F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Happy New Year, May 2005 be a Calm Season [Re: James88]
      #34735 - Tue Jan 04 2005 04:12 PM

Quote:

This page has quite a bit of information:

Daytona Rogue Wave

Yes....In fact, had this been a bit larger, AKA 65 million years ago, we may have witnessed a modern version of mass extinction....of US.

Happy New Year to all of my friends here on the CFHC site. May we have an 'interesting' year, not another 'terrifying' year like the last one. Tracking is fun! Evacuation and fleeing is not! Here's to tracking.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Happy New Year, May 2005 be a Calm Season [Re: Ricreig]
      #34736 - Tue Jan 04 2005 11:09 PM

If you want something to track you might want to take a gander at the South Pacific. Looks like something is forming there. Hopefully it won't have too many bad effects.

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Presistant area of sheared convection 27N 48W [Re: MikeC]
      #34737 - Wed Jan 05 2005 02:02 AM

I'm sure most poeple are still peeking from time to time... but if the shear relaxes I wonder if it'd have a chance to turn into something
though the discussion says it's cold core... (not suprising)
and I think the odds are... slim to none
(and the SST's are about 23 Centigrade)

oh well. just something to look at and go, nope ain't gonna happen

-Mark (Falcons in the playoffs... how'd that happen?)

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Another link to add to our collections [Re: Bloodstar]
      #34738 - Fri Jan 07 2005 09:16 PM

Hey Everyone

Haven't posted in a while, but hope everyones new year is off to a good start. I thought i'd drop in a post containing a new link for us all to use during the 2005 Season with reference to MJO.

MJO Analysis

Also whilst browsing I came upon a DVD called "The Hurricanes of 2004" from Hurricane Track. Link and Preview Here

If anyone knows of any other DVD's or books from Discovery, National Geographic or TLC regarding the 2004 Season, please let me know. Good job admin team on the new design.

Thats all for now, be back when I find more interesting links.

Jeffery McELroy
Unregistered

Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: Jamiewx]
      #34740 - Mon Jan 10 2005 11:06 PM

I'm hoping 2005 will be an average year or less, no landfalls if I can help it. But we'll be ready in case the trend that Dr. William Gray refers to, the trend of more landfalling systems, does not occur. Florida could do without another storm for a good long while.

To be perfectly honest, I want to get hit. As selfish as this sounds, nothing gives me more excitment than a powerfull storm to track, prepare for, and then survive. I do, however, have a problem with the death that these storms inevitably cause. My conflicting feelings on this trouble me greatly.
Does anyone deal with this as well?

hurricanemagnet
Unregistered

Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: Jeffery McELroy]
      #34741 - Tue Jan 11 2005 02:12 AM

Quote:

To be perfectly honest, I want to get hit. As selfish as this sounds, nothing gives me more excitment than a powerfull storm to track, prepare for, and then survive. I do, however, have a problem with the death that these storms inevitably cause. My conflicting feelings on this trouble me greatly.
Does anyone deal with this as well?

Uh oh. I think you just stepped in something...

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: hurricanemagnet]
      #34742 - Tue Jan 11 2005 03:32 AM

I have tossed and turned on a reply or just pulling that one off... I will let it stay for now but another may think different. Some ideas and feelings, however (my opinion), should be kept to yourself. The past events were major and not what the country ever saw coming.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #34743 - Tue Jan 11 2005 10:43 AM

Quote:

I have tossed and turned on a reply or just pulling that one off... I will let it stay for now but another may think different. Some ideas and feelings, however (my opinion), should be kept to yourself. The past events were major and not what the country ever saw coming.

Hey Coop, I couldn't have said it better. I got the twitch in my finger after the first sentence. Guess I've been hanging around you guys too long.

For the Record. A lot of people lost loved ones, homes, jobs and suffered a tremendous amount of mental and physical stress. I am sure that ALL of them could care less to ever hear another Watch or Warning of ANY TYPE. Posts like that generally don't survive more than 10 minutes. ( I'll be surprised to see it last a week! )

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: danielw]
      #34744 - Tue Jan 11 2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Coop, I couldn't have said it better. I got the twitch in my finger after the first sentence. Guess I've been hanging around you guys too long.

For the Record. A lot of people lost loved ones, homes, jobs and suffered a tremendous amount of mental and physical stress. I am sure that ALL of them could care less to ever hear another Watch or Warning of ANY TYPE. Posts like that generally don't survive more than 10 minutes. ( I'll be surprised to see it last a week! )

Another mod in agreement with Al & Danny...with all the death and destruction in 2004 (TSFH), and now the California mudslides and general southwest flooding...and the Sierra Mts. have received 14 FEET of snow...I will not hesitate to drop the hammer when it comes to people wishcasting a storm to come to them. I'm leaving it up as a warning to anyone else who wants to get a storm. Go play on other weather boards if that's your true heart's desire.

Unless you live alone on a deserted Island, you have to remember that what hits you hits others...and after this season, I seriously doubt anyone is looking for any more action.

You want to get hit, go buy a rowboat and go out into a fishspinner off the coast.

Off rant now. Ed, feel free to nuke the post and replies should you so choose.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Jeffery McELroy
Unregistered

Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: LI Phil]
      #34747 - Tue Jan 11 2005 07:05 PM

I see that I touched a nerve. Appologies. I figured that since I have seen first hand the death and destruction that these things can cause, I could speak this way with atleast a thread of legitimacy. Perhapes not. As I said, this whole issue has troubled me greatly. One one hand, my greatest passions (weather and film) are combined so greatly during such an event that it is overwhelming. On the other, I have to deal with the tragety that is the aftermath of a major hurricane. However, despite all of the terrible crap in my life, I always look back at that one moment ---THE moment. I dont know ---as I said, this has troubled me greatly. I just wanted some councle on the matter. Again, I am sorry for an discomfort I have caused.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Objectionable Posts [Re: Jeffery McELroy]
      #34748 - Tue Jan 11 2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

I see that I touched a nerve. Appologies. I figured that since I have seen first hand the death and destruction that these things can cause, I could speak this way with atleast a thread of legitimacy. Perhapes not. As I said, this whole issue has troubled me greatly. One one hand, my greatest passions (weather and film) are combined so greatly during such an event that it is overwhelming. On the other, I have to deal with the tragety that is the aftermath of a major hurricane. However, despite all of the terrible crap in my life, I always look back at that one moment ---THE moment. I dont know ---as I said, this has troubled me greatly. I just wanted some councle on the matter. Again, I am sorry for an discomfort I have caused.

No worries and welcome to the site. That kind of post is fine on some other sites, like HCW, where nothing gets edited and it's more of a chatroom than a real information source like CFHC.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Happy Birthday [Re: LI Phil]
      #34749 - Tue Jan 11 2005 09:37 PM

To Christine M. ("Webgirl") who helped Mike with the site redesign!

(A Shout out from the peanut gallery).

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Off topic discussions (not storm specific) [Re: Jeffery McELroy]
      #34752 - Wed Jan 12 2005 12:46 AM

These posts should be welcome outside the hurricane season, but should be in the "Everything and Nothing" forum. However, since it's here, my thoughts are below.

Quote:

The duality of man leads us to seek out thrills from what appears to be and often is deadly, frightening or gruesome. This is true of storms of all types, images of atrocities, man made and natural events that you just can’t help but take a peak at or feel some sort of guilty satisfaction in seeking out or looking at. We’re curious.

Your interest level is normal and the fact that you are conflicted is a sign of a healthy, balanced mind. How can these overly powerful storms that are absolutely beautiful when imaged from space be so damn destructive and ruin so many lives? Who wouldn’t want to see one first hand? I saw 3 in 6 weeks and was stunned, impressed, frightened, elated and thankful all at once. Talk about conflict.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Off topic discussions (not storm specific) [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #34753 - Wed Jan 12 2005 01:21 AM

Great view you have placed on this subject Skeet. Can't really disagree with what you have said at all. I guess I look at things as to how the "general public" would see them and then best how to protect them.... can't shake the "protect & serve" thing... just a part of me. Well I have gone off topic myself so we all are even now

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Christine HAdministrator
Webgirl

Reged:
Loc: PA
Re: Happy Birthday [Re: LI Phil]
      #34755 - Wed Jan 12 2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

To Christine M. ("Webgirl") who helped Mike with the site redesign!

(A Shout out from the peanut gallery).

Thanks

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Another link to add to our collections [Re: Jeffery McELroy]
      #34757 - Wed Jan 12 2005 10:15 AM

There is a certain...large amount of curiosity in Humans. Sometimes it's a great thing and sometimes it gets us in trouble.
Other times our occupations influence/ compound our curiosity for more information. Once we get to a higher level, we still seek more data. Like the Robot in the movie "Short Circuit". He had a appetite for more data, so do we.
I admit to 'watching' for storms in years past...Pre-Andrew. After I saw the devastation that Andrew caused in Florida and Louisiana, I lost the urge to wake up every few hours and check the updates.
Let's all hope that we don't have to learn any more hard lessons in the years and seasons to come. The mental and physical stresses of "The Season from Hell" tm LIPhil , will be around for a long time.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
NHC Track Forecasts [Re: danielw]
      #34759 - Wed Jan 12 2005 10:34 AM

Hey folks don't forget. Jan 18th is the last day to submit your ideas for the 2005 season NHC/TPC track updates.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphicsprototypes.shtml

"Comments will be accepted through January 18, 2005.
Electronic submission of comments is encouraged.
Please submit comments to: trackchart@noaa.gov
Written comments may be addressed to:

Tropical Cyclone Program Manager
NOAA National Weather Service
1325 East West Highway, Room 13126
Silver Spring, MD 20910

Comments may also be faxed to: 301-713-1520

For further information contact: Scott Kiser, 301-713-1677 extension 121 "

Edited by danielw (Wed Jan 12 2005 10:37 AM)

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: NHC Track Forecasts [Re: danielw]
      #34761 - Thu Jan 13 2005 04:23 AM

Hey Guy's what's up place looks great.Hope everyone had some nice holidays and are getting ready for the big Game to come.Indy and ?

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
thrill commentary [Re: javlin]
      #34762 - Thu Jan 13 2005 04:51 AM

jeffery... i feel the same way to a degree. just try and keep things in perspective, and not let the thrill of seeing and experiencing danger turn in to gawking at human tragedy. it's hard not to be fascinated by extremes in the world, whether man-made or natural.... it's fascinating to watch precision bombing footage, for instance.. probably not very fun to be precison bombed, though. keep in mind: rooting for a hurricane to come break some stuff isn't far removed from cheering at a snuff film.
HF 0440z13january

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Ivan up I-65 [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34763 - Thu Jan 13 2005 10:52 PM

I wanted to add went to Birmingham over Thanksgiving took 65N.The damage from Ivan could be seen a good 100 miles N on 65.The trees that where down and damage to some of the farms hard to imagine that far N.Then you think about the size of Ivan and you understand.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21556

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center