F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: adogg76]
      #46251 - Mon Aug 01 2005 07:35 PM

the LLC has been there for a good 18 hours or so. and shows no signs of going away quite yet. It's moving north, and if it can ever get some convection closer to the center, you might yet see something pop up. (there's always the possibility that the vortex could simply reform under the convection)

93L Really, I think it's pretty much 'stick a fork in it' done.

94L doesn't seem to want to hybridize. and with a cold front heading towards it, it should get knocked out of the picture fairly quickly.

whatever is moving along at ~10N 53W is, as was pointed out earlier, trying to gain some latitude, but there are a lot of outflow boundries from collapsing thunderstorms, so... I would imagine there's nothing really going down there.

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: Bloodstar]
      #46253 - Mon Aug 01 2005 07:55 PM

Mark. I agree with you on all of the above. Excepting 93L.
Shortwave Sat from an hour ago is still indicating a ghost of a cluster just west of Grenada.
Not a lot of convection present, but thin cirrus abound in a nice round area.

Odd thing. This area west of Grenada has been indicating a disturbed area, off and on for the last 24-36 hours.
Somewhat of a mini-wave after mini-wave moving through the area.

92L-Possibility exists of a second vortice NNE of the visible low-level vortice.
It's really hard to tell, but I thought I saw a large circulation there. May be my eyes.
Low level vortice was moving NNE toward the main area of convection. Maybe the whole system will move on out to the fish-spinner area shortly.

adogg76
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: danielw]
      #46254 - Mon Aug 01 2005 08:00 PM

is there anything to this spinup of convection...looks to be East of Jax? We are getting some good stuff in Melbourne and I recall some conversations of a "homegrown" system developing......probably just summer storms but it is the tail of another front......just curious!!

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: adogg76]
      #46255 - Mon Aug 01 2005 08:04 PM

Think that area is just a cluster of thunderstorms off Jax. I point your attention to the wave that has just exited Africa. This seems well defined on satellite, and the GFS & UKMET are developing this feature. I think we are about to start the CV season (the real McCoy). Cheers!!

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: danielw]
      #46257 - Mon Aug 01 2005 08:28 PM

Ok....I believe in what you say, afterall, you know more about this stuff than me, but why isn't NHC saying anything remotely close to what you guys are saying? They pinned all the waves 92, 93, 94 as goners.....you guys are seeing circulation, LLC's, convection, etc....i am totally confused. The NHC is supposed to keep us informed as they are the prime outlet (as this site's disclaimer says) for information. Is the NHC not telling us something or are you guys just totally guessing? I want to make some plans for the upcoming week. The NHC basically says to go ahead, it's safe. You guys are saying there is still possibilities these waves could turn into something worse. I am not doubting you guys or anything, but why is the NHC not picking up on what you are clearly seeing on radar and sats?

well, you as the reader have to decide for yourself whether the ideas espoused by other forumers or the mods/admins here are on the mark. the NHC does a very good job sometimes, and other times they screw the pooch. the real advantage they have over anybody here is objectivity... on here we just tend to say 'it'll do this' or 'its going to get stronger'... and remain ambiguous about just how so. that and they understand things better, have better tools, albeit they don't tend to share reasoning as much as deliver dumbed-down for joe q public (and generic stuff for the newsies to cut and paste into their stories) forecasts. some NHC forecasters have gotten better about including reasoning into the discussions in the last couple of years. that's why everybody here tends to like stacy stewart.. even if he's a little gung-ho at times.
-HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Mon Aug 01 2005 09:31 PM)

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Don't count 92L out quite yet (and a few other tidbits) [Re: damejune2]
      #46260 - Mon Aug 01 2005 09:54 PM

What is August 1 the day of TUTTS (ULLs)? - Count 'em..the central GOM, east of the Bahamas, one near 30N-55W, and another at 30N42W...no wonder nothings developing in this cold core atmosphere..that's a lot of shear

oh, I left one out -there's another one south of Jamaica

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

--------------------
RJB

Edited by Ron Basso (Mon Aug 01 2005 10:00 PM)

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Ron Basso]
      #46261 - Mon Aug 01 2005 09:58 PM

Looks like some of Stacy's writing got cut off in first paragraph....the second sentence ends with a period, but makes no sense as written.

Stacy---you listening??

MM

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: MapMaster]
      #46263 - Mon Aug 01 2005 10:01 PM

Well, what a boring week it has been. Though I guess that is a good thing.

I see Navy has dropped 93L and 94L from their watch list...

Edited by Random Chaos (Mon Aug 01 2005 10:06 PM)

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: apopka
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Random Chaos]
      #46265 - Mon Aug 01 2005 11:05 PM

Great article on the future of predicting intensity in today's Orlando Sentinel. One neat thing is that they are planning on the next wave of hurricane models to start testing in 2007.

Here's the link to the paper's front web site. Couldn't get the entire link to work.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/

Edited by abyrd (Mon Aug 01 2005 11:06 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
big picture [Re: Random Chaos]
      #46266 - Mon Aug 01 2005 11:23 PM

just looking at waves and saying 'oh, that's our next storm' worked between the end of june and the 3rd week of july. since then the formula has changed.. the big expanse of no shear and broad ridging across the basin has broken down into the usual early season rabble of upper troughs.
did a very small amount of research and found that MJO has activated.. the 5-day means show a strengthening dipolar anomaly pattern, with the westpac getting more favorable conditions and conditions worsening in the atlantic (particularly the eastern atlantic). SOI has been negative (not strongly so), but it's more than a 3-5 day pulse and is increasing the westerly flow in the atlantic, pushing wave energy north and out along the strengthened upper troughs. MJO can activate and then wink out (like it had been from late may-early july) and may later in the season, but it looks like august will feature the feast-or-famine trends that go with MJO activity. the hurricane-enhancing anomalies will get here just as we enter the historically active part of the season (gfs has been showing more activity in the extended period)... it may take a week, ten days, two or even three weeks.. but when the negative MJO phase gets here later in august watch another flurry of hurricanes come swarming across the atlantic. the phase of MJO runs 40-50 days.. so one would expect 20-25 days of active/inactive at a particular location (though it doesn't ever work that perfectly). assuming the activation of the mitigating phase around july 15-20 (late in the life of emily), the arrival of the catalytic phase should take place somewhere between august 5-15. it'll help if SOI goes positive in their sometime.. otherwise it could serve as a hangup and delay the switch. the eastpac is showing signs of life for the first time in a long time... watch for a storm out there to signal the activation of the atlantic about a week later.
as for anything trying to eek through in the meanwhile.. if it isn't in the mid latitudes already or going north/northeast... it probably won't meet much success. activity in the deep tropics should remain suppressed this week. 92L looks better than ever in terms of having a surface circulation... a single exposed low poked out of the convection this morning and has turned NE towards the main blow-up under the narrow upper ridge just east of it... another low-level swirl seems to have peeked out to its north. the shearing upper low is diving sw ahead of it finally, upper ridging should build over the mostly stationary system and give it a chance to spin up. diving shortwaves moving off the east coast should keep it out to sea, however, if it does develop. still a small chance on the troughiness hung near the SE coast, nothing so far.
should be a fairly quiet week, but things should be very different in another week or two.
HF 2323z01august

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #46269 - Tue Aug 02 2005 12:20 AM

They Navy only drop 93L, 94L is still active on list..
Dave

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Old Sailor]
      #46270 - Tue Aug 02 2005 12:46 AM

Quote:

They Navy only drop 93L, 94L is still active on list..
Dave

They are only showing 92L as active now. BUt I haven't received any model runs off it since 1/00Z. Wonder if the models has done lost it again?

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #46271 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:05 AM

Navy

Navy web site..................

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
      #46272 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:12 AM

Quote:

Navy

Navy web site..................

This is the one I was looking at
Navy

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #46273 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:13 AM

your site was not working.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #46274 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:21 AM

This one: http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Hurricane Fredrick 1979 did a bad link job

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #46275 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:24 AM

The site you list is running about 1hr to 11/2 hours behind the one I listed...

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #46276 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:38 AM

The demise of 93L as it approached the eastern Caribbean was just short of amazing.... it was a relatively strong tropical wave with good potential as it went through the islands and when it hit the area known as the graveyard for tropical development, which certainly was apropos in this case, the system just evaporated into thin air, literally... hardly any evidence that it ever existed tonight...

off topic, here is a very excellent link for high quality sat pixs that I use....

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/SAT_US/recentir.html

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Outlook incomplete [Re: Frank P]
      #46278 - Tue Aug 02 2005 01:48 AM

Thanks for the link Frank: Like I said back on July 26th, The Dust cloud may have played a part in the last 2 waves not forming very well, now that 92L is up and out of the Carb, it may do sometime. Don't think the NHC really taken into account the effects a Dust cloud could have on a system .... granted there also was a lot of shear that came into play..

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
      #46280 - Tue Aug 02 2005 02:49 AM

sorry to be off topic....HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD SAILOR!!!....boy am i glad no storms...WOOHOO party time

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center