F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: LI Phil]
      #33111 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:32 AM

I sent him an email asking for the results. Will see if he replies....
Helen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ocala, FL
      #33112 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:42 AM

Quote:

>>>How'd we do in the Poll...

If anyone can find the final poll results, please post them here...THANKS

I sent them an e-mail requesting the results. Don't know if they'll respond. If they do I'll post results.

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
      #33113 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

>>>How'd we do in the Poll...

I'm still trying to find that info, but here's a link to a story where CFHC was mentioned...

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/092504/met_16736078.shtml

I too have been unable to track down the poll results...tried every conceivable search as well...last I looked it was NHC 38%, CFHC 31%, everyone else 10% or less.

If anyone can find the final poll results, please post them here...THANKS

Everyone be safe

After reading the article, I did a search thru the newspaper's online archives for results of the poll, to no avail. So I've emailed Roger Bull asking him for the results. I'll let you know if I hear from him.

It's interesting that Roger Bull completely missed out on what really addicts us to this website: the online community fostered by the excellently moderated and well organized discussion board.

cmdebbie
Unregistered

Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: mojorox]
      #33114 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:46 AM

Our hubbies must be related. Mine also said that he could not take hearing "hunkered down" one more time, and quite personally I don't really blame them. However, what I can't take one more time is the actual act of "hunkering down."

We faired well here in Oviedo (Seminole County). Never lost power. Only lost it for 15 hours during Charley, and haven't lost it since. Charley was by far the worst for us!

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #33115 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

[It's interesting that Roger Bull completely missed out on what really addicts us to this website: the online community fostered by the excellently moderated and well organized discussion board.

You have absolutely nailed it. I have lived throught these hurricanes with you guys (albeit as a lurker) and there is a genuine community feeling here. It's nice in a touchy-feely kind of way.

Kruz
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: cmdebbie]
      #33116 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:00 PM

Well....we survived here in Citrus county as well...I was near Ocala with my parents for the storm..it sure got windy.
It was just a blessing that it didn't last as long as Frances did!
My mobile was fine..The pool cage wanted to blow away as did the front screen porch but my SO stayed behind and was there to secure it.
I only have one thing to say ....PLEASE, NO MORE!!!!!

--------------------
Dunnellon, FL

Steve Hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: Kruz]
      #33117 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:14 PM

Well, came back to Palm Bay yesterday to find my power ON!! Lost all my fencing (expected that) and had roof damage. The 4X4X8 fence posts were snapped off at ground level. All and all not too bad, with just some minor water stains in 2 bedrooms. ANybody have access to the GFS and NOGAPS??? I can't get in for some reason. I heard that some models are developing a system in the wetern Caribbean and heading it towards the Yucatan channel. Any truth to this? I can't get into the models. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
For Mr. Spock [Re: Kruz]
      #33118 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:19 PM

We knew it was only a matter of time...

Reporter Blown Away By Jeanne

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: mojorox]
      #33119 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:19 PM

Darn good idea..good job!

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #33120 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:27 PM

I searched too with the same results..I hope one of us gets an answer..

He clearly was looking at each site as a source for hurricane info only. However he said that CFHC just listed info from other sites. To me that means CFHC is a more concise and concentrated source for pertinant info. But that also shows me he didn't read anything posted. If he had he would have seen people that understand the weather and climatology explaining info to all of us who do not. He would have seen some of our members forecasting better than the NHC, he would have seen members needing info not readily available on the site and other members finding that info for them.
It stinks that he missed out on what CRHC really is, a community and if you wanna REALLY get touchy-feely, a family. With more info that you get on the news (especially if you follow the VIPIRcast system...yikes) and more personal care. He missed it, that's his problem.

--------------------
Bryan
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: For Mr. Spock [Re: LI Phil]
      #33121 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:31 PM

I realize that ratings always play a part with the media and that sensationalism is one of the most popular means to obtain them but really...do we need to see someone getting blown all over the place to know it's windy?
Even a weather dolt like me knows that a hurricane = winds. I don't need to see it...I think they need to stop putting their reporters in danger and give us more pertinent info like Scott's forecasts

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Edited by Shalafi (Tue Sep 28 2004 12:42 PM)

LI Phil
User

Ed's OK! [Re: Shalafi]
      #33122 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:40 PM

I received this in my e-mail a few minutes ago:

"Bettye and I are fine. Lost about 3 dozen shingles and the wind peeled back the roof vent again but my son fixed it Sunday afternoon. Power was out 13 hours (it never went out until 0210) and telephone came back up yesterday afternoon. At 0216 I had wind out of the northeast at 50G72 and at 0414 it was east at 52G72mph. I have some trees NW through NE, so they may have blocked the true intensity, but during Hurricane Erin I had southeast at 75G104mph and this storm was not as bad as Erin. I did a damage assessment for Satellite Beach since their anemometer suffered a broken cable at 2AM. Here is a summary:
South Patrick Shores (including south PAFB): 70G90mph
Satellite Beach: probably hurricane force 75G100mph
Exceptions: Grant Avenue to Harwood Avenue: 80G105mph
Sandy Pointe to Lansing Island: 70G90mph
Melbourne Beach: 80G105mph, except for a small stretch evident along Riverside Drive: 85G110mph (could have been a mini-tornado)

North PAFB and Cocoa Beach probably had 65mph gusting to 80mph.

Damage in Satellite Beach was not as bad as Erin in 1995, however, I hate to say this, but I believe that the many new condos (which did rather well) probably lifted most of the stronger winds over the barrier island in Satellite Beach, thus reducing the extent of damage. OIA had a gust to 78mph and Melbourne recorded at gust to 105mph. Sebastian had a gust to 102mph and Vero 122mph.

I recorded tropical storm force winds from 0116 to 0700. Lowest pressure at the house was 28.98 at 0414. Storm total precipitation was 5.79 inches (0.67 on the 25th and 5.12 on the 26th). Both the lowest pressure and precip totals were very close to what was recorded at MLB. St. Elmo's Fire was observed starting at 0100 and almost continuous until 0700 - probably went longer, but at 0800 it was too light to detect - a rare event. Probably caused by the rapid ionization of the atmosphere when raindrops were split by the high wind. No thunder - just a glow, sometimes quite bright - that lasted up to three seconds and usually preceded the arrival of a high wind gust by about 15 to 20 seconds (downdraft forcing?? - I'll let some atmospheric scientist figure that one out).

Was Jeanne a hurricane in our immediate area? There are some tree damage indicators that say that she was - especially on Jon Rodes Blvd and on Harlock Road. I do not know what the highest sustained windspeed was at MLB, but with a gust to 105mph, I would suspect that the sustained was at least 75mph. I'm rather certain that Jeanne was a Cat I hurricane from Satellite Beach to Sebastian; Cat II in Vero, and Cat III at landfall in Stuart. If you know of any other recorded windspeeds, I'd be very much interested in hearing about them.
Cheers,
ED"

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Kentucky Lurker
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MadDog]
      #33123 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[It's interesting that Roger Bull completely missed out on what really addicts us to this website: the online community fostered by the excellently moderated and well organized discussion board.

You have absolutely nailed it. I have lived throught these hurricanes with you guys (albeit as a lurker) and there is a genuine community feeling here. It's nice in a touchy-feely kind of way.

I totally agree with this statement. This website is about information and has loads of it. However, though I wouldn't know a single one of you if you walked into my office, I have found myself praying specifically for some of you during these past weeks and for all of you at other times. This from my safe haven of Southern Kentucky. Messageboards can bring about a strange but neat kinship for one another. The social aspect or value of a website can't be ignored.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Ed's OK! [Re: LI Phil]
      #33124 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:53 PM

Phil, have you heard from Colleen yet?

--------------------
Kelly

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ocala, FL
Favorite Hurricane Website Poll Results [Re: Kentucky Lurker]
      #33126 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:55 PM

Link to Poll Results

http://cgi.jacksonville.com/cgi-bin/polling.cgi?action=view&poll=1693

Ocala, THANK YOU so much for getting those results! WE ROCK!!!

Edited by LI Phil (Tue Sep 28 2004 01:01 PM)

LI Phil
User

Re: Ed's OK! [Re: kelcot]
      #33128 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:00 PM

>>> Phil, have you heard from Colleen yet?

Still have not heard from her or Richie, although I did call Richie after the height of the storm. Skeeter drove through Lakeland and they are all without power, so I imagine she'll be checking in when power is restored...however, until such time as she does check in, I am praying everything is OK. In a PM I gave her all my phone #s (but that PM was sent AFTER Jeanne had passed) so maybe I'll be getting a call in addition to a response...thanks for all you guys who expressed your concern for her.

EDIT & UPDATE: I see Colleen is online and replying to a private message as I type this, so one can assume she is OK!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by LI Phil (Tue Sep 28 2004 01:06 PM)

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Favorite Hurricane Website Poll Results [Re: Ocala]
      #33130 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:07 PM

Good work! Thanx for posting this!

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
      #33132 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:20 PM

I just got her PM too!!!!!

--------------------
Kelly

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Palm Bay
St. Elmo's Fire [Re: LI Phil]
      #33133 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:27 PM

St. Elmo's Fire was observed starting at 0100 and almost continuous until 0700 - probably went longer, but at 0800 it was too light to detect - a rare event.

When I read this I was fascinated with what St. Elmo's Fire could be, other than a movie, so I went hunting. I know I am not the only newbie here learning so I thought I would share what I found. It is really very fascinating reading.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/stelmo.htm

http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/classes/2001Fall/Phyx135-2/17/whatisstelmosfire.html

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
      #33135 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:54 PM

Whats that stuff coming off Cape Verde?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/eatl-wv-loop.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center