F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: jr928]
      #41517 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:12 PM

No reason why this thing wont go CAT 5.....bad news

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: HumanCookie]
      #41518 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

at 7:37 I have Dennis at ~86.38 W and ~28.65N... in the past 54 minutes Dennis has gone ~.22 degrees N and ~.06 degrees W... technically I would say he is still going NNW.... he is about 132 miles SSE of Pensacola and 170 miles SE of Mobile...

I have family who left Grand Bay and went to Mobile who did not evacuate. According to Skeetobites map at 7:17 am Dennis goes directly over their home in Wilmer (North Mobile). Is it to late to leave the area? Also which direction to go if they do leave, west towards TX? I sure dont want them to get stuck on the road. Gut says to hunker down but the house is an old old brick house. Why didnt they listen to me days ago....

Go west as far as you can

Well the only way west of Wilmar is to take 98 up past Lucedale to Hattiesburg. Going that way you could get hit with very high winds because there is an inland hurricane warning for that area.

Many gas stations are out of gas around that area.

You don't want to get stuck on that tiny highway without gas.

Plan carefully if you decide to get out to Hattiesburg (or maybe Montgomery). There also won't be any hotel rooms available.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #41519 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

wilmer area to hattiesburg to jxn is west north west with no bridge closures to fear if you leave soon

I think most of the motel rooms north of the area are full. Possibly to Memphis.
Louisiana and Texas may be a better solution for Mobile area evacuees right now. Some left the New Orleans area so there could be motels rooms available.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
      #41520 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:13 PM

With the latest update at 9am, the northerly track at 16mph, that really has me worried that this fast moving thing is really gonna hammer it's landfalling area.

CNN was saying that the hurricane force winds will probably keep up when it makes inland from 50-100 miles from the center.

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: ten hours [Re: pcola]
      #41521 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:14 PM

Quote:

Well, Dr Steve basically said that teh eyewall will be coming right over my house. He said it should still turn left before landfall but I've never seen one do that. I am 30 miles west of Ft Walton so a right hook would be fine for me right now. Oh well. We are ready. Its amazing how many people returned when this went to a cat1 and the NHC said it would not get back to 3. They are not ready. Lets keep our fingers crossed this weekens a bit before landfall.

I dunno about the west turn. Seems counter to what you might expect. If u look at the water vapor, Dennis appears to be getting influenced by some w-sw shear from the ULL south of LA. Notice the more asymmetrical cloud shield.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

--------------------
RJB

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Severe Weather [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #41522 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:19 PM

I'm seeing frequent Tornado Warnings from Florida.
Please keep your radios and TVs on a local EBS station or turn on your WeatherRadio.
3 warnings in the last hour from the Tampa NWS County warning areas.
Latest Warning from Tampa NWS An hour old, but still severe weather in the area.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL 807 AM EDT SUN JUL 10 2005 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RUSKIN HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... PINELLAS COUNTY IN FLORIDA. * UNTIL 830 AM EDT * AT 807 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A TORNADO OVER LARGO...MOVING NORTH AT 50 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL AFFECT... LARGO BY 805 AM EDT. CLEARWATER BY 810 AM EDT. DUNEDIN BY 815 AM EDT. PALM HARBOR BY 820 AM EDT. TARPON SPRINGS BY 825 AM EDT. THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM! MOVE INTO THE INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING...AWAY FROM WINDOWS. COVER YOUR HEAD AND BODY WITH PILLOWS OR BLANKETS.

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 10 2005 01:21 PM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #41523 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

CNN as saying that the hurricane force winds will probably keep up when it makes inland from 50-100 miles from the center.

CNN should listen to the NHC better.

"Hurricane force winds associated with Dennis may occur as far as 150 to 175 miles inland along the track of the hurricane."

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Severe Weather [Re: danielw]
      #41524 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:20 PM

Yeah, we (Manatee county) had one around 7:30 this morning. Nothing since though.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Flood Tide Prediction Charts [Re: AndyG]
      #41526 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:25 PM

anyone have the link of the site that has flood tide prediction charts for like 10-20 sites in the gulf, all listed on one screen? thanks!

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
inland [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41527 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:26 PM

fortunately southwest alabama is rural once you get inland.. in terms of people and property there is less to be threatened. no comfort for folks in places like atmore, brewton, and grove hill.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Flood Tide Prediction Charts [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41528 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:27 PM

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: inland [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41529 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:29 PM

NHC will shift the track slightly to the east next adv.

Per JK speaking w/ the NHC.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sun Jul 10 2005 01:38 PM)

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Family is hunkering down... [Re: danielw]
      #41530 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:31 PM

Well they have decided to hunker down and stay put. Fear of no gas, high traffic volume and time stuck on the road made their choice. Shelters in Mobile are full also. Thanks for the quick info I was able to pass along to them. Does anyone know if cell phone service will be interrupted in the affected areas?

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Family is hunkering down... [Re: Southern4sure]
      #41531 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:33 PM

Cell service depends largely on the ability for the towers to remain up.

Another concern is high volume. For 2 days before and about 36 hours after Frances, I had a difficult time getting calls to go out on my cell - everything was busy.

YMMV SPSFD (Your mileage may vary, see participating stores for details)

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Family is hunkering down... [Re: tpratch]
      #41533 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Cell service depends largely on the ability for the towers to remain up.

Another concern is high volume. For 2 days before and about 36 hours after Frances, I had a difficult time getting calls to go out on my cell - everything was busy.

YMMV SPSFD (Your mileage may vary, see participating stores for details)

Do they have text messaging capabilities? If so, that might be a good option. Still won't work if service is out - but - text messages will be sent when the system is available again (as opposed to calls that have to be re-dialed until you can get through). My prayers are with all in the path.

Karen

Great Idea!

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 10 2005 01:48 PM)

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Family is hunkering down... [Re: tpratch]
      #41534 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:42 PM

if the westward turn is going to happen it would be soon as the build up of storms on the western wall is what they keep saying may influence the westward shift again. how far east did the NHC say they may adjust and does that keep it heading north upon landfall?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kevx.shtml
shows clear nw float but water vapor makes it look n?

birdwomn

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay, FL
      #41535 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:42 PM

So you don't panic after the storm: I was able to reach my Mom in Pensacola immediately after the storm then she lost phone service for several days, cell and land. It scared me to death. Bottom line phone service will be spotty at best. Often they could call out and not get incoming calls or vice versa. Or the phone would not ring, but if they picked up, it would connect. Fun stuff. DO tell them to try text messages to let you know they are ok or plans they have.

Just keep trying periodically if you can't get them. Eventually you will get through.

I am praying for them and everyone else in the path of this monster.

Edited by birdwomn (Sun Jul 10 2005 01:45 PM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Family is hunkering down... [Re: birdwomn]
      #41536 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:56 PM

After Charley we diddn't have phone service for over a month with Nextel. However, some other companys got up to speed faster. Your ability to reach them may depend on what service they have.

--------------------
cheers

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #41537 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:58 PM

Cell phone service will be around during and to some extent after the storm. The problem lies not with the towers, although some will fail b/c they are probably not designed for 145mph winds plus gusts especially the old ones, but the antennas they really take a beating in the winds. They move or fall off which will disrupt the network becuase they are not transmitting their signal in the right direction. However, if a tower/antenna site survives (which most do) they will have about 4-12 hours of emergency backup power (generators, batteries) then they fail. That is why most can use a cell phone during and usually one day after the event and then service dies until the main power is restored or the wireless company adds more gas to the generator. They only caveat is capacity...if there are 1 millions calls into a network designed for 500K calls...there will be problems. Good luck to your family...I really feel for all those folks up there!

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: inland [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #41538 - Sun Jul 10 2005 02:00 PM

Probably but Dennis looks to be going more NW again in last few frames. I guess he is stair stepping.

--------------------
Jara

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center