F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Ron Basso]
      #59692 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:45 PM

Is it really a strong trough or not? I thought it missed it? H-ll- im totally confused now. Is the thing moving north or not?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TomKuhn

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
My Rant [Re: Clark]
      #59693 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get an issue I have off my chest. As a follower of this site for two years, I want to say thank you for all the great, informative information given. I always know that I can turn to this site for real information and analysis of any weather systems that could be a threat to human life. No one is always right, and no one is always wrong, but the sharing of information between one another in a public forum is more powerful and informative than any weatherman's prediction available. Just try posting in the National Electric Code Forum(NEC) for an example of this the type of secretive, non idea sharing, close minded people. That does not happen here, as everone has a voice. Thank you again.

Onto the meat...

The issue that really troubles me is the local new media and their "I know Everything" attitude. As a local in Orlando, this morning I got bombarded by the "know it all weatherman", who tells me (And every other listener) "This is going to be a South Florida Event...we will get rain and some wind...", or other nonsense that leaves people with an undue sense of confidence that this storm will NOT be knocking on their back doors in a weeks time. This in turn causes a lack of preparedness that is needed by everyone. This mornings newcast had Wilma's track plotted out all the way passed the Bahamas and up the east coast (The latest GFDL model would have suprised them). There was an assuring tone in the voice that Central Florida would be spared any destruction. I am not asking for weather people to be completely vague, but let the listener know "...This is the current MODELED projected path...it could change...Watch the cone...We do not know everything..."

Thats it,

Tom

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #59694 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:46 PM

18Z GFDL still slows the system near the Yucutan, but does not stall it like the 12Z run did. It connects Wilma with the trough and has the system into the Keys/SW Florida at around 102 hours and near Rhode Island at 126 hours, moving N at 53 knots at the end of the forecast!
It is more similar to the previous runs before the 12Z run, albeit slower to bring it into Florida.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #59696 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:48 PM

I go from Dennis Phillips saying he thinks it will be a ft.myers landfall to no Fl landfall at all. I'll tell you what this is really bizarre. Maybe theres just to much media hype.. and early panick predictions..

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #59697 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:49 PM

Well the panic many got from the GFDL model going inland across the Yucatan then slwoly east has changed as of the new 0z run. It now takes it back through the Yucatan channel and across southern Florida and up the eastern seaboard.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #59698 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:49 PM

Remember that the 5pm update included points moved west to accomodate the GFDL and points further south for the same reason. They were placed where they were to be close enough to still verify well for the next 24 hours until the "bubble" of uncertainty had passed.

Therefore, I'd expect that as Wilma approached the first of these points, she would be where expected at 11am, or North and East of these points (or at least East since she has slowed somewhat).

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: tpratch]
      #59701 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:53 PM

yes and she does seem to be running like that as of now, if the "trend" (if it is one) continues then she will be east and north of the NHC forcast points
also it does seem that wunderground computer models are showing the GFDL run to be back in line now...... verrrry interesting
peace

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Joe]
      #59702 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:54 PM

Quote:

Well the panic many got from the GFDL model going inland across the Yucatan then slwoly east has changed as of the new 0z run. It now takes it back through the Yucatan channel and across southern Florida and up the eastern seaboard.

The BAMM has not changed (yet) that I can tell,though.

Well, the 8pm advisory is out - status quo for now until a new recon.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Joe]
      #59703 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:56 PM

The 'parent' model of the GFDL (the GFS) did not change that much from its last run, so the variation in GFDL output from run to run indicates that small differences could have a huge effect on the eventual track. The overall predictability of this scenario seems marginal at best, so there will likely be some uncertainty to deal with for awhile. Whether or not Wilma actually makes landfall in the Yucutan or not would make a huge difference on the eventual intensity as well, so the intensity forecast is even more uncertain, since it hinges on an uncertain forecast track, not to mention ERCs.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Thu Oct 20 2005 12:01 AM)

Ned
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: W.Coast Fl.
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Ron Basso]
      #59704 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:56 PM

Quote:

The last 3 hour loop shows a solid NW movement - just as most models have predicted. I expect this storm to pretty much follow the synoptic pattern with movement through the YUC Channel and curving toward the NE for an impact somewhere between the Keys and Tampa. There has been absolutely nothing to change the forecast reasoning today. We will begin to narrow landfall predictions with good certainty tomorrow. Like I said earlier, one odd model run with no other globals following it, no worries - I dont buy the slowing down either - not with a fairly strong trough picking this storm up.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

small sines,stays south,Keys

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #59705 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:59 PM

The GFDL is back into realism again:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #59706 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:01 AM

when was that updated?

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Hugh]
      #59707 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The BAMM has not changed (yet) that I can tell,though.

Well, the 8pm advisory is out - status quo for now until a new recon.

Honestly speaking, after reading the pros opinions here and elsewhere, I think I'm not going to get excited about the final turn until I see the runs after the data from tommorrow's recon runs by the high altitude and regular missions.

Just me and my opinion. I'm prepping and everyone in Western Florida should also.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
      #59708 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Is it really a strong trough or not? I thought it missed it? H-ll- im totally confused now. Is the thing moving north or not?

The trough is still over the great plains moving east. This trough and ULL will break down the ridge over the western GOM allowing Wilma to move more NW and eventually north over the next 48 hours. Wilma has moved to the NW over the last 5 hours or so & appears to be following most model projections aiming for a passage near the NE tip of the YUC Pen. No real change in the synoptic features - of course timing is everything but I don't see anything to change the projected landfall somewhere from Tampa to the Keys on late SAT or Sun.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellit...amp;duration=10

--------------------
RJB

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #59710 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:05 AM

it ran at 2330 z

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #59711 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:08 AM

Quote:

The GFDL is back into realism again:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

Yes but the last run before the outlier had it going to Sanibel/Charlotte Harbor. Now it's over Flamingo. Big difference for those of us in SWFL.

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: evergladesangler]
      #59712 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:11 AM

I wonder about that LBAR run. Very bizzare how far north it is tracking.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: Ned]
      #59713 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:13 AM

That's really difficult to determine since the eye has been, and still is performing, some rather interesting mini-loops along a generally WNW path. Also, the 5PM Discussion stated that the forecast confidence is considerably less than prior discussions. A lot depends on the strength of the mid-lat low/trough and its speed. Whether that will actually pick up Wilma is now a subject for debate. Right now it's a crap shoot.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: My Rant [Re: TomKuhn]
      #59714 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:13 AM

gotta love know-it-alls. Almost makes up for us know-nuttin's. The way is working i know less wiith every hour.

Update on the Treasure Coast is we're planning for a not insignificant impact. We're opening 8 shelters in 2 counties for 0800 saturday morning. We're planning for and expecting a mostly wind event of 80mph-100mph or so. The question is how much interaction with the Yucatan will impact the wind field, intensity, etc.

we'll see how the 2300 update looks and what tomorow brings. We did take a vote at the ARC chapter today and decided to cancel the hurricane.....

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Wilma Continued [Re: MikeC]
      #59716 - Thu Oct 20 2005 12:17 AM

My thought earlier was that the trough wasent going to dig that much south.But know that the GFDL is up the land fall really seems to be florida.Somewhere form tampa to key west. I in my opinion see a land fall by where Charley made landfall by punta gorda.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 216 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center