F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Models [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22076 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:29 PM

That is not totally correct. The rocket they are attempting to lift off, a spy rocket, was actually scheduled for lift off days ago and the launch has been scrubbed every day , including yesterday, because of lightening in the area.. So Saturday's rocket is actually last weeks rocket...

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Brad
Unregistered

Re: ulls, high on wv, eye on visible, thanks jason...probs [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22077 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:45 PM

Lois:

"First.. why isn't Miami a 9 on probs and WPB say a 12?
Why are they both the same if the storm is supposed to come in up the coast at a higher angle? That sort of makes me wonder."

Because Miami is closer to the storm than WPB. Those probabilities only reflect the chance of the storm coming within 65 nm within 72 hours. Thus, Miami's odds on the NHC site will rise somewhat earlier than WPB's, because Miami will be in that 72-hour window several hours before WPB. Similarly, when the NHC was predicting that Charley would landfall near Tampa, the odds for cities farther South (e.g., Naples) went up before the odds for Tampa went up because most of the 3-day forecasts still had it south of Tampa.

So IF the forecast track remains the same, then the WBP odds should be slightly higher than Miami's odds in a day or two. However, because the two cities are not that far apart and because some of the same models that project a hit farther south would bring it within 65 nm of both cities, the odds for the two cities likely will not be that much different.

Brad
Unregistered

Re: ulls, high on wv, eye on visible, thanks jason...probs [Re: Brad]
      #22078 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:47 PM

And I meant, "that much different FROM EACH OTHER," not, "that much different FROM WHAT THEY ARE NOW." Of course the odds will change - likely increase - as the storm gets closer.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
NASA [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #22079 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:48 PM

Okay, well if NASA has such a great weather forecasting group, why the heck don't they launch these rockets BEFORE lightning strikes? Like in the morning? Geez louise.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Models [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #22080 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:50 PM

Toho is right on this one. My other half works for a telemetry site which tracks launches and this one was originally set to go friday but mechanical as well as weather has scrubbed it out.

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22081 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:51 PM

Colleen I was wondering the same thing about the launches........do it before the t-storms come up.

RockledgeRick
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22082 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:55 PM

Why not launch in the morning when there is less lighning? Well because certain payloads are intended for specific geo-synchronus orbits. The launch has to be specifically timed to reach a certain point over the earth while expending the least amount of fuel. It's called a "launch window" . Jeez Louise!

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: NASA [Re: Redbird]
      #22083 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:55 PM

I think the launch times are dictated by where they want the satelite to be positioned and the intended orbit. But I agreee,the wx is usually fine in the moring. Go figure.

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #22084 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:55 PM

will someone please say if central Florida is less likely to get the blunt of Frances ... in your thoghts is Jaxvl and north more likely to take the hit?

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

caneman
Unregistered

#22085 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:55 PM

OK, Gut call here. The ULL is really acclerating to the West now. This was one of the features to turn the system more West. High pressure seems to be in control over Florida. The system is picking up speed. Really just a matter of does it beat the trough in or will the trough even have an affect. I'm going with Florida storm!

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
cat 5 soon [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22086 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:56 PM

won't see a hurricane much worse than this...is 200 mph winds possible?...

sho enough...

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: JustMe]
      #22088 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:57 PM

Why would you want someone to commit to such a statement?
This far out it would be like reaching over your shoulder to scratch your butt.

caneman
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: caneman]
      #22089 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

OK, Gut call here. The ULL is really acclerating to the West now. This was one of the features to turn the system more North. High pressure seems to be in control over Florida. The system is picking up speed. Really just a matter of does it beat the trough in or will the trough even have an affect. I'm going with Florida storm!

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #22090 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:58 PM

Thunderstorms aren't exactly easy to predict. You can predict a likelihood a day or two in advance, but the exact location is almost impossible until the day of the storm.

In any case...back on topic.

Frances is looking better on satellite imagery, if not exactly symmetrical with it's convection. With the eyewall cycle from yesterday back in the past and warm water/low shear ahead, strengthening is likely for a day or two at least. I would not be surprised to see the convection go more symmetric (it's there now, but ragged along the edges) and see the storm reach to near cat 5 status...probably not yet, but during the next diurnal max.

Track -- still the million dollar question. Due to liability issues, I can't give out the Superensemble material any more, so I apologize. I will say that it pretty much follows the NHC official track from last night, however, but is higher on intensity. I'd still trend a little to the left of that, but there is considerable uncertainty with the eventual track and I'm not buying the recurvature bit...not yet at least. The further south it makes landfall, the more people it will impact and the stronger it will be. Kinda obvious, yes, but worth repeating.

No idea about what's going on outside the Frances realm today, so I'll leave it at that.

Maitland, FL
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: caneman]
      #22091 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:59 PM

If the ULL accelerates westward, does that mean Central Florida is still in the line of fire? What are your thoughts about this?

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: RockledgeRick]
      #22092 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:59 PM

Yeah but the meter ticks for those that are involved in the launch..............the scrubs and wait times do run into lots of money.

mikeG
Unregistered

Re: cat 5 soon [Re: rickonboat]
      #22093 - Tue Aug 31 2004 06:59 PM

URNT11 KWBC 311848
97779 18484 30216 67600 24400 05037 14093 /8013
RMK NOAA3 1106A Frances OB 13 KWBC

caneman
Unregistered

Re: NASA [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #22094 - Tue Aug 31 2004 07:00 PM

I gave my reasoning. It's not as if I just threw a dart at the board. My reasoning stands for itslef, albeit it could be wrong. I'm not a professional so this isn't to be taken as such. And if I'm wrong I'll gladly eat crow. BTW, at the present motion of the system it realls isn't that far out.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Caneman [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #22095 - Tue Aug 31 2004 07:01 PM

Did you mean maybe the ULL would have caused it to turn NORTH?

ShawnS

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: ulls, high on wv, eye on visible, thanks jason...probs [Re: Brad]
      #22097 - Tue Aug 31 2004 07:03 PM

Much uncertainty with regards to Frances. Models not helping much at least in the long term. GFS which continues too flip back and forth. 00Z GFS had it headed towards NC-12z now has it brushing FL coastline and lanfalling in GA. Latest spaghetti model plot has few making sharp turn toward NW-N, several bring this towrds central/N FL,and then theres a few which head it more west-WNW. I'am still up in the air on future of ridging to north as many are, for now I''ll go with ''possible'' landfall between Stuart and Jacksonville FL(or what previous NHC 5AM track was) although still a ton of question marks???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 85380

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center