Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center : Hurricanes Without the Hype since 1995

#93L 2PM Recon Finding a Strong Low, Strong Winds, but Few Clouds Flhurricane.com
Number of days since last Hurricane Landfall in US: 27 (Arthur) , in Florida: 3202 (8 y 9 m) (Wilma)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2004 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Robert
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Southeast, FL
Hurricane jeanne Wind gust
      #34106 - Mon Oct 25 2004 12:20 AM

Hey whats up first time back on the site scince jeanne. Well i live in stuart,fl martin county. I stayed on my boat through Frances and jeanne.
I have a weather station that has an external weather anemomitor wich on my mast 35 feet up.
during Frances my top wind gust were about 90-93 mph sustained at about 70 with two gust over 100mph 103 and 106 it has a memory of top wind or wind gust, i have email'd the company to see how it averages the wind speed. Anyway during jeanne i fled my boat for high ground about an hour before the eyewall hit rain water plus the surge made an 8' 6" surge 10 miles up river i my wind gauge is wired 12 volt so i left it on during the storm. I went to the boatyard next to the boat it lies 2 feet above sea level with a 5 foot slabb of concrete raising offices and equipment higher and went to sleep in a concrete poured room listneing to the sound of the wind roar away at the building wich shook periodicly,and thinking how much louder and and more constant this storm was compared to Frances. At about 11:00 the surge came in and i woke to water on my back, and it raised another foot and a half before the eye moved over then it dropped about 6". I rowed over to my boat to in the dinghy i had put in the bay next to joiner shop wich was severely flooded. I got to my boat and saw the forward hatch had blown open and the front cabin was soaked.
I then went to the wheel house to check the wind gauge wich was reading correctly 15 mph gusting to 30 time 12:20am 09/26/2004 i clicked the memory button it flashed 09/25/2004 10:47pm 188mph.
I quickly ran up the crows nest and with flash light to check the wind cup to see if it looked ok and it was fine. That being said i sealed up the door and i returned to the yard i rowed over to dry dock now wet dock to see if the boats were floating a couple were and some were not buy that time the moon was becoming obscured and the stars were gone. I went inside to make a new beading area in an upstairs office. I layed down again and went to sleep the eye returned at some point and i was awaoken buy howling winds i stood up and lost my balance as large gust of wind hit the building causing it to sway. i went down stairs in to main building and laid down on a pick nick table listing to the wind shake the metal. I open'd a side door on slightly protected side and i observed wind wrapping around the side of building causing a mini tornado wich would spin a small water spout like thing sucking the water right off the ocean that was once a parking lott. imagine a cloud raining and funnel cloud coming down,but its water and its moving up. wind gusts on the windy side woud pick water right off surface. I eventouly went back to sleep on the picnick table. the next morning i awoke the surge was still about 4 feet and all the boats survived excepet for some rub rail damage. I went to my boat and checked my gauge wich was still working and clicked the memory and it gave 09/26/04 3:23 am 160mph.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: Hurricane jeanne Wind gust [Re: Robert]
      #34107 - Mon Oct 25 2004 12:40 AM

I think i may have found what i was looking for JUst looking through the talk backs i found mike mentiond an extreme cell that moved from ft.pirce down the I 95 corridor to jupiter i live in stuart mid point right next to I95 on the river. Im trying to justify 188 and 160 thinking of sending them to NWS. More i read back the more reasonable those winds get. I found a report from NWS that said doppler was picking up winds of excess of 120Knts in parts of the eyewall and gust of 160 were forcasted prior to landfall.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6603

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center