F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Vortex message [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #58820 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

963 mb is absurdly low for a cat 1 hurricane, but this is probably approaching cat 2 as we speak.

Yeah, under normal Atlantic conditions 963 is borderline Cat 3 - but as Clark mentioned, the western Carribean has lower-than-average pressure right now, so the pressure gradient isn't as high as 963mb would normally indicate.

--RC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Vortex message [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58821 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:30 PM

It appears as though a small eye is becoming apparent on the 21:45 UTC Infrared:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58822 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:32 PM

...and...overall, Wilma is looking more symetrical in the CDO.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: 5PM Disco... [Re: Margie]
      #58824 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:33 PM

While we're at it with the maps... here's one just for Charlotte County. The spot elevations layer has surveyed elevations all over the county.
http://ccgis.com/

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #58825 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:36 PM

I was wondering if anyone has a link to stats on GFDL accuracy? Where did their model go in conjunction with actual landfall? Local mets keep bringing up the GFDL model and its track. Thanks in advance!

Big Kahuna
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeLand, Florida
      #58826 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:37 PM

I read this in the "how to" vortex message:
An eye diameter that shrinks (compared to the previous vortex message) may signal strengthening: just as a twirling ice skater spins faster as she pulls in her arms, a hurricane may "spin" faster as its eye gets smaller. Eye diameters are usually 10-20 nautical miles, while we sometimes see them as small as 5 nm to as large as 60 nm.

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/vortex.htm
Also in the lates Vortex message it stated that max winds were at 82kts so that would be just shy of a cat 2 storm

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #58827 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

963 mb is absurdly low for a cat 1 hurricane, but this is probably approaching cat 2 as we speak.

I agree. Katrina was a bit slow getting there, but at least she had the good sense to have 110mph winds when she was at 963mb. Wilma really is in the stone age when it comes to Hurricane Dos and Don'ts.

RC, I forgot about the eye being ragged before...you're right, that makes a huge difference.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #58828 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:46 PM

I think the combination of lower-surface pressures surrounding the storm and the flat pressure gradient inside the storm itself (which are not necessarily directly related) are causing the underwhelming wind speeds so far. Wilma seems to have a very large radius of tropical storm force winds for a cat 1 storm, indicating that the system has not really wound up like a hurricane normally does. That will likely change if it keeps deepening like this. It may always have somewhat lower winds compared to what you would expect because of the surrounding below-average pressure field, but it still has a lot of tighening up it can do.

iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #58829 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:54 PM

I am new to this so please excuse me if i get this wrong, but if the storm continues to move west and then make a late turn to the north wouldn't that give the cold front enough time to come down in the gulf and push the storm south of florida as it begins to move north???????

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #58830 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Looking at the IR, the section that's over the Caribbean currently seems to have more than one hot spot. Perhaps resulting in unusually slow wind speed for such a low pressure?

But it looks like the Cuban land mass is about to 'lance' the largest group of those hot spots to the northeast of Wilma's center.

Edited by Spoken (Tue Oct 18 2005 11:03 PM)

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #58831 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:56 PM

Can someone confirm that the 00Z runs tonight at midnight will include the NOAA jet data?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #58832 - Tue Oct 18 2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

I think the combination of lower-surface pressures surrounding the storm and the flat pressure gradient inside the storm itself (which are not necessarily directly related) are causing the underwhelming wind speeds so far. Wilma seems to have a very large radius of tropical storm force winds for a cat 1 storm, indicating that the system has not really wound up like a hurricane normally does. That will likely change if it keeps deepening like this. It may always have somewhat lower winds compared to what you would expect because of the surrounding below-average pressure field, but it still has a lot of tighening up it can do.

Looking at the IR loop, two things are apparent to me:
1. It's rapidly intensifying.
2. It's slowing down in terms of forward motion, at least in the last hour or two.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
      #58833 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Pressure down 7 mb in about 2 hours, with the eye contracting to 7 mi in diameter... looks like a rapid deepening is underway.

SECOND HALF OF QUOTE HAS BEEN EDITED OUT BY ME.
I am just adding a fact and mean no criticism of original post.

Explosive Deepening:
A decrease in the minimum sea-level pressure of a tropical cyclone of 2.5 mb/hr for at least 12 hours or 5 mb/hr for at least six hours.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: Hugh]
      #58834 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:05 PM

Wilma looks like it is intensifying fairly rapidly to me. However, I notice the NHC wind speed projections level the storm off after a couple of days. This is apparently due to the expected influence of the front in the latter period.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #58835 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Wilma looks like it is intensifying fairly rapidly to me. However, I notice the NHC wind speed projections level the storm off after a couple of days. This is apparently due to the expected influence of the front in the latter period.

I just don't know... looking at Wilma right now, it appears to be moving almost due west again. Experts say that the delay in the northward jog will ultimately put the storm further south along the coast of Florida (or even in the Keys or below), but what if the currently-expected trough MISSES Wilma completely? This would cause the storm to continue moving west, or maybe WNW, into the Yucatan and ultimately the BOC, wouldn't it?

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
      #58836 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:28 PM

Wilma has some of the the deepest central dense overcast I have seen in a long time. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a storm with the grey cloud tops encompassing that much of the core.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: Hugh]
      #58837 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:31 PM

It looks like Wilma is moving more west than the tropical forecast points. Try this link and check off the "Tropical Forecast Points" if it is not already.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Vortex message [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58838 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:32 PM

I'm sure the objective Dvorak numbers have shot through the roof for Wilma in the last couple of hours. It easily has the satellite appearance of a major hurricane, but it may take a little while for the wind intensity to catch up, assuming it maintains this level of organization for awhile.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Vortex message [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58839 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:34 PM

Do some of the 18Z models at Colorado State seem to be edging farther North from the 12Z..hmmmm?
I know that they will change a lot, but just thought I'd post.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #58840 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:35 PM

Guys, a jog is a jog is a jog.....I wouldn't get so excited about it.

Yes....Wilma is spinning up quite rapidly.
She has a tight eye like Mitch did - and in the same area of the Caribbean.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79116

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center