F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Big Girl? [Re: Allison]
      #42820 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:41 PM

Emily (I love this storm, my daughter's name is Emily) is really beginning to look like a big girl. I think we will have our second hurricane by late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spencercape
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral/Matlacha Pass, FL
Re: Model mania [Re: Clark]
      #42821 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:44 PM

Funny as I thought the mets here went too much with the NHC at times, but in watching the board for over a year, and posting for less than a month, I have been suitably impressed by Clark and most of the others.... Ralph's tensions would more appropriately directed at Bastardi (who might as well be predicting landfall in North Dakota) and at TWC mets (who I believe blindly follow NHC and really do a poor job of thinking on their own. Ex: Charley even when the images were in front of them).

Clark and the other mets here give very valuable opinions and when appropriate alternative theory... and as for the models, I think if you look not just at this year, but over time, you'll find the models all do well under certain situations and poorly under others.. there is NO model that works ALL the time.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
At least the weather here is nice January, February, March and some of April!

spencercape
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: Lysis]
      #42822 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

I will probably get slammed for this... but reading statistics like that from Camille should put things in perspective. All you inlanders... God bless you... only have but a trite taste. The "I went through three hurricanes" defense (I am not saying anyone used it just now) is getting a little old. If you went through three, then the truth is, you are probably too inland to complain. Now… of course everyone’s personal experience ultimately defines their reality. No one died in my family, so the family that had someone die in Orlando or Polk county had it considerably worse than I, despite incremental windspeed. Never the less, Cat 1's and 2's, while stressful and certainly destructive, should be virtually cherished.

*emotionally prepares for perhapes the biggest verbal lashing of life*

EDIT: Yeah, that was pressure at landfall.

WELL SAID

--------------------

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Model mania [Re: spencercape]
      #42823 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:48 PM

There were some comments yesterday… and you guys need to be real careful about what you say about Joe. I mean… what if the guy is lurking or something? While that is doubtful… he is certainly much more intelligent and much more seasoned than most all of us. A second opinion, even if it is sometimes wrong, is always a good thing.

EDIT: WELL SAID
oh, ... thanks.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Jul 13 2005 11:50 PM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #42824 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:50 PM

Lysis, you do make a valid point. I also see valid points of reference to what Allison and some others are saying. Lets not let this become a back and forth match however. Damage and wind speeds are one thing but how one deals with the damage, etc is another. Sure a Cat 3 at the coast is probably way different far inland, but then remember Ivan and the tornados that came along.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

spencercape
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #42825 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:53 PM

Lysis....

I don't really care if he's lurking.... I do know that he's a degreed met, that he's worked at Accuweather for many years and moved up through the ranks to senior status, and I know he's GOT to be very good at what he does in order to achieve that.

I do think, however, he's now at a point where his continued "rise" will now be accomplished through gaining more attention, and the way he's going about it is stepping out on a limb (predicting things others wouldn't), creating "controversy" and generally grandstanding/overacting. So, for me, it's hard to take him seriously any longer.

I don't question his experience and abilities whatsoever, I just question his motives at this point.

And I don't think I am alone.

EDIT:Like I said: It's his methods I question, not his experience.... and the people here who are negative about _________ (fill in the blank) either don't understand or just like to stir the pot. The mets here are just as good (or better) than Joe, than anyone at TWC, and certainly any of us amateurs.

--------------------

Edited by spencercape (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:06 AM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #42826 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:54 PM

Exactly Storm Cooper... it is all relative. And that means that if we were more fortunate than others, we need to not complain. It is ok to tell a story... or even boast sometimes (look at my sig). But never use any storm as an excuse or to gain respect.

EDIT: Fair... but people were just over the top yesterday. The fact is, it would be an honor for him to "lurk" here... and people were making fun of him as a person and not as a meteorologist.
EDIT II: and just to point out... I have no idea if Joe Bastardi is lurking here or not. He probably isn't. I just said that, so don't run with it.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:00 AM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
trite taste [Re: Lysis]
      #42827 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:07 AM

Ask the people in Hardee & Desoto counties if they felt the effects of Charley were only a "trite taste".

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: trite taste [Re: twizted sizter]
      #42828 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:10 AM

Pm me if you have a problem with what I said, as I would be happy to talk to you about it (really! ) ... I don't want to jack the main thread.

EDIT: ...especially now that Storm Coopers pulled out the red ink. Ouch.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:19 AM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Re: trite taste [Re: Lysis]
      #42829 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:14 AM

This has to stop now. Everyone understands where I am coming from I think.

--------------------

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
      #42830 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:20 AM

My question about Joe Bastardi would be this: Does he really believe, deep in his heart, in what he is forecasting? You know peoples lives are at stake here and to be honest I will never make a decision based on what some renegade weatherman has to say...I dont care how many degrees he has. As far as I'm concerned ,and Im saying this knowing that I am a total layman , his forecasts are a joke to me. I can't believe as many people defend him as they do. I ,for the life of me, don't see what is so wrong with following what the NHC says. You want to bring up Charley? I'll tell you cone of error...it's there for a reason. EVERYONE down there should have been prepared. As has been said about a million times, a hurricane is not a thin line or a point. Can anyone here tell me they don't think the NHC is trying to serve the people out there by giving the best, most accurate forecast that they can? don't you think they know the responsibility they have? i don't think joe bastardi realizes the one he has.... or is this some kind of competition to see whos right? I will say this ,i have alot of confidence in the NHC's forecasts and I have the most respect for the meteorologists who post on this site but I have neither for Joe Bastardi. Oh, and i hope hes lurking

Edited by richisurfs (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:23 AM)

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
Re: trite taste [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #42831 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:22 AM

This discussion is really ticking me off....how does one person know the "trite" level from one person to another. Well heck how about throwing in the Xenia Ohio killer tornadoes in this pot, how would my trite 3 hit hurricane season from 2004 plus, tornadoes fit in the trite definition.

PS you probably won't post this but venting!

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: richisurfs]
      #42832 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:25 AM

the basartdi reference was low, man. You are totally right with Charley. Of course he totaly believes it. That is what bieng a strong met and sticking to your guns (but not afraid to admit when you are wrong) is all about! I think the reasoning behind Joe is that he wants to remain consistent which, (regardless of the excellent job that they pulled off with Dennis) the NHC is sometimes not so good at. Just like he was visually showing us the other day... it is all balance. The beauty of it is... if you don't like Joe, you can always stick with the NHC.

EDIT: Now I am sorry I posted that. Girlnascar... listen to storm cooper, you will. Lest you invoke the wrath of the red ink.

Edited by Lysis (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:28 AM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Re: trite taste [Re: Girlnascar]
      #42835 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:29 AM

OK. As I have said I really can see everyones point but this is getting out of hand and becoming personal between some. Thus it shall end here. If you have issues with someone on the board use the PM feature, otherwise lets change the direction of this now.

--------------------

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
      #42836 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:29 AM

If you are referring to "********" that was a typo..i editted it as soon as i saw it

Edited by Storm Cooper (Thu Jul 14 2005 12:31 AM)

spencercape
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Model mania *DELETED* [Re: richisurfs]
      #42837 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:30 AM

Post deleted by spencercape

--------------------

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Model mania [Re: spencercape]
      #42838 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:31 AM

So.....how about this systems out there in the Atlantic?

--------------------
Jara

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: trite taste [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #42839 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:34 AM

Please move these conversations to the private message system or it will be necessary to clear this entire thread.

We have storms to track and debate, not the merits of weather professionals. If you weren't aware, a strong tropical storm is making landfall in the windward islands and looks very impressive on the WATL-IR4 loop. Let's talk about that.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: trite taste [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #42840 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:35 AM

Wait, you mean there are storms in the Atlantic? When did this start happening?

angelswatch
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: FL
Re: trite taste [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #42841 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:37 AM

Is it likely that Emily could go between the Yucatan and Cuba and into the Gulf ?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center