F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: recmod]
      #29582 - Wed Sep 22 2004 02:52 AM

Recmond you are lucky.. Still waiting on Insurance Company. Even had to hire a good public adjuster.. I have gotten most quotes, except still waiting for a General Contractor to quote, but have roof, drywall, insulation, soffit, wood floors, painters, etc.. Just need the money now.. Great news on the creditors, mine havent been like that.. But I am ok with my finances at this time.. Got a 50 Check from FEMA

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Jeanne News Worsens Yet Again [Re: recmod]
      #29583 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:12 AM

Well, I just did a little study of my own regarding years with tropical systems individually responsible for >100 deaths. I used the Weather Underground archives as my resource. I only went back as far as 1933, and here is what I found:

Only ONE year had more tropical systems responsible for 100 deaths each than 2004. That was 1944, which had four tropical systems each kill more than 100 (216, 390, 216 and 318 respectively).
One other year had 3 different systems, each of which killed more than 100. That was 1955 (Diane-200, Hilda-304 & Janet-681).

I noticed that the Weather Underground archive included non-named tropical and subtropical systems in their data base. Therefore, I feel it is valid to include the May storm this year that struck Haiti.
So far, we have had 3 systems each responsible for >100 deaths: the Unnamed May system (3,000), Hurricane Ivan (118 at last count) & Hurricane Jeanne(possibly as many as 1,700).
Needless to say, 2004 is shaping up as one of the truly bad hurricane years. While many individual storms in the past have been responsible for high fatality counts, there have only been 2 other years with as many storms responsible for >100 fatalities. With another 2 months in the 2004 hurricane season, 1944's record might also be broken.

--Lou

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Jeanne News Worsens Yet Again [Re: recmod]
      #29584 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:35 AM

>>And for the record, what storm do you all (this year) believe was the worse?

I think Ivan clearly was the worst of the worst. Arguments can be made for Charley and Frances, but the widespread devastation from Alabama to Pennsylvania was just remarkable. I haven't seen any damage estimates, but I would assume they will be 80% of Andrew (if not more) and as a whole, 2004 will go down in history as the worst year $$$-wise EVER.

If you look at Ivan's damage - and that's flooding in extreme SE LA, some damage in Southern Mississippi and SW Alabama, extreme damage in SE AL and W FL (including tornadoes to Tally and beyond, continued damage all up the I-65 corridor, and massive flooding all the way up through PA and over to Maryland and Virginia. Also, Greneda and some of the Islands took a bigtime blow from Ivan. If his spawn creates any additional damage (flooding, tropical downpours or whatever), then the toll continues to rise.

It's hard to say what the extreme case of Ivanspawn part deux will do. I could see a small tropical storm out of it with some banding features and maybe 40k winds accompanying flooding, but if he takes the right path, he could grow considerably more vicious (high end TS) and damage marine interests and coastal areas where/if he comes ashore. Having said that, it's all about "IF" and not when. We saw a beautiful, breezy afternoon. After the fringe clouds overspread us, the sun came out and blue skies were the rule. Let's see what the rest of the week brings...

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
Re: Jeanne 5 Day [Re: Unregistered User]
      #29586 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:10 AM

For my fellow Central Floridians here is some more information on help for homeowners. One of the news items is the Governor relaxed licensing for roofing contractors.
Disaster Contractors Online Link From Fema

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Jeanne News Worsens Yet Again [Re: Steve]
      #29587 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:15 AM

As far as widespread power outages Frances wins the prize. She turned off power to 2.5 million homes according to FPL...and that's not including the independant electric companies like Vero Beach Power etc.

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Jeanne 5 Day [Re: LI Phil]
      #29588 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:41 AM Attachment (269 downloads)

"I need to come up with some kind of patented Rabbit Voodoo Hex..."

Thats ok LI Phil ...got you covered.
We went to the beach and my kids "hexed" Jeanne for you. They performed a secret native "go away rain" dance as well.....
see attached pic of Jeanne effects on Ft. Laud Beach today

mom2als

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Fl
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #29589 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:48 AM

Lake Toho-
I responded to a post of yours before but I'm not sure if you saw it before a new thread started. You need to resubmit your stuff to fema. I know people who got a $1200 check for generator and chain saw. These people were only without power for a few days after Charley,had no damage whatsoever and had no trees on their property to even need a chain saw for. I cant believe people like them get free stuff yet people like you go without power for much longer and get nothing. Even sadder is the people who need generators the most,ie elderly or sickly,cant afford the upfront cost thus go without, while people who can easily afford them get reimbursed.
On another note, do you know any roofers in our area? The ones that did my tar paper havent returned any of my calls for a new roof estimate.

Matt033
Unregistered

What is your thinking on the wave behind Lisa? [Re: mom2als]
      #29590 - Wed Sep 22 2004 05:12 AM

I think its a tropical depression. But what is your thinking

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
The E. Atlantic [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #29591 - Wed Sep 22 2004 05:58 AM

On a lighter note...

Anyone get the impression that Lisa, small as it is, is one of those little white dots from Pac-Man and the developing disturbance behind it is Pac-Man himself? That's the first thing that popped to mind when looking at satellite this evening.

Nice to be able to have free days and nights once again, what with a bunch of (mostly) fish spinners out at sea.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: The E. Atlantic [Re: Clark]
      #29592 - Wed Sep 22 2004 06:14 AM

Hey, you're right it does look a little like Pac-Man. I hadn't thought about it that way before.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: The E. Atlantic [Re: James88]
      #29593 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:48 AM

I still feel that Jeanne is going to miss Florida but I am getting antsy. I don't want to see the TIVO pattern verify!

--------------------
Jim

Mr. UnHappy
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Kdubs]
      #29594 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:54 AM

Glad the folks in Orange county dis such a good job for you. Here in rural Volusia it was not the same. No police officer or fireman violated their STRICT job description.

I didn't complain about FEMA, they were the only ones who helped. The closest city to here is Sanford AND THEY WERE REQUIRING PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN THAT CITY TO OBTAIN WATER OR ICE.

I hope they haven't charged us any fees for debris pick up, because nothing has been picked up.

Did you viisit the projected horrible flooding in Sanford? I think not, there wasn't any. Made good scary news stories though. The point is we are higher than them.

There were no police officers with the gas trucks here. Where was FEMA handing out tarps?

As I said the power companies were great after Charlie, harder to understand after Frances.

I was VERY lucky during both storms and was one of the only houses here without serious damage.

My point was that the public officials did not help, but actually hurt HERE.

Mr. U.

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: The E. Atlantic [Re: Rasvar]
      #29595 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:57 AM

She is not moving west!......yet. A bit of a wedge currently exists with the trough that is between Jeanne and the Bahamas, but as the ridge to the north builds over Jeanne she will begin her SW/W movement. What's problemmatic is that she is moving farther south during this period, and could be below 25N before the turn. Second problem is this is a deep layered ridge that will allow her to come westward more than most models are seeing. Usually I don't favor westward moves in these circumstances at this position, but the strength and width of the ridge argue for a move that can bring it dangerously close to East Central Florida (ala NOGAPS 0Z run). Interesting again will be the 12Z run; but to tell you the truth, I'm getting tired of all this, and wish she would just get on with her business so we could can on with ours!! Cheers!!

anon
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne 5 Day [Re: leetdan]
      #29596 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:05 PM

I only wish it were that easy. I have 2 neighbors that signed up for operation blue roof over a month ago. Both have not seen anyone from the corps since they came by and had them sign the papers to do the work. They have both had water damage now with Frances and Ivan since Charley hit us here in port charlotte. I have tried to cover one of the roofs twice now myself. (he's 86 yr old handicapped man) But if I take anymore time away from work I'll need to find a new job. ( boss doesn't think things are really that bad down here). The army corp of engineers came in here saying they were going to be doing 500 roofs a day. But no one including the media can see anything like that happening at the rate they are moving, most people can not even fined out the actual number they are doing each day. As of now they both still need their roofs covered, they have both contacted contractors, but they are on waiting list behind several hundred others at this time. So, it's not as easy as just calling a toll free number.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
AM Ivan remnants..... [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #29597 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:17 PM

are looking at lot better on this mornings IR loops as opposed to the previous couple of days... still fighting the shear monster but convection continues to develop to the east of the center.... shear lets up any at all and we have a very good change of a TS with this system... sooner rather than later

storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Mr. UnHappy]
      #29598 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:22 PM

Quote:

Glad the folks in Orange county dis such a good job for you. Here in rural Volusia it was not the same. No police officer or fireman violated their STRICT job description.

I didn't complain about FEMA, they were the only ones who helped. The closest city to here is Sanford AND THEY WERE REQUIRING PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN THAT CITY TO OBTAIN WATER OR ICE.

I hope they haven't charged us any fees for debris pick up, because nothing has been picked up.

Did you viisit the projected horrible flooding in Sanford? I think not, there wasn't any. Made good scary news stories though. The point is we are higher than them.

There were no police officers with the gas trucks here. Where was FEMA handing out tarps?

As I said the power companies were great after Charlie, harder to understand after Frances.

I was VERY lucky during both storms and was one of the only houses here without serious damage.

My point was that the public officials did not help, but actually hurt HERE.

Mr. U.

I probally live close to you and I have to agree with what you said. All the other county mayors made there statements on the tv after Charlie, were was ours???? hmmmmmm

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
model runs on Ivan remnants [Re: Frank P]
      #29599 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:22 PM

SHIPs has it at 44k max

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=WBCCHGHUR

looks like a rain maker for SE TX/ SW LA worse case....

Station 42040 showing 27k winds and 35k gusts last report....

Edited by Frank P (Wed Sep 22 2004 12:28 PM)

Mr. UnHappy
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: mom2als]
      #29600 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:29 PM

mom2als - couldn't agree more. Those who could afford generators had them reimbursed. Those who couldn't suffered. What is needded is a CLEAR and PUBLIC policy on reimbursement so that those with at least some resources know they will be reimbursed. Perhaps they can share with their neighbors as we did.

Sorry to hear the Corp of engineers aren't getting the job done. Will pass along the number to my neighbors anyway. First I heard of it. Thanks.

The link someone posted here to approved contractors doesn't work. Could you please repost?

Mr. U.

MO Stormspotter
Unregistered

Re: AM Ivan remnants..... [Re: Frank P]
      #29601 - Wed Sep 22 2004 12:49 PM

Seems like Ivan's leftovers are really building up in the Gulf over the last three hours.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: AM Ivan remnants..... [Re: MO Stormspotter]
      #29602 - Wed Sep 22 2004 01:12 PM

Indeed:

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/satellite/sat...amp;overlay=off

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34416

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center