F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Looters and other pleasant folk [Re: LI Phil]
      #25118 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:15 AM

Phil,
I'm afraid that part of the U.S. is going to get hit hard by a strong hurricane, then another part (mid atlantic?) is going to get flooded due to a slow-moving, decaying tropical system, with tornadoes, which seems to be happening every week anymore. With the high rainfall amounts over the east the last several weeks, it doesn't take nearly as much wind to blow trees over. This is why they say never to focus on just the eye, the storm isn't a point.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: devastation [Re: h2ocean]
      #25119 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:15 AM

It is not going to "miss" Jamaica, in fact they are already within the hurricane force wind field. They are getting the strong or dirty side of the storm. They are getting pounded now. Ivan seems to be wobbling, but the eye will pass close enough to cause major damage, even if it does not pass right over. Not to mention storm surge.

Bill

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Looters and other pleasant folk [Re: LI Phil]
      #25120 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:16 AM

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT...HURRICANE Ivan
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KEY WEST FL
815 PM EDT FRI SEP 10 2004
...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A MANDATORY EVACUATION OF KEYS RESIDENTS IS IN EFFECT. RESIDENTS SHOULD EVACUATE NOW. RESIDENTS...MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RE-ENTRY PERMIT. THE SHELTER FOR MONROE COUNTY IS LOCATED AT FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY. TAKE U.S. 1 NORTH TO THE TURNPIKE...THEN EXIT EAST ON SW 8TH STREET. FOLLOW THE SIGNS TO THE SHELTER...WHICH IS NOW OPEN. SHELTERS IN THE KEYS WILL NOT BE OPEN. TOLLS AT CARD SOUND ROAD AND ON THE FLORIDA TURNPIKE HAVE BEEN LIFTED.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS82-KEYW.shtml

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Tom Terry [Re: Rasvar]
      #25121 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:17 AM

Quote:

WFTV's Tom Terry already came on before the FSU vs Miami game and more or less said he disagrees with NHC's track. So, that will fuel the fires a bit around here.

Rasvar...what did Tom Terry say about the track? I watched him all last week with Frances and he's a heck of a good forecaster. At 5:30pm he said something to the effect of "I'm beginning to get a little more confident with this track" but not much more. They also run their own model (don't know if it's VIPIR) and that model was dead on with Frances.
I'm interested in what he had to say. Jerve and Terry aren't in it for the glory, I truly believe that they have the public's best interests at heart.
I can't even imagine what Jamaica must be going through right now. Gosh, I know that no one wants to lose their things, but that's all they are...THINGS...you can replace those, you can't replace your life. The ones I feel sorry for are the little ones whose parents decided not to leave. They must be absolutely terrified. This might not be a politically correct thing to say, but any parent who exposes their chid/children to such a catastrophic storm to save a few "things" (that probably won't be there anyway) need a good smack upside their damned heads.
Who's going to be looting with 150mph winds + the gusts and the rain anyway? That being said, I will continue to pray for those who left and those who stayed behind. Especially the children..

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Tom Terry [Re: Colleen A.]
      #25122 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:19 AM

Coleen, I'm a mom of 2 young boys. I'll make a deal with you......I'll hold 'em down while you slap 'em and then we switch. Watcha think?

--------------------
Kelly

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: devastation [Re: BillD]
      #25123 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:19 AM

Not sure where you guys are going with this only...

It's not good.

I only wish Ivan was going through it's "pon-far" but that's not likely...

Right now I'm more feeling for the Jamaican's ...because of their political/regional situation...

By next Monday, we'll have plenty of horror stories...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: devastation [Re: LI Phil]
      #25124 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:23 AM

I really feel for the Jamaican people...If you have have ever been to the island and outside of the tourist areas, you can see how the people live. The homes are not very well constructed, mostly wood shacks. A friend of mine left the island yesterday ahead of the storm.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: devastation [Re: BillD]
      #25125 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:26 AM

Just spoke to Kingston Jamaica. The person there I spoke to is extremely scared as all the can do is hear everything ripping apart outside of their house, and the howling of the winds.. Just to let you know, this is not missing Jamaica, it is hitting them and hitting them very very hard.. I never heard someone so scared in my life.. I have been through Andrew, Charley, and Frances so I know how scarey this can be.. Worse though is the aftermath of the storm.. You definitely do not need to be in the direct path of the storm to be effected by this.. Remember the cone..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

rd522525
Unregistered

#25126 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:26 AM

off topic here but the thread under this one has a post thats pretty foul u might want to delete it if you can. this guys a potty mouth...

troy
Unregistered

#25127 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:27 AM

colleen, wkmg Tom Sorrell uses VIPIR. I think Tom Terry used his own amalgamation of all the models with Frances. He did quite well I think

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: devastation [Re: rd522525]
      #25128 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:27 AM

I can do that but who's the "potty mouth?" Seems everyone here is on board...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: devastation [Re: rd522525]
      #25129 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:28 AM

I saw that post, too. I just thought they left it up to show how ignorant people with potty mouths are. If you are going to be profane, at least use correct grammer.

--------------------
Kelly

TinaLee

Reged:
Re: Tom Terry [Re: troy]
      #25130 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:29 AM

And he did an amazing job with the tornadoes that were flying all over the place in the days after Frances as well. I just sat there and watched, waiting for my neighborhood to come up!

His "everybody hunker down" has become legend in Orlando. We're thinking about getting T-shirts that say "I hunkered down with Tom Terry" !

TinaLee

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Punta Gorda evacuations [Re: rule]
      #25131 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:30 AM

Quote:

The VIS & IR floater still looks to me like a ridge-extension building to the NW of Ivan.

Ok, I think I'm punch drunk with hurricanitis...what exactly does this mean as far as the track is concerned? More to the west? More the East? A miss? I'm so confused my head's spinning.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #25132 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:30 AM

slwfreez

I talk like a truck driver and I was even a bit offended by his comments.

--------------------
Kelly

TinaLee

Reged:
Re: devastation [Re: kelcot]
      #25133 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:32 AM

Phil - it's the last post in the

Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit

thread under 2004 News Talkbacks

some Einstein by the name of slwfreez

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
      #25134 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:33 AM

slwfreez
Unregistered. that one.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #25135 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:33 AM

I have been there, but stayed on the resort, as that was the advice given to me. I did see some parts of the island near Montego Bay, from which you could see the situation that most live in, but I hear that is nothing compared to Kingston. The people at the resort treated us like gold, and I know that some will say it's because they want you back, but would we have treated them as well if the situation was reversed? Every person I walked by, bar none, would smile and greet you with a good morning, or whatever. Each one always asked if they could do anything for you, and the answer was always "No problem". Tourism is their big thing, and although some may go down there after this out of curiosity, I would expect it to hurt their industry. I said on an earlier post that I thought it was real sad that 12 hours of weather could hurt a country for years afterwards. Because of my brief experience there, but a great one, it troubles me to know what they are about to go through. They are tough people, they will survive. But they all remember Gilbert, and I'm afraid they'll remember Ivan the same way-1 storm whose name was retired due to its severity that crossed the island, and another storm that will likely have its name retired that darn near did the same thing. Sorry for rambling, but I really hate to see them go through that-that don't have the economic resources we have, although I am sure their determination is just as great.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Tom Terry [Re: kelcot]
      #25136 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:33 AM

I have two young boys, too...10 & 8. Your plan sounds fine to me.

--------------------

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Tom Terry [Re: Colleen A.]
      #25137 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:38 AM

Latest Discussion is out

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200409.disc.html

Down to an Est. 920 MB and up to 155 winds.

Edited by ShaggyDude (Sat Sep 11 2004 02:41 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26792

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center