F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: modles [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39380 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:25 AM

Quote:

Er isnt this cane 200 miles across?

Oh, you mean being 100 miles from where the eye of the storm hits land... in a lateral direction.... for some reason your post implied to me that you were going to watch the storm when it was still 100 miles off the coast...

Good point... rjp... I'll stop antagonizing.... Man, I'm bad about that today!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Edited by Terra (Fri Jul 08 2005 01:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: North? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39381 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:27 AM

tracking it on Cuban radar sure looks like a solid NW to me too...

http://www.met.inf.cu/Radar/03Cienfuegos/cienfuegosa.gif

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: pcola]
      #39382 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:28 AM

What is the extrapolated line represent?

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: wxman007]
      #39383 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:28 AM

seems the models are all coming into agreement now.. things must be getting a bit more stable to predict from.

WeatherNLUAway
Unregistered

#39384 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:29 AM

XTRAP is an extrapolated line using the current overall motion of the storm. In other words, it's where it would go if it does not change direction at all from now until landfall.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #39385 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:29 AM

thats if it continued on its present motion without changing

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Bev]
      #39386 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

You missed my point entirely. My point was that you just might have to "ride it out" no matter where you evacuate to, so you should be prepared to do exactly that, whether you stay where you are or flee to a county that isn't even under an evacuation order.

I had hoped for intelligent discussion on how to protect yourself where you are, and not always relying on "head somewhere else". Because sometimes you can't head somewhere else, you find it on your heels despite trying to get away from it. I am not a brave advocate of "riding it out",. I'm simply a concerned mother trying to keep my family safe.

-Bev

Sorry, I misunderstood as well. The first thing I would recommend is to always evacuate inland. Evacuating up or down the coast is a dangerous proposition. Evacuating from one coast to the other will work, too.

If you are in the path of the hurricane, evaucation zone or not, always move to the center of the building farthest away from windows. I have recently heard that a mattress over your head is a bad idea, more people get crushed beneath them then are saved from falling debris. Instead, use a thick blanket. If things are real bad, a tub is an excellent hiding place.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: modles [Re: rjp]
      #39387 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Er isnt this cane 200 miles across?

Seeing posts from people like this makes me think things should be restricted to registered members until things calm down. lol

well Frances was about the same size as Dennis and that was 200 miles across with hurricane force winds 65 miles from centre!

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
      #39388 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Why the sudden shift to the west on the models.??? I was excited about the eastward trend for us, but now most come right towards the western panhandle.

Obviously they'll keying in on some change to the ridge on day 3. But, maybe they'll cluster together tomorrow and we can all get a better idea of where this thing is headed. I think the Gulfstream jet will be making a data gathering run tonite, which should greatly improve (hopefully) tomorrows models. It's too soon yet to write off anywhere from NO to the FL peninsula.

--------------------
RJB

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Brief 8pm Update [Re: Ron Basso]
      #39390 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:34 AM

So with the cluster of models moving back towards the west the earlier talk of Dennis possibly skirting the west coast of FL it this still a possibility?

j.c.
Unregistered

Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: AgentB]
      #39391 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:34 AM

I also see a more northerly trend. As for the models, it is my observation that we need to be watching the actual movements over a few hours to determine if these wobbles are an actual new track or just a brief drift one way or another. Once we see if it establishes a new track we then may be able to see what is influencing the track and see if it will hold. My thought is if the high pressure ridge begins to break down then it would have to turn more poleward and perhaps bring it up the east side of Florida kind of like a Floyd track of 1999 something Clark discussed in an earlier blog today. Any thoughts on my idea?

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Southern4sure]
      #39392 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:34 AM

yes it is

--------------------
cheers

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Lysis]
      #39393 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:35 AM

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO...lol

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: j.c.]
      #39394 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:36 AM

Well, that would be good for me here just north of Orlando.... it would be too good to be true.

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Ron Basso]
      #39395 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:37 AM

Was just over at Hurricane City's website and they have a tool which you can use to see which storms have passed near the area of current concern/nearest major city to the current Hurricane.

With Port Antonio, Jamaica being the city nearest to Dennis, the last time this area was brushed or hit by a storm was last year by Ivan.....Now by no means is this to say that Dennis will take the same course as Ivan but very interesting to say the least.

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: FireAng85]
      #39396 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:37 AM

that you get hit?

--------------------
cheers

Mike S

Reged:
Loc: Crestview, FL
Re: OH NO -- Cantore go somewhere else [Re: j.c.]
      #39397 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:37 AM

Did someone say "free plywood" I know there is none up here in Crestview..or gas, or generators, or pretty much anything else. Most stations closed up early this evening. Hopefully they will have more time to fill them up before 85 becomes a parking lot like it did for Opal.

PolkBB
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: j.c.]
      #39398 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:38 AM

Watching for a trend is the key in movement but I agree that the exit point on the north coast of Cuba is critical for the impact of the Florida peninsula.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #39399 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:38 AM

I was told that the 18Z did not have the data in it from the Gulfstream, so it basically isnt really useful. 00Z should have new data...

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

nowhammies
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #39400 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:38 AM

I dont mean this to question anyone's knowledge but my own. Yesterday, when all of the models were saying similar thngs everyone seemed very suspicious. Now it seems that more people are seeing that as evidence that they models are somewhat verifying each other. What changed?

Thanks again for helping all of us who don't know muc understand and stay on guard.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41045

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center