F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
lilyv
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Utah
hurricane ivan photos [Re: mbfly]
      #33186 - Tue Sep 28 2004 06:54 PM

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/
Click on the front photo, titled Ivan Photos. The slideshow tells the story. Just unbelievable devastation.
As I watched, I of course remembered that other areas of Florida experienced similar destruction with Charley and Jeanne.
Florida has experienced natural disasters of almost unimaginable proportions.

Edited by lilyv (Tue Sep 28 2004 06:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
local storm reports [Re: Chesapeake Phil]
      #33187 - Tue Sep 28 2004 06:58 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/PHI/LSRPHI

I am not far from the Cherry Hill area, but the weather was night and day.

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Lurker Here [Re: Chesapeake Phil]
      #33188 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

I think the low pressure is tampering with my brain. I actually feel a little buzzed, like you'd feel after a couple of beers. If my head is this sensitive to Jeanne now, I'd hate to imagine what it would have been like at full strength.

It's called a migraine headache!

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Thomas says..... [Re: Shalafi]
      #33189 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

What am I missing? What's developing?

I'm thinking about getting a weather station for my house. Nothing fancy (or expensive) but I'd like the basics, temp, humidity, pressure etc... and I of course want accuracy too
What brands to y'all recommend? I'm thinking under $200 I've seen a lot of LaCrosse brand is that a good one?
Thanx for the advice!

Bryan - I would also be interested in a recommendation. All we have is a temperature guage right now.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Thomas says..... [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #33190 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

No one's talking about it, but Thomas is as of noon today.

Looking at the latest visible satellite imagery we have a disturbed area of weather in the SW Caribbean Sea east of Nicaragua and Panama.

In any event a couple of days or so ago I began mentioning the probability of a Western Caribbean/Gulf Of Mexico tropical cyclone threat. October-November is basically our local tropical cyclone season. Basically we get splitting and SW backing into the GOM of mid level cold core longwave troughs and associated surface cold fronts and subtropical jet stream mid level shortwave troughs. These temperate mid latitude non tropical weather systems sit out over the still very warm North America ocean waters and transform and grow into warm core tropical systems.

Bottom line we need to watch this disturbance because it will "possibly" grow into a future Tropical Cyclone Matthew and threaten all of the Gulf Coast, but particularly the mid and eastern Gulf Coast from New Orleans to Key West. To jog our memories, remember CAT 5 Opal in 1995? She was a local home grown tropical cyclone.

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL

Collier County Emergency Management sent this message out today:
Lisa's behaving herself, as you see from the models. I do want you to be aware that we are now in that part of the Hurricane Season that tropical cyclones now "magically appear" in the Gulf. The problem with the Gulf is that the storm WILL hit somewhere. So, be aware. No longer will you have days and days to consider your options. Keep your plans current, understanding that you'll have a compressed timeframe for making decisions and acting on them.

Not exactly what we want to hear.....

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Thomas says..... [Re: KC]
      #33191 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:39 PM

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.80stp/si.kdix.shtml
This is an amazing dop. est. precip shot. There is a frontal boundary in the vicinity of the heaviest amounts. Rain was the last thing anyone in those areas wanted to see, and the reported tornadoes didn't help.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Thomas says..... [Re: KC]
      #33192 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:46 PM

I got a recommendation via PM:
Quote:

I recommend that you avoid the lower-end La Crosse and Oregon Scientific weather stations. You will get much better reliability and accuracy by investing in a Davis Instruments weather station. You can buy a Davis Weather Wizard III for $175.00 at http://www.ambientweather.com . The WWIII gives temperature, wind chill, wind direction, and wind speed, with an optional add-on rain guage. The station with rain guage is available for $225. I have had a Weather Wizard III that has lasted me 9 years without trouble. I also have one of the low-end stations, and it has given me trouble to no end. Another option is the Davis Weather Monitor II, which has some more features than the Weather Wizard III. For $355.00, you get the same functions as the WWIII, but with barometric pressure and humidity.

Just thought I'd give you some recommendations based on the experience I have had with weather stations.

Thanx for the info! I'll definately look into it.

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: local storm reports [Re: MrSpock]
      #33193 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:45 PM

Is it just me or is Jeanne getting more organized. How long is this rain band going to last.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

SteveieB
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Oviedo, Florida
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #33194 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:02 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/jeanne/maps/3WAY.png

Here is the Melbourne weather office plot of the 3 storms.

recmod
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Comment on Joe Bastardi [Re: SteveieB]
      #33195 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:34 PM Attachment (309 downloads)

I know many people have their doubts about Joe Bastardi and his forecasting of tropical systems, but...you have to admit that he nailed the forecast on Jeanne. Look at the attached Accuweather forecast map they put out on September 15. That's an amazingly accurate forecast placed TEN days out! Joe was off by 4 days on the timing because of Jeanne's little loop-de-loop.
I remember when this forecast came out on Accuweather and it strongly contradicted the NHC forecast of heading North and out to sea. A lot of people thought Joe had lost his marbles. Well, well....he who laughs last....

--Lou

recmod
Weather Guru

Re: Comment on Joe Bastardi [Re: recmod]
      #33196 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:35 PM Attachment (312 downloads)

hmmm.,..I don't see my attachemnt of Joe's forecast map...let's try again.....

--Lou

Shalafi
Weather Guru

#33197 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:40 PM

Link looks broken to me...

--------------------
Bryan
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

recmod
Weather Guru

#33198 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:37 PM Attachment (303 downloads)

One more try...I guess I have the file format worng...????

Shalafi
Weather Guru

#33199 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:42 PM

Same problem

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Shalafi
Weather Guru

#33200 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:44 PM

If you look at the list of files there is no file that even has that file number in it.
File list

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

recmod
Weather Guru

Re: Comment on Joe Bastardi [Re: Shalafi]
      #33201 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:42 PM

This is weird...I have never had a problem with file attachments
How about this:...click on this link: Accuweather Forecast for Jeanne

Shalafi
Weather Guru

#33202 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:47 PM Attachment (277 downloads)

That worked...

I included the attachment here...it works for me how about for you?

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Edited by Shalafi (Tue Sep 28 2004 08:48 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #33203 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:57 PM

JB is a good forecaster because he always (well not always) sticks to his orginal forecast. If your going to make a forecast, make one not 40.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #33204 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:02 PM

Holy 5h!+! It raining harder now than it has at any time today...we've already gotten like 4-5" and driving back from an (indoor) tennis match, some of the roads have close to 6" of standing water on them in the low and poor drainage areas. Good thing I have a high profile (although 1 wheel drive) vehicle (Kia sportage). Just heard a bunch of thunder and the flash flood warning which was scheduled to expire at 7:45 has been extended through 11:00.

I cannot imagine what you all went through if this is what I'm getting, 3 days later...

Maybe Bastardi's earlier call for NHC to reclassify the system isn't off the mark...this rivals any nor'easter I ever had the displeasure to go through! If you check out this radar loop, you can see how her center has left the coast and is forming what would appear to be an "eye". It's not of course, but I wonder if she'll really bomb out now that she's out to sea...

Jeanne is still kicking ass...definitely a retired storm after this year. Charley, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne...that's quite enough for me.

EDIT: I stand corrected, TWC just showed that she has not quite exited the coast, but close...just amazing how much of a punch she has...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Edited by LI Phil (Tue Sep 28 2004 09:08 PM)

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
You think Jeanne was done [Re: Shalafi]
      #33205 - Tue Sep 28 2004 08:59 PM

IT took a copule of days for Janne to get fired up and do what Ivan and Frances did down south. Tornados and flooding all around the Philadelphia area:

http://www.nbc10.com/index.html

Flooding Closes Schuylkill Expressway

BREAKING NEWS: Major flooding has closed the Schuylkill Expressway in both directions from Conshohocken to Belmont Avenue as police pull cars from the highway. Flooding also has closed the Kelly Drive and the Lincoln Drive in East Falls.

Jeanne's Remnants Trigger Tornadoes, Flooding In Region

The remnants of Hurricane Jeanne triggered two tornadoes in Cherry Hill Tuesday, along with flooded roads and traffic accidents. Left: a tornado hits at the New Castle County Airport

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center