F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Vortex message [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #58841 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:38 PM

URNT12 KNHC 182328
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 18/23:09:50Z
B. 16 deg 36 min N
081 deg 41 min W
C. 850 mb 1037 m
D. 45 kt
E. 178 deg 049 nm
F. 257 deg 080 kt
G. 167 deg 007 nm
H. 954 mb
I. 18 C/ 1518 m
J. 22 C/ 1524 m
K. 20 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C8
N. 12345/ 8
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF302 0524A Wilma OB 21
MAX FL WIND 82 KT NE QUAD 21:39:30 Z
MAX FL WIND OUTBOUND 101 KT N QUAD 23:12:10
VERY TIGHT WIND CENTER

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Vortex message [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58842 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:38 PM

The CDO is incredible on this storm. I too have never seen this symetry of CDO on such a weak hurricane. I note, however, the NHC guidance on wind seepd probability after a couple of days - leveling off with a very wide margin of error. The NHC guidance is at the higher end of this intensity forecast.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #58843 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:40 PM

Quote:

Guys, a jog is a jog is a jog.....I wouldn't get so excited about it.

Yes....Wilma is spinning up quite rapidly.
She has a tight eye like Mitch did - and in the same area of the Caribbean.

Oh, I'm not "excited" about the jog. If it extends to more than just a jog, I'll be intrigued a bit, though.
I don't remember ever looking at a WV image of Mitch, much less at its strongest period, but Wilma certainly looks stronger than 80 mph - I'd estimate closer to 105 based on the satellite.

Looking at the U.S. national water vapor loop... the trough appears to me to be oriented almost due N/S right now. How is this going to push the storm ENE or NE? The trough also looks like it will take longer to make an impact than I would have expected given the forecast. If I were in the Yucatan, I'd be a bit nervous.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #58844 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:41 PM

Am I reading the Vortex information correctly - 954mb with Max winds at the start of 82 and 101 at the end of the recon?

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58845 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:41 PM

Pressure drop of 9 mb in less than 90 minutes... pretty impressive. The dropsonde into the eye measured surface winds of 13 knots, so the actual central pressure is probably slightly lower.

A dropsonde in the southern eyewall measured 82 kts at the surface right before that recon fix, which was actually slightly higher than the flight-level winds in that area. If the same relationship holds true in the northern eyewall, the max surface intensity is close to 100 knots. The flight-level winds in the northern eyewall increased from 75 knots on the inbound leg to 101 knots on the last outbound leg, in a span of about 3 hours.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Vortex message *DELETED* [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58846 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:43 PM

Post deleted by lunkerhunter

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #58847 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:44 PM

Quote:

H. 954 mb
MAX FL WIND 82 KT NE QUAD 21:39:30 Z
MAX FL WIND OUTBOUND 101 KT N QUAD 23:12:10
VERY TIGHT WIND CENTER

GEESH this thing is going to be packing quite a punch VERY soon. I know, the pressures are overall quite low in the NW Caribbean... but one thing I always look for is an incredible pressure drop, to signify a strengthening storm. Forget the actual pressure - a drop of 16 MB in a couple of hours (I forget exactly when the last recon fix was) is incredible. We saw it with Rita, too, so it's not shocking, but it's significant. The phrase "very tight wind center" is indicative of a Dennis-like storm. It's like history is repeating itself repeatedly this season.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

swimaway19
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Safety Harbor, FL
      #58848 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:44 PM

Official intesity posted is 100 mph w/ motion at WNW @ 8mph

--------------------
Chris
Swim Away, Swim Far Away....

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #58849 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

actually slightly higher than the flight-level winds in that area. If the same relationship holds true in the northern eyewall, the max surface intensity is close to 100 knots. The flight-level winds in the northern eyewall increased from 75 knots on the inbound leg to 101 knots on the last outbound leg, in a span of about 3 hours.

Given the current satellite signature (very impressive), it's definately on the way to Cat 3 (100 kts+) if it's not already there.

Intermediate advisory headline says it succintly:
"...Wilma undergoing rapid intensification..."

"only" up to 100mph so far, but that'll probably change by 11pm, if not before.

--------------------
Hugh

Edited by Hugh (Tue Oct 18 2005 11:47 PM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Vortex message [Re: Hugh]
      #58851 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:47 PM

pressure has dropped 16mb in a little over 3 hours.

whoops......actually it was Gilbert.

Gilbert with small eye

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: swimaway19]
      #58852 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:49 PM

Accuweather has a new post up as of 19:41 ET.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58853 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:50 PM

The 7pm advisory raises the intensity to 85 knots (100 mph). Looks like they went for the by-the-book reduction of max flight-level winds, which is probably a conservative estimate. The 82 kt surface winds in the southern eyewall, which figures to be the weaker side of the system, would argue for something higher than 85 kts.

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
      #58854 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:51 PM

-16 mb in about 3 1/2 hours. Well on the way to meeting "explosive deepening" criterion.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #58855 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:52 PM

Quote:

pressure has dropped 16mb in a little over 3 hours.
whoops......actually it was Gilbert.
Gilbert with small eye

"The aircraft reports that the central pressure is falling rapidly... and Wilma is expected to
become a major hurricane later tonight or on Wednesday."

I've never seen the NHC say anything like that in a public advisory. They've said it in discussions before, but in a public advisory they are usually less dramatic.

I must say, if you move Wilma a bit further north, you pretty much have a satellite signature like Gilbert.

--------------------
Hugh

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Vortex message [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58856 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:52 PM

orlandodan, what does it say on Accuweather?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58857 - Tue Oct 18 2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

orlandodan, what does it say on Accuweather?

Here's a snippet:
Given that we have had a drop of 16 millibars in pressure during the past 2 hours suggest Wilma is undergoing rapid intensification similar to what happened with Katrina and Rita. Often it takes 2-6 hours for the winds to correspond to this drop in pressure. So, its a good bet that Wilma is a category 2 hurricane and should become a category 3 hurricane by Wednesday morning. At this rate its very possible Wilma will become a category 4 hurricane before it reaches the Yucatan Channel Thursday night.

--------------------
Hugh

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58858 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:00 AM

"At this rate", Wilma would be a category 4 storm in the next 6-12 hours. How long the storm can continue deepening at such a rate remains to be seen, though.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Wed Oct 19 2005 12:01 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #58859 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

"At this rate", Wilma will be a category 4 storm in the next 6-12 hours. How long the storm can continue deepening at such a rate remains to be seen, though.

I know, Thunder... I was just reposting what Accuweather stated.

One thing we should keep in mind... several times, rapid intensification is followed by a leveling off, or even a rapid weakening trend. It's like a ballerina spinning rapidly. As she contracts, she spins faster, but when she finally topples over, she stops spinning. The analogy is not perfect of course, and it's likely that Wilma will only gradually weaken due to westerly shear once she gets into the SE GOM. Just something to watch for as we stay out of the way of yet another monster hurricane in 2005.

--------------------
Hugh

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Vortex message [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58860 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:08 AM

Well, a couple of days ago I wrote on this forum that Wilma is here to stay, and will probally strengthen to a CAT4 or possible a CAT5. After looking at all the observations, and trends of storms in the area of the CARIB, and the very warm SST's along her track, well it is only obvious what would take place. These were only my word for discussion. But I guess if you are not a MET on this site, comments that would indicate such a storm to develope, goes to the GRAVEYARD like my observations and comments 2 days ago. Well, look at how many people on this forum have commented now, over 215 for this storm. I guess I will continue to watch Wilma as she continues to grow more and more each day. We on this forum must be allowed with no fear of getting the graveyard by saying or calling things the way we happen to seee it. These are only our interpertation of what the atmosphere is doing. This is a serious storm not to take likely. Those on the West Coast as I said in my previous comment which was graveyard, to heed all the warnings now. I don't wish anything on anyone for any particular area of this great land of our. We must be free to say and comment as hobbyist's to give discussion on any storm but keeping within the boundaries as stated.

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 19 2005 12:21 AM)

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Accuweather Post [Re: Hugh]
      #58861 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:08 AM

Okay, they agree with the NHC. That's what they've been predicting since the 5am advisory. So much for a low-end cat II, huh? Sheesh.
Does Max have any hair left?
Here's what my prediction for tomorrow's activities will be:
1) Governer Bush will sign a State of Emergency so that the state and local EOC's can begin preparations and the National Guard can be put on alert. Later on, President Bush will declare Florida a Federal Disaster area.

2) Voluntary evacuations will go into effect tomorrow night and mandatory evacuations begin Thursday sometime...depending on the estimated arrival of landfall.
3) The media windfall will begin with CNN, MSNBC, FNC and gas prices will begin to rise again, so fill up your tanks tomorrow if you live ANYWHERE in Florida. Everything else going on in the world will be forgotten as Florida braces for what could be "a devastating storm" (media term) tearing up a good portion of the state of Florida. Reporters will prepare themselves to be thrown into trees, cars, windows, etc., while claiming "this is just the beginning, folks".

4) No one will watch Jim Cantore or the WC because they don't create enough panic out there.

The above scenarios are not all that unlikely, given what we are seeing tonight with Wilma. All of them make sense ...with the exception of #3, of course. I am getting very concerned with the rapid intensification of Wilma and how she will be able to grow over the next days. I surely hope that people ALL ALONG the Florida peninsula from coast to coast are preparing for this storm. I don't like the wording that the NHC is using. It's nerve-wracking.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79105

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center