F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: ]
      #56074 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:50 AM

After taking a wobble to the NW, Rita appears to have taken a sharp left back to the W in the last few IR images. These storms don't move in perfectly straight lines, so I would advise anyone not to drive yourself crazy with the short-term wobbles of the eye.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Random Chaos]
      #56078 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:55 AM

Well, Joe "B" just did his briefing on FNC, and he stated the the point of impact could be 50-60 mile south of GAL/HOU. But he did re-iterate that he believes a track more to the right which means GAL/HOU with winds at 150+ for that area. Another Catastrophic storm about to hit in about 48 hrs. May god bless us and those in the path of this monster.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: RKS]
      #56079 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:59 AM

Quote:

Margie:

Sine is opposite over hypotenus. Tangent is opposite over adjacent. If you are using delta longitude and latitude, you should use tangent, not sine.

I was just going the long way around the barn...calculating the hypotenuse first. But actually I'm glad you made me look twice...math was off but not for that reason, I dropped a decimal point. Angle is less than 1 degree So movement last 24 hours was 270.

Hey, the last couple hours the cloud tops are getting colder, and eye is getting smaller (maybe I better steer clear of numbers for awhile, and just use adjectives).

Edited by Margie (Thu Sep 22 2005 02:13 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56080 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:59 AM

Ouch...

Louisiana looks under the gun again - look at the latest GFS ensemble runs!

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/gfs_track1.png

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #56084 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:03 AM

interesting study on Katrina's "hot towers".
I'm sure Rita has them too.

Hot Towers

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #56085 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:04 AM

Yes, but only 4 out of 15 ensembles. Not a good average.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #56086 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:04 AM

Quote:

Ouch...

Oh God. AP04 puts this thing on top of BILOXI at the end of the run!?!?
All of the models turn it eastward after landfall (or southeast)???
What are AN03 and AP04? Those seem to be the most ominous, taking the thing into Louisiana and then back down into the GOM near N.O. and Biloxi, respectively. Literally, that's unbelievable.

It's only one model run, though. If it continues I'll be panicky in the morning...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Hugh]
      #56088 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:11 AM

The TITAN model just shown on FNC shows the power of Rita. Tropical storm force winds will be from TX/MX border all along the Gulf Coast to N.O. That is an outrageous wind field to expand that far out and wide. Radar from Miami still showing outter rain bands still coming onshore on the West Coast of FLA, considering her location out into the Gulf.

Edited by The Force 2005 (Thu Sep 22 2005 02:12 AM)

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #56089 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:12 AM

Yeah, I didn't like that one bit.

Nor did I like what I appear to be seeing in the last few recon data plots.

I am not freaking out - yet - but in the morning that may change. Not that I think we're going to get it "in the face" over here in the Panhandle - but I do not like trends when they go against what's been prognosticated - not only by myself, but also by pro Mets.

My "bullseye" last night before the 10pm update was 90.04W at landfall with a nearly-due-north motion - which is roughly the western tip of Galveston. I'm still there, but my confidence is not what it was last evening.....

I want to see anotehr six hours of a significantly north of west motion - and a crossing of 25N before or at 88W - before I start getting concerned that my projection was way off-base.

90.04W is the New Orleans Airport...not Galveston.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 22 2005 02:27 AM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Genesis]
      #56091 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:15 AM

Sea surface Height Comparison - "Why Rita will lose strength"

Katrina

Rita

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: Genesis]
      #56092 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:20 AM

Quote:

I am not freaking out - yet - but in the morning that may change. Not that I think we're going to get it "in the face" over here in the Panhandle - but I do not like trends when they go against what's been prognosticated - not only by myself, but also by pro Mets.

Don't panic - yet. The last few IR images show a motion slight SOUTH of due west, to put Rita back on a due west track over the long haul, it would seem, for now. My feeling is still that it will track north of the thin black line, maybe as far as near the TX/LA line even, but I *THINK* WE are safe here in the Panhandle.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #56093 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

Oh God. AP04 puts this thing on top of BILOXI at the end of the run!?!?
All of the models turn it eastward after landfall (or southeast)???
What are AN03 and AP04? Those seem to be the most ominous, taking the thing into Louisiana and then back down into the GOM near N.O. and Biloxi, respectively. Literally, that's unbelievable.

It's only one model run, though. If it continues I'll be panicky in the morning...

Some background on ensemble modelling...what you are seeing is the same model (the GFS) run several times with slightly different initial data (or perturbations)...AP is a positve perturbation, while AN is an negative one...the higher the number, the more extreme the change from what the observed initial data was. The fact that some of the runs go east is not surprising, in fact it SHOULD happen that way. As with all modelling for hurricanes, don't pick one of those lines and ride it...watch the trend for all of them!

In a related matter, in the 10pm (EDT) Conference Call, NHC said they are shifting the track closer to Galveston in the 11pm package.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #56094 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

Ouch...

Watch the times on the model runs. That link is the 18Z run and is well over 8 hours old.~danielw

True...but that is the last data we have from the GFS...the 00Z just started running...JK

Okay, I'll go back to my corner.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 22 2005 02:28 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: wxman007]
      #56095 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:24 AM

Quote:

In a related matter, in the 10pm (EDT) Conference Call, NHC said they are shifting the track closer to Galveston in the 11pm package.

Thanks for the clarification regarding that graphic! So, is a shift closer to Galveston a track more northward? Did they indicate what the intensity would be set at? I have not seen a recon since the 899 one (which was originally 898) at 2309z which is 4 hours old now. Weren't they going to go to 3 hr fixes this afternoon?

--------------------
Hugh

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
      #56096 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:26 AM

Another point to think about in the track is the two bubbles of high pressure - one over Fl and ! still west of Rita over E texas- is that as the western high moves east there could be a little more southerly pressure on Rita's track as the high approaches. This could push her away from the highest heat content waters in the loop and eddy areas of the gulf.

still no realistic indication of a sudden major change in the track

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: danielw]
      #56097 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:28 AM

Daniel,

Looking at the GFS, at 72hrs it looks like a TX/LA landfall, what is occuring for that to run the way it did?

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #56098 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification regarding that graphic! So, is a shift closer to Galveston a track more northward? Did they indicate what the intensity would be set at? I have not seen a recon since the 899 one (which was originally 898) at 2309z which is 4 hours old now. Weren't they going to go to 3 hr fixes this afternoon?

Yes, that is a track shift slighly more east/north. I didn't hear what the intensity would be, but we will find out in a few minutes anyway.

We are due for a vortex...overdue in fact...I am not sure if there has been an equipment problem in the recon aircraft (which has happened a lot with this storm) or if the latest recons are being "held" until the advisory comes out...(oh, I forgot...NHC promised they didn't do that...LOL).

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #56099 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:30 AM

Well, like I said - I'm not freaking out - yet.

I have no reason to believe that the Panhandle is "under the gun" on this one. But - it appeared for the last 24 hours that my own workup - showing a bullseye on Galveston - was not jiving with the NHC. I have some friends in that general area and while they were expecting a storm, they did not have the urgency to get out - even though they're being told to.

I told them where I thought it was going. They said they'd buy more beer. I told them to put the beer in the truck along with all their valuables, papers, and wardrobe and get the @!@$#!@ out! Drink the beer in a hotel room - 200 or more miles inland!

Hopefully they'll listen.... to me, to official requests and evac orders, to the NHC.....

There are no real good solutions on the table for this thing going in right now. I personally think the western edge of my expected impact area still hoses Galveston badly, while the eastern edge probably puts enough rain and surge into NO to cause trouble there. I'm not buying a further westward/southward impact than that at this point, and I don't see an impact east of NO unless something really wild was to happen with the high over Texas (for which there is NO model support)... but I could be wrong!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: danielw]
      #56100 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:30 AM

She's trying to move more north, but can't.....

Water Vapor

Will be interesting to see where the "turn" will be... and how close to the coast....more NW or WNW.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf [Re: wxman007]
      #56101 - Thu Sep 22 2005 02:31 AM

11pm adv, pressure 897, winds 175 sustained....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54831

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center