about the Cape, North....

Just my 2 cents worth....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4936

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center