F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #33138 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:56 PM

I just heard from my aunt who lives in Ft. Pierce. After Frances blew out her windows and destroyed the screen porch, she boarded up for Jeanne. This saved the house from further damage and possibly from roof failure. Anyone who lives in a hurricane-prone area should at the very least have 3/4" plywood shutters.

I learned one very interesting piece of information. The other side of the street in my aunt's neighborhood fared much worse. One house is destroyed...the roof failed and one of the walls caved in. This is a concrete block house! Although I am sure they did not use shutters.

While I have not seen any of the damage firsthand, this seems to suggest a common pattern in major hurricanes--that the worst damage occurs from meso-vortices or "mini-swirls" (originally theorized by Ted Fujita) in the eye wall of hurricanes. This is the only explanation for the narrow "streaks" of considerably worse damage that we see in major hurricanes.

Just thought I'd share that information! I am praying that everyone will come out of this ok.

God Bless,
Ronn

Edited by Ronn (Tue Sep 28 2004 03:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Hey, All! [Re: LI Phil]
      #33139 - Tue Sep 28 2004 02:04 PM

We are all okay. A very scary 14 hours -- let me tell you, a storm moving at 12-14mph might seem like a freight train coming at you while still at sea, but when it hits, it's like being stuck on a major highway in a traffic jam as you wait for it to come to your area!
We were extremely lucky --- lost a few shingles off the roof, our street flooded, we lost our power for only 6 hours and our cable for 3 days, but that is nothing compared to what others around us suffered.
Pool screens in our neighborhood were ruined, water leaked through people's homes, trees (especially old oaks) snapped and went either on or through people's roofs. My husband took a lot of pictures and I am going to make an album so that all of you can see what a hurricane does "inland". God was surely watching over all of us because as much damage as we had in our area, I have not heard of a lot of deaths or injuries.
Now, I have an announcement to make: I have gotten over my fear of frogs. There was a baby frog on my lanai the other night who just sat there as the rain was pouring down, and although I attempted to use my voice to move him by yelling things like "JUMP, STUPID!" "DON'T JUST SIT THERE, USE YOUR HOPPERS!" I made no headway. I think that maybe he just had one too many raindrops hit him on the head. So, I went over and picked him up, wiped him off with a towel, and he kept me company for a while. He got his VERY LOUD VOICE back and at one point looked right at me and RIBBETED a thank you. I told him to keep it down, the neighbors were sleeping. My husband came out at one point and said, "Are you aware that there is a frog next to you on the table?" I told him that I had saved his life. He just shook his head and walked back inside.
Here's one thing: I will NEVER give mouth-to-frog recuscitation; don't care if he turns into a prince, with my luck it would be Prince Charles, not Prince William.
I am just hearing (and this is weather related, although not hurricane) but a 5.9 earthquake just hit near Parkfield, CA with at least 25 aftershocks. Parkfield is in between San Fransisco and Los Angeles. It was 11 miles deep, that is a good thing. The deeper it is, the better.
Now this is something that even Mark Geragross could dream up in his wildest dreams: court has been delayed in the Scott Peterson case because this earthquake was felt in Redwood City.
They cancelled football practice last night --- don't know if the coach did or the school did --- but unless we hear different, we are supposed to go tonight. They have a guard at the highschool who is not letting ANYONE in except for the ACTUAL high school football players who practice from maybe 3:30 to 5:30? I hope we don't have it tonight; maybe we won't since we will probably not have school the rest of the week. I think it is up to the school, and not the coaches.
Okay, I've yakked enough. Talk to ya soon!
Colleen

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I am back [Re: Colleen A.]
      #33144 - Tue Sep 28 2004 02:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am back and all is well considering a second storm here. I did receive more damage than from Frances. I lost a bunch of shingles from the roof, a few screens from the pool enclosure, many branches and shrubery, my satellite dish was knocked out of whack, and a leak in the roof. I also lost power for the last 2 1/2 days. But, all in all it could have been much worse considering it looked to me that Jeanne was on a direct hit at 26.5 N right up until a few hours before landfall. School is still out for a 9th day and a curfew is in effect at night. My stats. from Jeanne were a peak gust of 87 mph, lowest pressure of 28.93" and total rainfall of 4.69". I will add more later. I have even received a few emails from the NWS and NHC thanking me for my info. during the storm. My friend Thomas has sent me some interesting emails that I will share later too. He also is watching for the possibility for Mathew in the SW Caribbean to move toward the northern or eastern gulf states from New Orleans to Key West. I thought there was nothing else out there????

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Shalafi]
      #33145 - Tue Sep 28 2004 02:55 PM

The tropics are quiet for the time being. The wave exiting the CV area could become something if it surives the shear. The water temp. by the leeward islands is very warm in fact well above normal. It might be to early to say the CV season is over, there is usually a decline now and then an secondary peak in the beginning of October. The only problem is that season was driven by MJO and since that is at it's last string we might not see development.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Keith234]
      #33147 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

The only problem is that season was driven by MJO and since that is at it's last string we might not see development.

Wow! I learn something new every day here...who knew seasons were effected by mojo..

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Shalafi]
      #33148 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:16 PM

>>> Wow! I learn something new every day here...who knew seasons were effected by mojo..

Yep, by Jim Morrison

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Cane Watcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: ATL/ via Melbourne
Re: St. Elmo's Fire [Re: DMFischer]
      #33149 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:16 PM

Thanks for answering my question. I was also wondering what St. Elmo's fire was? Although pretty dangerous, it would be pretty neat to actually see. I am glad to hear that all have made it through. Thanks to you all for your information, expertise, and patience with us who are not quite there as meterologists yet. Although I am a scientist, it is quite difficult to understand some of the terms and abbreviations without asking a stupid question... Thanks.
One last thing, a special thanks to Skeetobite for his maps, they are great. I sent them to my mom, who is not to internet savvy, and they helped her greatly..
Thanks..

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #33150 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:20 PM

I thought this was interesting from www.orlandosentinel.com:

Frances/Jeanne Comparison

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Edited by VandyBrad (Tue Sep 28 2004 03:23 PM)

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Loc: Ocala, FL
      #33152 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

It might be to early to say the CV season is over, there is usually a decline now and then an secondary peak in the beginning of October. The only problem is that season was driven by MJO and since that is at it's last string we might not see development.

I have figured out what CV is. Can you tell me what MJO is? Thanks for helping us learn.

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
      #33153 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:32 PM

Our local met from TB's ABC Action News said this last night:

"I'm only going to leave this 7 day forecast up for 20 seconds...so look quickly."

I thought that was extremely funny. Of course, I'm 3-punch drunk right now, so everything is funny.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: VandyBrad]
      #33154 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:29 PM

What a crazy season. Landfall within 5 miles of each other. Thanx for the link...I hope mother nature was taken her midol because a bit tired of her at the moment..

--------------------
Bryan
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Ocala]
      #33155 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:32 PM

MJO info

I don't understand it, I just found the link for us to learn together.

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Mr. (un)Happy
Unregistered

Re: Ed's OK! [Re: LI Phil]
      #33156 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:06 PM

Just got the phone back after the cable was cut the day BEFORE the storm.

Formerly Mr. UnHappy -now couldn't be happier. 3 Storms - no insurance no real damage (trees from Charlie fell onto neighbors house). Still have the debris from Charlie.

Jeanne caused 60-65 MPH winds all day until about 5 PM Sunday. Local weather was acting like the storm was over about 1 pm. Only the state forecaster mentioned that Sanford was still getting 65 MPH winds.

Live on the St. Johns - record high water but no flooding here - and doesn't look likely.

We kept power - AMAZING. Only thing I could figure was a new and better transformer because before - 3 blinks and you are out. This one blinked no less than 350 times, but hung in there - thankfully I have several UPS's. Anyone know anything about good vs. bad transformers?

Really missed this board, hated to rely on TV for info.

ALL IS WELL !!

Mr. (un)Happy

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Ocala]
      #33157 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:15 PM

The MJO is known as Madden-Juilian-ocsillation, it is simliar to that of the ENSO el nino or la nina. The MJO's are waves that form near the international datline and propogate eastward. These waves trigger very strong convectie thunderstorms, and because of this we can best identify them by looking at outgoing radiation maps (OLR). This whole cycle generally lasts from 30-60 days to 40-50 days it depends on many things. This effects hurricanes in-directly by changing wind patterns, SST's, amount of water vapor in certain areas and much much more. It appears to me from my study that are simliar to Kelvin waves which also forrm by the dateline but propogate poleward at faster speeds. It is very complicated in layman's terms. Here is a link on it!
http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/notes/chap12/mjo.html

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Ed's OK! [Re: Mr. (un)Happy]
      #33158 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:13 PM

Hey man! Glad to hear you're ok!

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: St. Elmo's Fire [Re: Cane Watcher]
      #33159 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:46 PM

I have witnessed many types of lighting, but not St. Elmo's. I would also like to find out information on it too!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Grasshopper

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
      #33160 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:46 PM

How would this apply to us currently? Are we at the end of a cycle?

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: Ed's OK! [Re: Mr. (un)Happy]
      #33161 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:51 PM

Hey everyone. Checking in from Highlands County. Got power back on last night-one of the lucky ones, most of the county doesn't. There is no rhyme or reason to the outages or the damage for that matter. Some places are with minimal damage and some places look like a bomb went off. My house is standing, still with damage from Charley, Frances and now Jeanne. I have several coworkers who are now homeless-mobile homes or concrete block, Jeanne didn't discriminate. Areas are just leveled. We all had a wild ride for well over 12 hours, about 6 of which were the most amazing power I've ever witnessed. As far as I can tell everyone survived. Progress Energy who has done an awesome job with all three storms has asked for patience as workers and supplies are in short supply with the whole state in a mess. Teams were being flown in from as far away California. We have one fully operational grocery store that never lost power, the rest are on generator and selling dry goods only. Gas is available-atleast for today, but takes a long time of waiting in line. That's about it right now. Glad you all are fine. Thank you so much for all of your education and experience-myself and family as well as friends are all better off because of what I learned here.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Grasshopper]
      #33162 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:57 PM

Very good question. The whole cycle began in early August and is now coming to an end, as it is only a 40-50 day cycle inter-annual. It triggers certain features in the atmosphere to form, like gyres, pockets of moist or dry air and certain noticeable wind patterns. Sometimes a very strong MJO can trigger an ENSO or another oscillation. Everything is linked in some way in the atmosphere, we just have to find what that link is.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Jeanne won't quit [Re: Keith234]
      #33163 - Tue Sep 28 2004 05:10 PM

This is nothing like Fla, but the poor people in Northern Del. have seen Doppler estimates of >6" of rain today, with a Doppler-indicated tornado. That is one part of the area that certainly didn't need to see anymore rain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center