F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Sorry - Here's the discussion too [Re: LI Phil]
      #27427 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:10 PM

I don't know that there's much to add at this point. I think Ivan will get a bit east of the forecast track, but it won't matter much. Unless the intensity gods come up with a surprise decrease, this may be the most destructive hurricane ever.

Orlando has been overcast all day, with some occasional rain. I expect the same for tomorrow.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Re: My thoughts for the day [Re: Bioman]
      #27429 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:11 PM

New report just in from Buoy 42003.

Sustained wind speed up to 54.4 kts.
Gusting up to 71.9 kts (83mph).
Pressure continues to fall.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa Area
Re: First Ivan Wind Field map [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #27430 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:12 PM

With respect to the Ivan - Frances comparison, I thought the advisory said that tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 260 miles for Ivan?

sullynole
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: buoy 42003 [Re: Bioman]
      #27431 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:13 PM

for those of you who can't get the latest report from that buoy...

Conditions at 42003 as of
(9:50 pm CDT on 09/14/2004)

Wind Direction (WDIR): ESE ( 110 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 54.4 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 71.9 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 35.8 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 13 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.38 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.02 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 79.7 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 83.7 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 79.3 °F
Heat Index (HEAT): 86.0 °F

--------------------
John

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: My thoughts for the day [Re: Kdubs]
      #27432 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:15 PM

These aren't storm surge or SLOSH models, per se, but it should give you a fairly representative idea...Once this f---er is over, I plan on gathering this info for easy dissemination...unfortunately this needs to do for now...

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/alabama/htm/hssra.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/n5ycn/camille.html

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2002/of02-206/phy-environment/recent-hurricanes.html

http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricaneopal.htm

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Sorry - Here's the discussion too [Re: StormHound]
      #27433 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:15 PM

Oh, and sorry Phil for jumping in on your moderation there. I'm a bit cranky this evening, not very patient.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
Re: Frank P .... decisions ... decisions [Re: MrSpock]
      #27434 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:15 PM

To all on here that helped Central Florida through Charley. I began visiting this site when Charley came knocking on my door. This site helped me get through the storm...until I lost power at 9:30 p.m just as "The Eye" passed over my house. I have lived in Florida since 1980 and had never been through a "Cane" before, even having lived in several other choice Cities on the Eastern side of Florida have been lucky enough not to have been in any path until Charley. I wished I had left for Charley but didn't. Charley kicked Central Florida's butt good. I don't care that it only took 3 hrs to get the eye through here, it was the most terrifying experience of my life because of the unknowing and the eventual destruction of property and lives, but at the same time exciting in way I am not sure I understand yet. But when Frances creeped up the Coast, I fled for Georgia. Mistake on my part, nothing was left at my home after Charley for Frances to destroy!!! Charley cleared the path for Frances, Ivan and possibly Jeanne. The traffic on I-75 myself and my eleven old endured to get out of here was more life threatening in the short and long runs than the storm was. I will have to say even though Charley was twice as small as the others in size it was like a bomb exploded over this part of Florida. I can't imagine the situation where you are, but nonetheless can feel your pain, and maybe possibly the excitement of the approaching Ivan. Whatever you decide to go or leave just remember it was your decision and you and your loved ones if any will have to live with the consequences before and after it hits. Take care. Thanks. I just registered today by the way. For whatever its worth.!!

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

spook
Unregistered

Re: My thoughts for the day [Re: Elaine H]
      #27435 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:16 PM

Whats the difference between a person who leaves and returns to no home and the person that leaves and the storm misses?

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: My thoughts for the day [Re: spook]
      #27436 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:19 PM

>>> Whats the difference between a person who leaves and returns to no home and the person that leaves and the storm misses?

I don't know where you're going with this spook but you BETTER TREAD LIGHTLY!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Note on Ivan [Re: MikeC]
      #27437 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:20 PM

Ivan, in it's lifetime, spent a whopping 60 hours at category 5 status. For comparison, Mitch spent 36 hours there and Isabel spent 54 hours there. The only one that beat it that I could find is Allen at 72 hours. In addition, Ivan has spent an amazing 183 hours (and counting) at category 4 or higher status throughout it's lifetime. I'm not going to go back and see if another storm can top that, but I would tend to doubt it.

With Ivan projected to make landfall as a category 3/4, it's something to keep in mind. This storm had little mercy on the islands it's gone past to date.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: First Ivan Wind Field map [Re: tenavilla]
      #27438 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

With respect to the Ivan - Frances comparison, I thought the advisory said that tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 260 miles for Ivan?

The images in the comparison are dated (above each storm). I'll make a new comparison soon. Anyone with specific storms they want included should PM me

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #27440 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:22 PM

Both played it smart and safe, and considering the unpredictable nature of these storms, that's all you can do and hope for in a situation like this. If that's supposed to be a joke...it's probably best left unsaid.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #27441 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

Whats the difference between a person who leaves and returns to no home and the person that leaves and the storm misses?

One gets to keep all his junk?

Their zip codes?

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: My thoughts for the day [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #27442 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:26 PM

New thread folks.

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
      #27444 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:29 PM

My comments weren't meant to strike up a debate/argument over saving one's life. Only a personal rationale over whether to stay or go.

N.O. Lurker
Unregistered

Re: Situation in New Orleans [Re: Kdubs]
      #27455 - Tue Sep 14 2004 11:59 PM

Saw your question about the situation in N. O. I am here and the city is taking this very seriously. About 1/2 of the city has or is evacuating. There was a run on gas last night and today and the interstates were crammed with cars leaving all day. Now the traffic is clearing up so it is getting easier to get out but there are still a lot of people hitting the road. Most stores have closed but you can still get supplies at local gas tations, etc. All national chain stores have closed. The people that are staying are breathing easier now because the storm looks to be going more to the east. I know someone who evacuated from Dauphin Island to here. We are currently expecting winds to 50mph by evening tomorrow and then possibly to hurricane force (max) by midnight Thurs to 6am Thurs (roughly). The city is quiet by our standards but the bars are full (hey its the Big Easy). They are telling us here that the window to leave the city will probably close by around noon tomorrow. Hope this helps. Good Luck to all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 43857

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center