F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Books about Tropical Cyclones
      #20834 - Wed Aug 25 2004 10:38 PM

I have been looking for books on tropical cyclones, but I can't really find anything, besides things that are pretty basic. I've really wanted to find a book on the dyanmics of forecasting hurricanes, but I as I said before there's not much. Can anyone help?

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Books about Tropical Cyclones [Re: Keith234]
      #20837 - Wed Aug 25 2004 11:08 PM

Best bet would probably be the bookstore of a nearby college or university, but I'll yield to Clark on this one.
ED

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #20844 - Thu Aug 26 2004 01:35 AM

Unfortunately...there is no de facto tropical meteorology textbook. A few dynamics books do contain material on tropical cyclones, however, and there are some other publications which may be of some help.

One in particular I can think of would be "An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology" (4th edition; 2004) by James Holton. Unfortunately, he passed away earlier this year, but his text is the standard used by nearly every major university in covering dynamical meteorology and includes a chapter on tropical cyclones. Be warned though, it's not simple material by any means and without a background in the field, it may seem foreign. You can pick up a copy online or at most college bookstores that have a meteorology/atmospheric sciences department at the school.

On a slightly lower (and more specific) level is a publication of the World Meteorological Organization. The exact name escapes me, as I don't have a copy off-hand, but it is about 10 years old and is the closest thing to a tropical meteorology textbook there is today. Actually, the name of it is "Global Perspectives on Tropical Cyclones" -- despite being ten years old, it is still very, very useful and should cover most of what you are looking for. The problem is finding a copy -- as it is a WMO publication, you can't pick up a copy at a bookstore or online or anything. You can dig around the WMO page at http://www.wmo.ch/ for more details; I'm trying to get further information about ordering a copy, as I'm interested in having a copy myself (I know someone who has one, but it's on oblong sized paper (8.5"x14") and copying over 300 pages isn't the easiest thing to do) and will let you know if/when I find out anything more.

Hope this helps, at least some.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Books about Tropical Cyclones [Re: Clark]
      #20850 - Thu Aug 26 2004 08:48 AM

I have found 3 books on tropical meteorology, the first being the best, has anyone heard of them.
1.Forecasters Guide to Tropical Meteorology, Published 2004 and written by Gray Atkinson.
2.17th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology
3.Tropical Meteorology, Oceanography, and Climate.

I'm still looking and should add to this list.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #20871 - Thu Aug 26 2004 11:58 AM

Haven't heard of those, except for the second one. That is a 12-14 year old conference proceedings guide from the AMS; they just held the 26th (I believe) such conference this year down in Miami in May. Generally, the only way to get those programs is to find an old copy from someone or actually attend the meeting...so recent ones may not be so readily available.

Regarding the second text I mentioned last time -- you can order it from the AMS by e-mailing wmopubs@ametsoc.org and asking about WMO Technical Document No. 693, "Global Perspectives on Tropical Cyclones." No word on a price, however.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Books about Tropical Cyclones [Re: Clark]
      #21001 - Fri Aug 27 2004 01:42 PM

Thanks, I'll check this out, I might need this for college.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5001

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center