F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Tropical Storm Irene Forms from TD#9, No Threat to Land [Re: WeatherNut]
      #47228 - Wed Aug 10 2005 12:36 AM

thought i'd use the old header from a couple days ago when irene was supposed to have recurved already. thought i'd keep things fair and balanced after all, so ralphfl doesn't start calling me a wishcaster.
speaking of wishcasting... every time there's a weak storm moving north of the islands progged to come west the references to Andrew start.. Andrew did this, Andrew did that.. a cat 5 analog is after all the best thing to use in every situation, as cat 5 hurricanes happen almost every week. really, i saw some smart person toss in dora of 1964... not bad. dora was already a great deal stronger, but the evolving pattern may be something of that ilk.
anywho, the status. irene is being sheared at different heights... northerly shear very high up, sw shear associated with the upper trough that missed it at the outflow levels. this pattern caused irene's brief improvement overnight to result in a decoupling today.. the mlc is still trailing the LLC a tad at this hour. dry environment, persisting shear and stack problems (real disorganization in my book) are keeping it moving just south of west and not allowing it to strengthen. of course there are still models killing irene (gfdl and lots of the globals have been losing it for days).. but irene isn't going to die. the scenario that bastardi outlined is coming into play with the escape hatch being the reorganization of the ridge around fri-sat. if irene is far enough north at that time.. it'll do something like felix 1995 did. if irene isn't... it'll come west like a rocket next week and hit somebody like a ton of bricks around wed. irene has probably been at t.s. status all day (and yesterday... t-numbers are usually a little low on sheared systems with sporadic convection... the LLC with irene has been solid). should get the official upgrade tomorrow and move west a little more quickly.. slow down around the weekend.. and either meander near bermuda next week or be accelerating and deepening under the ridge. potential impact is still tuesday, august 16th at earliest. it isn't certain by any means... but the configuration is there if the storm evolves correctly to verify what joe b has cooking up.
other areas... wave train is depressed, but an ITCZ focal area near 45w may activate as a tropical wave approaches. there's good low level convergence, a kick from a wave may start something. there's already a weak trough trailing se from irene leading up from there.. there's the potential pathway.
that little swirl i was eyeballing yesterday tracked south of puerto rico.. showed well on radar.. then there it was running south of hispaniola today. tomorrow morning it should be passing jamaica if it hasnt' become indistinct. hostile shear conditions present, but they are lessening. that little bugger had better be gone tomorrow.. it's like an baby evil clown or something. creepy.
still waiting on the home brew. not expecting. there's a couple of weak impulses moving up ahead of the shortwave near the mid atlantic (hopefully what will pull irene out of from the starting gate)... nothing doing. weak low still near the fl/ga/al confluence... keeping it moist over the southeast day after day.
t.s. fernanda in the eastpac has come up, so the atlantic should go active in a week or so. that relationship works often enough in this type of season. the ensemble means have ridging near the east coast for days... better hope the ridge is amplified rather than zonal to the east.. otherwise this is going to be a long month.
HF 0435z10august

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
No model is that accurate at Day 7 or 8! [Re: wulrich]
      #47244 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:09 AM

I beg to differ with you; no model can be expected to be that accurate let alone be within any kind of reasonable margin of error one week out. I grant you the GFS goes out 2 weeks, but no one even remotely looks at it beyond day 7 or day 8. There are too many variables that far out. You also have to remember, NWS doesn't sample the upper air until a storm is within a 96 to 120 hour window and there is next to nothing in the way of upper air data out there. The only tool forecasters have is satellite. It irritates me when I see this type of post. Forecasting has gotten really good over the past decade or so, but it's isn't an exact science. Please cut the people who forecast and the models that computers generate some slack; 7 days out?

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41192

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center