F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Accuweather Post [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58862 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:12 AM

The 23:45 IR of the CDO is just incredible:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Vortex message [Re: Hugh]
      #58863 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:12 AM

I wouldn't be too sure of that, Hugh. Katrina managed to stay a Cat 5 for almost 2 days...and barely weakened upon landfall. Of course, I'm HOPING it will weaken, I'm just not all that sure it will happen given this season's track record.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Vortex message [Re: The Force 2005]
      #58864 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

We on this forum must be allowed with no fear of getting the graveyard by saying or calling things the way we happen to seee it.

No you musnt. The ability to post on this site whatever you want to is NOT A GIVEN. The admins and mods have the right to tell you what you can post and when. There must be a lot of people related on this site as they all make the same mistakes when posting...

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Category 2 [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58865 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:15 AM

She's officially a Category 2 storm now at the 8pm update.

100kt winds.
954mb pressure (which should be cat 3 normally).

She's got excellent IR presentation with a clearly defined eye surrounded by deep, intense convection.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
      #58866 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:15 AM

I would love to see your graveyarded post. Is there any other reason it might have benn sent to the great hurricane in the heavens?

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Accuweather Post [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58867 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:16 AM

Holy Cow~ That's not just incredible, it's unbelievable! I wouldn't be surprised if we have a "Special Update" before the next scheduled advisory.
It's a beautiful sight, I just wish it was a fish-spinner.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Vortex message [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58868 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:18 AM

You did not read my post correctly. I was saying that when posters post using everything available to observe conditions surrounding a storm and making a comment for discussion, is that when you say CAT4/5 or the strength of a storm that it gets critisized and or dumped to the graveyard.. That is what I was trying to convey.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58869 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:18 AM

plenty of reasons, and you can see them. they are in the graveyard which is a completely different forum on this site. when you go there, make sure you have on your sound, it is quite funny.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Accuweather Post [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58870 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:18 AM

Its absolutely amazing. As I said before, I have never seen a CDO so intense before, ever. My god. This thing is strengthening at an absolutely incredible pace.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: Hugh]
      #58871 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:19 AM

Wilma maintaning her strength after this rapid intensification cycle is not a given. Storms like this that travel to higher latitudes this time of year often meet with dry air penetration and fronts, causing a fair amount of weakening.

We should all just remain vigilante and watch the projected path and intensity forecasts. It is still a good distance and time away.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Vortex message [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58872 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:21 AM

I for on Pam in volusia think that the force 2005 made a reasonable and intelligent statement. However I have noticed that you are like a rubberband waiting to snap sometimes. I dont think there was anything wrong with his post. Try and be a little less critical!

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #58873 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:24 AM

I belive it was sent to the graveyard, because I had commented on the fact that Wilma, which wasn't classified a storm yet, was saying that Wilma would become a storm, hurricane and possibly a CAT4/5 hurricane in about 5 days. Rhis was based on current conditions, looking at trends of prior hurricanes and the very deep warm SST's. That is all. But I must have scared someone for such a post to be graveyard.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58874 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:25 AM

Well, Force, I read your posts. I see your insight now, but posting on this board is a privledge, not a right. You can't tell a cop that he's wrong or does not share your opinionion and he is wrong without risking a ticket.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Vortex message [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58875 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:28 AM

Thank You

The Force!!!

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
      #58876 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:31 AM

I read the last 5 posts and looks as though they may be sent to the graveyard, so i may as well jump on board...LOL....

Force - I don't think your post scared someone and thats why it was sent away...maybe it was because of the speculation, especially when your prediction, 5-6 days out, didn't jive with any of the current info from the NHC. They never said anything about a possible cat 4 or cat 5....thats probably why they 86'd your post. You guys should know that these people want factual information or else they will delete it. I don't have a problem with you Force.....just adding why i think they got rid of your post.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #58877 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:32 AM

As I recall, this is a site for open discussion. My comments are there for such discussion. If there are posters on this site, that somehow get affected by what is being said or commenting on, then we as all posters on this site are should look at the very essence of why we are here. We love the weather and the storms it creates.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Check This Out... [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #58878 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:34 AM

..because it could be *key* as to whether Wilma takes a turn to the NE further north or further south:

NOAA WV Loop for Western US

You'll see there are two features twirling...one just exiting near Nevada and one near the Gulf of Alaska. If these two can get together, they will push Wilma further to the south. If they do not, Wilma will make her turn later, moving it further up the western coast of Florida. I've heard that like 100 times tonight on TV, but I wanted to show the link. It's pretty neat. However, to my untrained eye, it does not appear to me that they have any chance of meeting up. Does anyone else see a chance of that happening?

--------------------

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #58879 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:34 AM

back to basics, in looking at the 18Z GFS and GFDL it looks as tho both of them have moved further north from the 12Z, interesting...

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Accuweather Post [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58880 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:35 AM

Good heavens. I leave for home a 6pm and get home about 7:15, grab something to eat, console kitty, run to the computer, and find a dramatic drop in pressure, and a very striking CDO. The symmetry of the bands in the 23:15Z is beautiful (on WV), with two symmetric commas of cold cloudtops in the CDO (I had to zoom in and keep looking at it!), and the jump in the size of convection from 22:45Z to 23:45Z is amazing.

Now the compactness of the central core, with the dry air partially separating it from the feeder bands, becomes an advantage, and it can quickly turn into a small buzzsaw of a storm. Wonder if pressure is still dropping like a rock.

Well this throws off my analysis. If she's going to ramp up this fast now, I expect an ERC to throw a wrench in the works by the time she gets to the deeper warm water tomorrow.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Vortex message [Re: damejune2]
      #58881 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:36 AM

I'll jump on too!

I think the issue is non-backed up info. You posted that you believed the storm would hit Cat 4/5. That is all fine and good based on what the GFDL model was doing at the time, the problem is you didn't specify that you might have looked at the GFDL or indicated how SSTs would effect the storm strength, or whether there would be favorable atmospheric conditions, etc. If you give evidence to back up your acsertation, then the posts generally get left. If you don't, then the posts generally are sent to the graveyard as either "wishcasting" or "uncorroborated worry-mongering" - you get the idea .

End result: If you're going to say something's going to become a monster, you better say why you feel that way based on conditions and/or models. In the same manner, one should do the same if they think a monster is going to dissipate to nothing before landfall. Anything that is well off of guidence needs some logic behind it, or it is usually graveyarded (just from what I've seen at least).

--RC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79120

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center