F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: LI Phil]
      #28479 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:24 PM

Hey Phil,

I'm gonna go with the NHC too. Starting a new trend like Frank said, the anti-wishcasting spell. That attachment from Accuweather places landfall exactly on top of my house.
Speaking of showdown time, are you getting ready for the big series starting tomorrow night?

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Jeanne @ 12 & 24 hours [Re: richisurfs]
      #28480 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Guys, I gotta tell you. I've always liked Shepard Smith on Fox News but I'm slowly losing respect for this guy. I just saw him say "Next, Jeanne could be headed into Florida". Then his weather guy comes on after him and shows the NHC forecast and says "while it could come into Florida , it's beginning to look like it won't." I couldn't believe he wrecked the story for Shep.

That is what is called a lack of communication. Someone did not properly setup the tease on that.

--------------------
Jim

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28481 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:28 PM

El Duque vs. Arroyo...heh. Game 1 is ours...

Lieber vs. Lowe...heh. Game 2 is ours...

Moose vs. Pedro...gotta go with a push...they've both pitched pretty crappy this season.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled hurricane tracking...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
      #28482 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:32 PM

Phil..sorry to get off subject but I've been a Yankee fan like forever. They frustrate the you know what out of me sometimes though. Almost to the point where i stop looking at scores and standings. I mean i didn't even know there was a big series this weekend. The problem is they gotta score 10 runs a game to win.thats hard when you get in the post season. Now back to Jeanne.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #28483 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:38 PM

Glad Ivan is gone, for some of us.
Here's the breakdown from my area. 1 fatality, car vs falling tree, at 730am this morning. Minor wind and tree damage.
South of here toward the coast they have damage from Cat1 level to Cat2 level, as far as I've seen. Some sparse CAT3 damage, this is all based on Video!
Evacuees were headed home this morning as early as 7am.
They didn't appear to be in a hurry , but the 45+mph winds on the Interstate may have been slowing them down too!
Jackson County,MS hit hard. Uninhabitable areas.
New Orleans-Advising peolpe that live south of I-10 to start returning home. People that live North Of I-10, PLEASE wait til tomorrow to return home.
Evacuation Station WWL 870 AM on the radio-All the info you need and much more!

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, SC
Shep [Re: richisurfs]
      #28484 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:44 PM

I agree that he makes everything very dramatic and it has shown through during this hurricane season. Every storm was going to wreck Florida according to him. He is the weakest link to the FOX lineup and I quit watching until 8.

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: danielw]
      #28485 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:45 PM

Anyone hear from Rick? I don't personally know him, but am worried about how he made out.... There may have been a post way back, but I didn't have time to read everything I missed since I left.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28486 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:47 PM

I'm sure I mentioned this last year on here and its a little off the topic at hand but what difference in the approach Japan takes towards typhoons and the approach we take. I've riden out two over there when i was working and they don't even know what an evacuation is. The first one we were surfing 2 hours before it hit cuz the waves were good, then went out to dinner, and then went home and rode it out. The second one I worked all day, rushed to finish up because they kept telling me in broken english "typhoon soon coming", drove home at 6pm with the guy I work for as the wind was practically blowing us off the road. We went to his house, shut the panels, showered up, and went out for dinner right in the middle of this thing hitting us head on. Could you imagine that approach in the US? These storms weren't that strong though...probably only Category ones.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
the rick [Re: Terra]
      #28487 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:47 PM

>>> Anyone hear from Rick?

He has not posted since Tuesday...he bolted the boat though, to head for higher ground, so he's probably OK. His boat may be toast, unfortunately...sure hope not!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Spazz
Unregistered

Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: richisurfs]
      #28488 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:51 PM

Nah you got to know that Japan is made of a few large sized rocks out in the water............nowhere to go really unless Red China takes 'em all in. I say they got a bad deal all around with typhoons and quakes. I can see you in a karaoke bar while the wind howls outside over there. That ends though once you get a wife and some kids. One than takes less risk right?

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: Spazz]
      #28489 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:56 PM

I have a wife and kid. In fact, she was with me over there for the first one because our boy wasn't born yet. The second one she was home with Cameron, our boy, and she had to listen to me tell her all about it when I got home. By the way, we were in a restaurant that is their equivilent of a Denny's. I've been through minor earthquakes, temors ...whatever also over there. Seriously, thats no fun at all.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #28490 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:58 PM

Actually I got a good buddy who lives in Japan...they refer to it as "monsoon season"...usually these cyclones aren't too bad (relative term I guess) by they time they get there...he once regaled me with a story how he and a bud (a mate, as he calls them) rode their bikes home 2 miles from Ryungi (I beleive - a "dodgy sort of place" maybe richisurfs can give a better reference) to their apato's (apartments) during what I later discovered was a weak CAT I...they didn't know it...of course they were both 16 sheets to the wind...but still, I guess in Japan they take these things in stride...plus, as Spazz says, where are they gonna go?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Spazz
Unregistered

#28491 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:58 PM

Man i hope you don't think I was dissin ya.......for sure one has to go where the gig is to pay them bills and all. The waves generated by Japan's interesting WX patterns had to be killer!

Spazz
Unregistered

#28492 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:01 AM

Yah prolly a culture thang over there.........but they take it in such stride and be chillin the whole time while I would be trippin hard while all my stuff got jacked!

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
      #28493 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:02 AM

Remember the guys from last night that watched their Izuzu fill up with water?

They are down by the Gulf looking for it now......
I'm not saying anything!

and.....
to the person looking for info on Navarre go to www.sunsentinel.com and look for the Ivan pictures link. picture #39 references it. Here is the quote:

Heavy surf draws a crowd
Residents watch as heavy surf generated from Hurricane Ivan pounds the shoreline at Navarre Beach, Fla., State Park. Residents of this barrier island located on Florida's Panhandle were ordered to evacuate as Hurricane Ivan prepared to make landfall early Thursday.

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28494 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:05 AM

Phil... you might have been refering to the Roppongi(sp) district. To be honest, the Japanese tradition of drinking a few beers with your dinner does help you take it more in stride. The funny thing is though., once these storms go thru, they seem to go thru quick, and its absolutely beautiful the next day. In fact, after the last one i still caught my flight out of Narita the next day. In Florida there seems to be all this left over residue after one goes thru. And you are right... they are generally weaker once they hit up there with the exception of Okinawa.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: FrankP Update [Re: Kent]
      #28495 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:06 AM

I located FrankP's home and work numbers. No answer.
I'll try his work number again in the morning. Maybe someone there can update me. No word on Javelin, but he's close enough to FrankP to have no power.
I am concerned about the others, Rick and everyone, I just don't have as many connections in that area to check on things.

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 17 2004 12:13 AM)

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28496 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:07 AM

Spazz..I didn't think you were dissing me at all. To be honest, i love talking about my experiences over there.

Spazz
Unregistered

#28497 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:08 AM

Ah not so sure that is just a Japanese tradition. Me and the guys I room with had our share of tossing beer down when Charley blew over Orlando..............the Asian people don't have the same attachment to possessions that we do.......I think it is a Shinto/Buddhist view or they got great insurance and no killer deductibles!

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Jeanne [Re: richisurfs]
      #28498 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:09 AM

the center appeared to have moved north earlier and over water, but is again moving inland and towards the west

Jeanne IR loop

Jeanne radar

it has definately moved west over the last hour

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58378

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center