F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: hurric and spock [Re: LoisCane]
      #33249 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:05 AM

My recollection of the tracks is that the NHC has done well this year with storms before landfall, but has been quite a bit off after that. For example, the last projections on Jeanne were for her to go over Norfolk, but she actually went considerably west of there. Accuweather was a lot closer to the actual track.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
A little bragging here [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #33250 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:11 AM

For those of you that don't know, I have my own personal backyard weather station. It is a Davis Instruments weather station. It has been great to have this station through both Frances and now Jeanne. I was a meteorology major and I am also a NWS storm spotter and local weather watcher for many local TV stations and newspapers. The weather stats. from my station have been used on local TV, by local newspapers, by Hurricane City, by Wunderground, by Weathermatrix, by the TWC, by the NWS, and yes even by the NHC. If you saw an 87 mph peak gust in Boynton Beach from Jeanne, that was from me. I just wanted to brag a little. As a matter of fact, I have so far received 9 thank you emails from the Palm Beach Post, Sun-Sentinel, Hurricane City, Weathermatrix, NBC 5 WPB, ABC 25 WPB, Jim Lushine from Miami NWS, and yes 2 even from the NHC. They were from Todd Spindler and Ed Rappaport himself. You know us weather fanatics get more excited with an email from the NHC than from the President. I just had to brag!!!!! Thanks for listening.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Cathy]
      #33251 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:11 AM

Quote:

BARTOW: I just got home from Special Needs Shelter duty, been othere since 4pm yesterday. Went in between bands on the back side of the storm. Lots of trees have thrown themselves out of the ground - wires down, no electricity in most of the town, dawn to dusk curfew. I hear chainsaws in the distance and hear big trucks moving. Signs of recovery. But no ice or comfort stations yet.

Darn - my freezer is thawed . . .AGAIN!

Kathy - I am in Bartow too. I actually got held up in Chicago for two extra days since flights were cancelled on Sunday. What a mess I came home to. Still without power and I had heard that the City Manager guaranteed power to all city limits by no later than Tuesday, well, it is now Wed and I still don't have power - so what is the deal??

I hope everyone made it through Jeanne okay. I hated being out of town during the storm as my mom said it was just awesome and nothing she has ever seen before. Naturally, my video camera was with me instead of capturing her fury.

Katie

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: A little bragging here [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #33252 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:16 AM

That is cool. It is also helpful for us lurkers to know more about those we are lurking on (?). Your input has been very helpful and I send my congrats and thanks.

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: A little bragging here [Re: MadDog]
      #33253 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:21 AM

Part of my area, DeBary (near Deltona) is still flooded and with no place for the water to be pumped to, it is depressing. The road I live on is flooded, so as I drove home yesterday I looked down to see what a couple were doing on the side of our road with nets -- they were catching fish (small pond fish). The strangest thing.

We received power last night.

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Thanks-but they Just changed my title! [Re: Bloodstar]
      #33255 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This has been interesting, but I get the feeling that if you are not one of the "in" people, people are just not interested in you. Thought I might get at least a welcome or something, but, no dice. I guess you guys down there have more important stuff to do. See you later

nah, not more important stuff to do, just trying to relax and catch our breath after a rather hectic 2 months. Come on back, while a few people know each other on here, I'm personally not coming in expecting to make friends with anyone on here. I'm here to read on hurricanes, learn about the storms, and otherwise put my occasional 1.5 cents in the mix. This group is a fairly friendly lot actually. And I know I try to read every post on here, even when it's 500 of them. (they start to blur together if you're not careful....)

Chin up and hang around, we're just exhausted, not mean
Mark

Good, and I believe a correct answer. I just got power back on yesterday, had to 'unevacuate', teach a class that evening and find my belt so I didn't have to use an extension cord to hold up my pants. This board was getting hundreds of posts per hour during peak, then many of us lost power, had to evacuate or lost ability to communicate because of lines down. It has only been a couple of days since we were in some cases, fighting for our lives. Ruffled feathers can be expected I guess, but a thicker skin might be an asset right about now. I have been trying to catch up with many hundreds of posts I wasn't able to read 'real-time', taking hours. I suspect many others are in the same boat. I think your answer was correct....we aren't mean, we've just had the crap beaten out of us, collectively and as individuals.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central, Florida
Re: Thanks-but they Just changed my title! [Re: Ricreig]
      #33257 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:38 AM

Progress energy says they should have us all back up to power by the end of next week. That was announced on channel 13 local news. But im not so sure about west palm they got hammered.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

#33259 - Wed Sep 29 2004 09:46 AM

You must be my Fla. twin.
I am a climate type A observer, and I send in daily data to the NWS. I have been a Skywarn Spotter since the 1980's, and have found my reports on TV as well. I also was in school for meteorology, but that darn physics.....Usually, I just give reports to the NWS though. I have a Davis Vantage Pro Plus, linked up to the Weather Underground (actually, I did that when I saw yours on it).
One criticism of the Davis gauge is, that it under-reports precip. For example, yesterday, I received 2.47", and it came up with 2.18". They are side by side. It has never over-reported compared to the NWS gauge, but even so, it is a great instrument.
It must have been thrilling to get those NHC emails.

Ricreig
User

Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: danielw]
      #33260 - Wed Sep 29 2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Richard, glad to see you are up and teaching again. At least it wasn't the other litter box.

Danny,

Congrats on your 'promotion'

I'm glad to be teaching again myself. From Mid August till last night, my students have 'lost' over 8 days of class. Our classes are fairly 'concentrated' in terms of information and we often go through an entire 600 page text in just 6 weeks before we move on to another subject. Many of our students graduating from high-school are used to that much material in an entire school year. Wen we came back from each unscheduled 'vacation', we had to waste the best part of another day reviewing what was being taught the previous session, often almost a week prior. The kids are human too (even though teachers often forget that) and they weren't unaware that storms were coming and often were afraid (away from home often for the first time in their lives) and certainly were distracted from their studies even before the storm arrived. Half of the review day was spent trying to remember what we were doing that previous week in the first place and allowing everyone to tell their 'war' stories. So, for the last 6 weeks, I think it conservative that we missed 1 out of every 3 days of useful class time. We can't ever make up the missed lab time. Lab is where many students actually 'learn' the theory.

So, yes, belts lost in cat litter not withstanding, *teaching* was good to be my main concern once again. Seems that my 'teaching' was interrupted when we first 'met' after Camille. Is there a pattern here?

Anyway, congrats!

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: Ricreig]
      #33262 - Wed Sep 29 2004 10:47 AM

Here in DeLand Florida I did remarkably well. As a teacher we have lost 14 days total to these storms. I feel for polk county and for the schools near port charlotte. sounds like they wont even be open before christmas. I wonder if they are paying their teachers even though they are not there? I guess they have too. It felt weird not teaching for a week at a time and getting paid. I didnt even lose power with Jeanne and we only lost one day of school. So to all my fellow educators i feel your pain and wish you the best.

-Troy

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Katie]
      #33264 - Wed Sep 29 2004 10:52 AM

I would love to have been able to be out of town for a storm like that.........instead I got to hear all the sounds and worry whether or not a tornado would touch down and take us all to OZ.

cmdebbie

Loc: Oviedo, FL
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: Bioman]
      #33265 - Wed Sep 29 2004 10:56 AM

Although I am not a fellow educater, as a mother of 3 children whom have missed a whole lot of school this year, I too can feel your pain! I feel so bad for both the educators and the children. These storms have caused tremendous impact on so many different aspects of life; it is just unimaginable!

--------------------
Debbie
The Weather Freak

anonymous
Unregistered

GOM disturbance? [Re: cmdebbie]
      #33266 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:14 AM

The bay of campeche looks interesting this morning.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Baby Pics... [Re: anonymous]
      #33267 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:20 AM

OK...can't resist...gotta share....sorry about being OT...

Jenna Grace Kelley

Donations to the college fund are now open....(LOL...Just Kidding!!)

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Redbird1]
      #33268 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:32 AM

Red - I was happy to be out of town because of my daughter - it is almost impossible to keep a one year old away from windows because she is very curious. Keeping her busy in a bathroom - isn't much fun - so for the fact that I had A/C and activities for her up there - I was happy, but for the fact that I have video coverage of the last three and pictures, I kinda missed the boat on this one. I am however greatful that my friends and family were safe and that it sounds like we sure were lucky in that our death toll was NOTHING like Haiti. My heart breaks for those families.

I keep a scrapbook for Madison and I just ordered a smaller one just for hurricane pictures and newspapers clippings. What are the chances of this ever happening again in her lifetime?? It will be something to pass down.

Red, I am also glad that my email didn't scare you. I know exactly where you are located, very familiar with your location.

My dad's condo in Jensen Beach (the Atlantis) doesn't look too good. I saw a picture in the Miami Herald and sand was pretty high in the parking lot. Looks like I will have to make another trip down there to help him clean up. He was lucky with Frances being on the sixth floor but it sounds like he may have some water damage from this one. Oh well, thank God for insurance.

Any one have any good links to pictures in the Jensen Beach area?? I have had a hard time locating any pictures of that area.

Weird to say this but I don't know any of you and I was totally missing this website all weekend. - WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? Chicago doesn't do very good coverage of hurricanes.

Katie

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Baby Pics...& Bragging Rights [Re: wxman007]
      #33269 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:36 AM

Jason, she's beautiful...she must have her mother's looks

I'm not saying JB reads these boards, but I swear some of you guys post things that are damn near verbatim what he comes out with the next morning...scottsvb in particular, but he's not the only one...

In fact, I'm sure the local tv mets down there are lurkers for sure...

Y'all deserve a big pat on the back for being such awesome teachers AND prognosticators...

Good to see JK back on line...would you like to tell us what YOU think will be happening in the GOM this weekend?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: Bioman]
      #33270 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:42 AM

I'm usually a lurker, but I can give an update on the schools in Charlotte County. About half of our schools are too damaged to use. The kids are sharing the schools that are available, 2 sessions a day. The "refugees" go from about 7 AM to noon, and the kids from that particular school go from about 1 PM until 6 PM.

It seems to be working out OK, even with sports rivals Port Charlotte High and Charlotte High/Punta Gorda sharing the high school building.

They are working on installation of portable classrooms on the damaged campuses, and they hope most kids will be back in their own local school by the end of the year.

I know it's awful for the kids & staff during these trying times, but things will get better eventually.

--Fay

Spike
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central, Florida
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: FelixPuntaGorda]
      #33272 - Wed Sep 29 2004 11:57 AM

Does anyone know the dammage in $$ for this hurricane season so far?? I'm guessing high hundred millions. But I could be very wrong.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: Spike]
      #33273 - Wed Sep 29 2004 12:01 PM

Um, yeah, you'd be wrong...

Try starting at $100 billion...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
      #33274 - Wed Sep 29 2004 12:05 PM

Wow, that's great, Richie! Congratulations!

I have a question that maybe you or someone here can answer. I have seen the official track maps of Charley & they seem to disagree with what I saw during the storm.

The track takes the center over the Cape Haze area, but they didn't have much damage at all. Before our power went off I saw on TV the center of circulation going over Bokeelia on Pine Island -- at least a mile east of where the track is shown.

I saw a street-level dopplar shot of my neighborhood in Punta Gorda Isles in the eye, but with Charley's tiny eye, the track would seem to indicate that the eye missed us. I know it didn't because we saw the sun for a few minutes.

So my question is, and this might be really stupid, but does the actual center of the eye determine the official track? And when it's over land, how do they know where the center is?

Thank you so much for this site. I'm learning so much!

--Fay

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center