F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
5 a.m. [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #49402 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:18 AM

At 5 a.m., Katrina is 90 miles due east of Ft. Lauderdale moving west at 8 m.p.h. It looks like Northern Broward County currently has the best chance of landfall. The storm has remained the same overnight and that's a good thing. Here in Palm Beach County there is actually a half day of school until noon today, even though we have a Hurricane Warning and the storm is only 100 miles away. That is crazy! Looks like this storm may not intensify into a hurricane, hopefully(my opinion). Pressure here down to 29.80"

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Good Luck, Bob [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #49403 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:23 AM

Glad to see lots of us got some sleep:

5am updates are in:

Full Update: www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2%2Bshtml/241445.shtml

NOT a significant amount of change since 2am update. IMO, this is possibly the beginning of the forecasted slow down??

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Thu Aug 25 2005 10:06 AM)

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Good Luck, Bob [Re: native]
      #49404 - Thu Aug 25 2005 09:36 AM

This comment is what amazes me:
TRACK MODEL GUIDANCE RESPONDS TO THIS PATTERN WITH A SPREAD OF
LANDFALLS IN FLORIDA FROM THE KEYS TO NORTH OF LAKE OKEECHOBEE.
Sounds like we will just have to watch and see for the day. The cone is still so large for such a close storm. NHC seems to have their hands full.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: 5 a.m. [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49406 - Thu Aug 25 2005 10:46 AM

WXMAN if the storm does go into North Broward...you will be on the worst side of the storm (can't forget that!). Does anyone notice a little south of west job of the center on radar?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_N0R_lp.shtml

Could be a wobble, we'll have to wait and see. Oh and get this, we have to work this morning until 12pm. I don't think folks down here GET what a hurricane warning means! It means you don't work!

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: 5 a.m. [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #49407 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:02 AM

Miami radar is showing that the eastern half of the eyewall is getting stronger and spiral bands are now developing on the NW side of the storm. The storm appears to be nearly stationary. If convection manages to completely wrap around the center, look out for some rapid strengthening.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kamx.shtml

--------------------
RJB

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: 5 a.m. [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #49408 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

WXMAN if the storm does go into North Broward...you will be on the worst side of the storm (can't forget that!). Does anyone notice a little south of west job of the center on radar?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_N0R_lp.shtml

Could be a wobble, we'll have to wait and see. Oh and get this, we have to work this morning until 12pm. I don't think folks down here GET what a hurricane warning means! It means you don't work!

yes i saw the SW movement, lets hope its temporary and not the gensis of the GFDL solution taking place.

teesda

Reged:
Re: 5 a.m. [Re: jlauderdal]
      #49410 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:21 AM

Go figure. I have been tracking hurricanes for over 10 years now. I am supposed to be getting married (for the first time) in Clearwater 11am Sunday morning. My finance told me that it was just destined to find me. Hopefully it will fizzle out and no one will have to worry about it, but that seems very unlikely.

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Bouy Info [Re: jlauderdal]
      #49411 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:21 AM

Virginia Key
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=VAKF1

Is showing West winds:
Wind Direction (WDIR): W ( 280 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 8.0 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 15.9 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.80 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.04 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 81.1 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 87.3 °F

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Bouy Info [Re: Beach]
      #49412 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:24 AM

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=FWYF1

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=MLRF1

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=LONF1

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
8am [Re: Beach]
      #49413 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:54 AM

8am just out.Still moving west at 8mph.If it does not slow down then we should be better off.Winds still at 50mph.It is stating to feel like at storm here,we had a gust from the north at 23mph.Nail biting time,will it slow down and get stronger????70 miles from Fort Lauderdale.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Thu Aug 25 2005 11:55 AM)

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Wind Gusts [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #49414 - Thu Aug 25 2005 11:59 AM

Here in Merrit Island we had a NE wind gust of 33mpg @ 6:53am
this morning.
We just had another NE wind gust of 24 mph

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Warnings Up Vero South to Florida City [Re: MikeC]
      #49416 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:14 PM

Going to create a new topic and link it for Situation Reports from your area at this link

Ie if a band comes through, or you find something in your immediate local area that you personally experienced, put it there. General comments and the like and public information can remain in the main thread!

Unofficial forecasts can go here

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Beach]
      #49417 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:15 PM

Well, unless we start to get some explosive growth in the next five hours, I think we are only looking at a minimal Cat 1 on landfall. Looks to be within 20 miles either side of Deerfield Beach. Although, I would say 50 miles either side of Deerfield needs to watch out.

The solution once she crosses is still open. I am not sure I buy the coast hugger. I think that NHC's forecast path is still on target. I think a lot of the result will depend on if the storm follows the wsw track influence across Florida or the wnw influence.

--------------------
Jim

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Rasvar]
      #49418 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:19 PM

moderate stregthning today into tonight. Pressure down to 998mb now but could be lower,,,need recon in there asap. Movement looks like sw but also there is a dry slot near the center,, that should fill in later today. 11am winds should go up to 60mph but never know what they will find...obs, etc...

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Rasvar]
      #49419 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:27 PM

Looking over the models runs:

* Both CMC (00Z) and UKMET (00Z) match the NHC westerly track pretty closely.
* NOGAPS (00Z) takes the system more west northwest.
* GFS (06Z) and GFDL (00Z) are swinging the system southwest around the tip of FL.

I find the last two curious. While the GFDL has been consistantly showing a southward swing, it is the 00Z run. The GFS, which had been showing the system sticking to the Atlantic yesterday, now, on the 06Z run, is do a sudden drop south then southwest just as Katrina nears the coast. It looks like both the GFDL and GFS actually cause the system to be disrupted slightly near the coast, but then reform it slightly south allowing the jog around FL. If this pans out, it "might" be good new for east coast of FL, but certainly not for the gulf.

Given the past reliability of the GFS and GFDL models, we can't ignore these potential tracks.

Model tracks: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/
I used 850mb Vorticity for the tracks, except GFDL where the 850mb is missing. There I used the 310K Potential Vorticity.

Edited by Random Chaos (Thu Aug 25 2005 12:34 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49420 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:35 PM

almost all the models for days now expected a wsw or sw turn. Some more then others yes. Anyways the NHC keeps saying it will slow down, but it hasnt yet, as of right now,,couple days ago it was only suppose to be near Nassau. Its already 100 miles wnw of that. I expect it to move wsw over the next day or 2 and almost stall out..drift NNW then move N later Saturday into Sunday with a bend Sunday to the NNEor NE even. I dont think this will pass 83.5W at the most west on Saturday night. Looks like the exit of Florida might be near Naples Saturday morning.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49421 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:42 PM

uhh....those tracks still show Hurricane Force winds in South FL...i wouldn't think that is good news...looks like it is heading on a nudge south of west right now...maybe it is a radar illusion? or the real thing?

alfrescobeats

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warnings Up Vero South to Florida City [Re: MikeC]
      #49422 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:45 PM

Hi - my apologies first and foremost as I have no idea re-weather watching, although im more than used to bad weather living in glasgow, scotland.
I am due to fly into orlando sanford at 1540 local time on friday for a two week holiday and I have been weatherwatching in FL for sometime now and picked up on the severe weather alerts issued. Could you please advise me how the storm may affect my locale (orlando) and how likely is it that the flights will be delayed?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
chris

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: scottsvb]
      #49423 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:46 PM

Based on radar out of Miami, it appears that the eye is finally starting to wrap around. We should see an increase in intensity by the 11am advisory, and my guess is that this will probably come ashore at 75-85mph.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wind Gusts [Re: Ronn]
      #49426 - Thu Aug 25 2005 01:11 PM

Looking at the radar site out of Miami, it looks to me that Katrina is NORTH of Miami. Am I seeing things? If it's moving, it doesn't look to be moving very fast. If I am looking at this radar loop correctly, it is already north of Miami and it appears that landfall would occur somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and WPB.
FYI ... anyone living on the Central West coast of Florida should read the NWS Discussion from 4:45am today. It is the most detailed disco I've ever seen.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55962

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center