F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Models use of history [Re: Floridacane]
      #21450 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:11 AM

Quote:

Neither do I. I just now looked up my coordinates at http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer-tbl and it says that I am at
28.01N 80.67W

THis might make you feel a teeny tad better...from the 11pm forecast:

96hr VT 03/0000z 24.5n 74.5w 110 kt
120hr VT 04/0000z 26.5n 77.0w 110 kt

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lake Toho
Unregistered

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21451 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:12 AM

Seems like they are going more with a GFDL solution for the time being.. In past Frances forecasts they have been more inline with a compromise between UKMET and GFS solution. Think they maybe overworked writing Discussions, maybe they decided for the time being it doesnt matter what they write, and Mr Lawrence decided, tonight I instead of a compromise solution, I am just going to go with the GFDL model, as I do not need to figure coordinates, the model give me what I need and I can go back to my hand of poker with my fellow NHC.. LOL... (I digress)

Lake Toho
Unregistered

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Lake Toho]
      #21452 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:16 AM

Did anyone else find the forecast for Frances tonight ODD ? 110 Knots across the board and a track directly off the latest GFDL ?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: From the 11pm discussion [Re: Lake Toho]
      #21453 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:17 AM

...THE SHIPS MODEL FORECASTS THE WIND NEAR 110 KT THROUGH 72 HOURS AND
THEN REDUCES IT TO UNDER 100 KT AFTER 72 HOURS. THE GFDL IS
SIMILAR. THE GFS AND UKMET ARE MORE AGGRESSIVE BUT THESE MODELS
ARE NOT AS SKILLFUL AS THE SHIPS AND GFDL. THE OFFICIAL WIND SPEED
FORECAST IS 110 KT THROUGH 120 HOURS AS A COMPROMISE OF THE ABOVE
GUIDANCE...REALIZING THAT OUR SKILL AT INTENSITY FORECASTING LEAVES
SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED...ESPECIALLY AT LONGER FORECAST PERIODS.
...THE MODELS ARE IN
FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT ABOUT THIS SCENARIO ALTHOUGH THE GFS IS 50 TO
100 N MI SOUTH OF THE OTHER MODELS THROUGH 72 HOURS BUT THEN COMES
INTO BETTER AGREEMENT BY 120 HOURS WHEN ALL OF THE MODELS TEND TO
CONVERGE ON THE NORTHERN BAHAMAS. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK IS
ADJUSTED SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY THROUGH 72 HOURS
AND IS SIMILAR TO IT AT 96 AND 120 HOURS.

Edited by danielw (Mon Aug 30 2004 03:18 AM)

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
NOGAPS [Re: Lake Toho]
      #21454 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:22 AM

This model is pretty good with surf predictions, it has the storm taking a floyd recurve track through abaco then n it has the center 300 miles ne of me here in stuart shows 36+ feet out for a hundred miles and 21-26 feet just off the coast with side shore winds. The beaches here wont hold that sise surf but down in miami where its supposed to be 15-20 feet the botttom there can hold it and its forcast to be offshore winds.
So for anyone who is interested in surfing, reef road to goverment cut is the place to go on friday if we do not get hit.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Lake Toho]
      #21455 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:27 AM

Quote:

Did anyone else find the forecast for Frances tonight ODD ? 110 Knots across the board and a track directly off the latest GFDL ?

THeir reasoning seemed sound and maybe models actually can get it right once in a while. Speaking of which: http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_06.gif

--------------------
Richard

et1516
Unregistered

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Ricreig]
      #21456 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:30 AM

look only to david 1979 to see a repeat. same time of year, same intensity, cv storm, and coast hugger followed gulf stream.

et1516
Unregistered

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: et1516]
      #21457 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:33 AM

due to size and prox to coast we could be looking at a wide spread evac for the south with many not getting hit but many getting out of the way of a left hook turn. too close not to evac especially after Charley assumptions see floyd 1999 ugh...

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Models use of history [Re: Ricreig]
      #21458 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:35 AM

http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/...ion=Orlando+Fla

THis means I can retire for the evening It isnt supposed to get withing 240 mises <2% chance by 70 hours...guess I can sleep tonight, worry tomorrow.

--------------------
Richard

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Models use of history [Re: Ricreig]
      #21459 - Mon Aug 30 2004 03:41 AM

70 hours is going on three days/nights, so you should get a good nights sleep for at least the next two nights, like we all should. No reason for anyone to even think about worrying until later this week.

Bill

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Model Update [Re: BillD]
      #21460 - Mon Aug 30 2004 05:00 AM

GFS model update is up.
It shows Frances just north of the Myrtle Beach,SC area poised for a Monday, Sep 6th, afternoon/evening landfall.
**Note: This is the same model that showed Frances making a landfall in Mobile,AL on Wednesday Sep 8th. So there is quite a difference this far in advance of the storm. Don't turn your back and let your guard down. This was the 192 hour forecast model.**
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/images/gfs_slp_192s.gif

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Models use of history [Re: BillD]
      #21462 - Mon Aug 30 2004 05:05 AM

Just throwing some thoughts out here, but if Frannie decides to take a route that would lead it into the GOM, there will be a mess of royal proportions there. Being the Labor Day weekend, The main beaches on the GOM are already gonna be packed, as well as the hotels in New Orleans for Southern Decadence. I just don't see getting everyone out of those areas in time, but I don't have the experience that the EM's have.

Another scenario having Frannie come on shore in South Georgia would probably cause utter chaos because of the last mass evacuation from the Georgia Coast. You probably will not find any rooms next weekend from Valdosta probably to north of Atlanta.

Just a gut feeling, but I think that we all should head out to the Red Cross this week and donate something or anything we can, because wherever this monster hits, it's gonna be bad. I pray that it doesn't, but I'm really a bit spooked by the forecasts now.....And heck I'm up here in Atlanta......

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Recon Update [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #21463 - Mon Aug 30 2004 10:50 AM

Plane has been in and out of Frances since 06Z. First fix gave a 958mb pressure and max. flight level winds of 88kts.
Second fix gave a pressure of 958mb and maximum flight level winds of 99kts.
NHC/TPC decided to split the information from all the agencies and came up with a 105kt maximum sustained wind.
This was mainly due to 2 of the 3 satellite agencies categorizing Frances with higher wind speeds than Recon found. You can read the whole discussion by clicking "Frances", under the "Current Storms" heading. The discussion gives NHC's justification for Not lowering the wind speed.
Latest visual pics don't show the small eye. It is visible on the other shots. LSU sat pics are starting to show -75 to -80degree cloud tops on the SW quadrant.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg

Hermine: Is showing more convection at this time, and nearing the Gulf Stream.
Gaston: Remains of Gaston are drifting ENE over mid NC.
Drifting toward Hermine. Another record in the making. Having 2 cyclones in a 5deg by 10 deg area.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Models use of history [Re: BillD]
      #21464 - Mon Aug 30 2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

70 hours is going on three days/nights, so you should get a good nights sleep for at least the next two nights, like we all should. No reason for anyone to even think about worrying until later this week.

....I won't have time to worry then.

When it gets close enough to worry, I'll be packing and moving myself, my cat and my valuables to safer locations. *Then* I won't have time to worry.

For now, while I have time, I collect and evaluate information, make plans, prepare for the worst, and ... worry ...

--------------------
Richard

Edited by Ricreig (Mon Aug 30 2004 11:29 AM)

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Lest we forget... [Re: danielw]
      #21465 - Mon Aug 30 2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Plane has been in and out of Frances since 06Z.

The 5 am forecast exerpt:

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 30/0900Z 19.0N 57.3W 105 KT
12HR VT 30/1800Z 19.1N 59.2W 105 KT

This thing is CURRENTLY well south of all of us (in the US) and models or no, until it is NORTH of where you are, you are not out of danger *yet*.

I am personally glad to see the projections showing that this storm is weakening slightly and may not be Cat IV if landfall occurs, maybe not even CAT III, and am also glad that the projections also show that the storm *may* not do more than *SCARE* Florida, but I also don't wish whatever the storm remains capable of wreaking to be inflicted on any of my neighbors to the north (unless of course they are Yankees ). Now is the time to be very aware of what is happening NOW and continue preparations just in case.

--------------------
Richard

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Florida Big Bend
Re: Recon Update [Re: danielw]
      #21466 - Mon Aug 30 2004 11:43 AM

Yes, I was thinking I have never seen two cyclones so close together...amazing they aren't doing the binary interaction (fujiwhara) thing!

Also, Gaston still has an 'eye' feature this am...maybe he will regenerate once over the water??

Frances==we will see.....

sc

LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: Lest we forget... [Re: Ricreig]
      #21467 - Mon Aug 30 2004 11:43 AM

I beleive the intensity will increase as the shear decreases and she is just entering 28-30c SST's. The track is starting to show a slow wnw-nw track possible sparing south fl. but until she passes I'm on guard. :?:

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: MikeC]
      #21468 - Mon Aug 30 2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Very busy in the Tropics today.]

MikeC, if you have time please ake a look at the most recent GFS animated model:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/06/index_ten_l_loop.shtml

What is the GFS showing here? *ANOTHER* storm right behind Frances? This time impacting the Fla coast after a near miss by Frances? Is this the wave you alluded to when you started this thread? If so, you're good, very good, to have picked up on this in the midst of all of the close-in excitement.

--------------------
Richard

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Ricreig]
      #21470 - Mon Aug 30 2004 11:58 AM

I am feeling a lot better.... I have to belive that we will be spared a second on slought of Hurricanes this year. The storm can stay out to sea ..... I am hopeing that it was enough to scare the willies out of all of us and just skirt us here in Florida The radios and tv's are going bonkers... Frances is all you hear. If people didn't get the message with Charley not sure they ever will. We get our hurricane stuff together the first of June and disban it the end of October. Keep listening and paying attention should it come our way ... in several hours like 144 hours or so

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Recon Update [Re: summercyclone]
      #21471 - Mon Aug 30 2004 12:02 PM

I don't think Gaston will regenerate unless it transitions into something su-tropical, otherwise it's energy will linger but I am suprised that it still has an eye feature, that's a very organised tropical storm.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 36442

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center