F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
swimaway19
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Safety Harbor, FL
Re: Movement [Re: Lance Wilson]
      #59946 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:43 AM

Is the A98 model a statistical model like the LBAR? They both seem to be outliers taking it right to Tampa

http://skeetobiteweather.com/picservice.asp?t=m&m=24

--------------------
Chris
Swim Away, Swim Far Away....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Movement [Re: swimaway19]
      #59947 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:58 AM

You can really make out a well defined outer eyewall: http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ATL/24L.WILMA/tmi/tmi_85h/1degreeticks/thumb/Latest.html

(this image is more than 6 hours old, unfortunately)

Both WV and IR are showing a rather impressive seperation line appearing between the convection around the inner eye and the area inside the outer eye. It appears that the outer eye has established itself and that it is just a matter of time before the inner eye and associated convection vanishes.

bigbelly

Reged:
Re: Movement [Re: swimaway19]
      #59948 - Thu Oct 20 2005 09:59 AM

before commenting on the Models, make sure that you pay attention to the times. as only the GFDL and UKMET have the 5am data. A98 and LBAR were created at 00:39

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Movement [Re: bigbelly]
      #59949 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:02 AM

Here is the models. The time date is in the legend at the top:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Movement [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #59951 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:21 AM

Looking at the water vapor loop right now... I see something kind of interesting. Depending upon where the new eye settles in when the ERC is completed, we could see Wilma go from a 2nm pinhole eye at its maxima yesterday, to a huge eye later today. The storm appears right now to have extremely cold cloud tops in the outer bands of a doughnut-like structure, with an inner rim, and then a doughnut hole inside that inner rim. As thge doughnut hole (deep convection where the eye used to be) collapses, we could see the new eye take over there, and encompass the entire area... which would then be followed by a contraction of the then-large eye. The cyclic rotation of the LLC within this "doughnut" structure continues even this morning.

What does not continue - what has never developed, in fact - is the northward movement. In fact, most of the models I find now show landfall over the Yucatan. I find that VERY unsettling, because it is a sign to me that the first trough may indeed miss Wilma, and a second trough may be required to push the storm out of the GOM. Where that second trough sets up and where it ultimately deposits Wilma, I just don't know. The models say south Florida, but I still don't have confidence in that much of a right hook.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Changes [Re: danielw]
      #59952 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

Other than the Keys. Has anyone heard any additional evacuation plans from the counties?

Daniel the only other one I am aware of is Cape Coral here in Lee County. They have called for voluntary evacuations of low-lying neighborhoods and mobile homes.

Here is a link to our NBC station's website, with a list of evacuation information, cancellations, and closings, for many Southwest Florida counties

http://www.nbc-2.com/Wilma-Details.shtml

They also have emergency phone numbers listed, and all kinds of useful information for anyone in Southwest Florida.

KiminCanada
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Changes [Re: MissBecky]
      #59954 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:31 AM

Do you all agree with the new 5 day cone....being up near Virginia on Tues now instead of Monday???

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
      #59955 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:31 AM

Very interesting that it has not made the northerly turn yet. This does not bode well for the Yucatan and Cozumel. Reeasoning on the track will undoubtedlu change today. What are the chances of a more northerly Florida landfall even later in the petiod than Monday?

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Changes [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #59956 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:49 AM

006Z Models from CSU. I noticed the 00Z suite of globals are indicating a stall and then a second trough picking up the storm. I may have to eat crow based on my thoughts yesterday. Pretty fluid situation though with the ERC and interaction with the westerlies. In wait and see mode but certianly looks as of now that extreme S FL may be hit hardest by this storm. There is one model (and it's not the LBAR!) that brings it through Tampa - the Navy's version of the GFDL (GFNL).

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

--------------------
RJB

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Changes [Re: Ron Basso]
      #59957 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:53 AM

Interesting disco by the HPC this a.m. Worth a read:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/preepd/preepd.html

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Changes [Re: Ron Basso]
      #59958 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:54 AM

6z GFS now keeps her offshore the Yucatan, has her hit SW Florida near Naples and exits her just east of Lake Okeechobee near Stuart. I believe this is a slight shift north for the GFS. The key here is she's a bit slower, even moving offshore Florida. Also, the fact that it keeps her off the peninsula of the Yucatan could allow her to retain her strong structure. Avila alluded to her possibly not making landfall in his discussion ("heading toward the Yucatan.....for now"). Still pretty darned interesting. Cheers!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Changes [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #59959 - Thu Oct 20 2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

Very interesting that it has not made the northerly turn yet. This does not bode well for the Yucatan and Cozumel. Reeasoning on the track will undoubtedlu change today. What are the chances of a more northerly Florida landfall even later in the petiod than Monday?

I'm more convinced than ever that any turn to the north won't happen until or very near landfall, or even after landfall. Looking at the overall pattern in the area, there are signs of a turn to the north I think, but they are over the BOC and the western Yucatan. This would go along with the GFNI's latest run mostly... and put Tampa in ground zero.

The cold cloud tops in the old eyewall are collapsing as I write this... unless something changes, new, 40nm eye should be formed by the 11am ET advisory, I think - which would fit in the 12-18 hour timeframe that an ERC should last. What's that mean? Cancun could experience a cat 5 hurricane.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Spring Hill FL
A forecast [Re: Hugh]
      #59960 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:11 AM

I am a complete and total amateur and have never done this before, but colleagues in my office have heard me talk about the time I spend on this site and another site and frequently ask for my opinion on what will happen with a storm. Yesterday morning, I sent an e-mail to the office with my first forecast. I will send the following e-mail today:

Wilma forecast---10/20

No reason to change yesterday's forecast of Sunday Cat 2 landfall between Ft. Myers and Naples, based on a brush with the Yucatan, some slowing and weakening before the right turn, and increasing shear and cooler water on the path to Florida. Two IF's---If the entire center of circulation landfalls on the Yucatan, there could be even more weakening and slowing, allowing more time for the other weather patterns to push a Cat 1 further south toward the Keys on Monday. OTOH, if the storm makes a more substantial northward turn today and the center misses the Yucatan entirely, it could track farther north with less weakening before turning northeast and east. That could mean a Cat 3 landfall late Sunday/early Monday between Sarasota and Ft. Myers. More model divergence today than yesterday, due to lack of north turn so far and uncertainty about timing and Yucatan landfall effects, but will stick with the 10/19 prediction as still consistent with the midpoint of the more reliable models.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Clermont, Fl
Re: A forecast [Re: flarrfan]
      #59961 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:21 AM

make darn sure to add to the note that you are only giving your own OPINION and that everyone should tune into the NHC for accuarte forecasts.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
      #59962 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:22 AM

Collier County called for voluntary evacs of those in low lying areas and mobile homes on Thursday. I believe I heard this morning that Sanibel had done the same. The Collier County Commission is meeting in emergency session at 3 this afternoon and I am sure they will declare a state of emergency and announce other plans at that time. Naples Daily News has an excellent site at www.naplesnews.com.

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Changes [Re: Steve H1]
      #59963 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

6z GFS now keeps her offshore the Yucatan, has her hit SW Florida near Naples and exits her just east of Lake Okeechobee near Stuart. I believe this is a slight shift north for the GFS. The key here is she's a bit slower, even moving offshore Florida. Also, the fact that it keeps her off the peninsula of the Yucatan could allow her to retain her strong structure. Avila alluded to her possibly not making landfall in his discussion ("heading toward the Yucatan.....for now"). Still pretty darned interesting. Cheers!!

I think we need to be consider the GFS of course but we have not seen real consistency for the last 18 hours so i think we need a two more runs of a consistent solution with regards to the american model, That said, i really like waht NHC has been doing since the wacky GFS run which is keep the ideathey ad with subtle changes. Very interesting day ahead with the GFS and GFDL. other models have not had such big differences.

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Changes [Re: KC]
      #59964 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:42 AM

From the Treasure Coast it is expected that Indian River County, the City of Vero Beach and St Lucie counties will declare local state of emergency sometime later today. Although the 0500 updates have us being impacted sunday as opposed to saturday. Stll subject to change of course!

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Changes [Re: Sheeper]
      #59965 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:47 AM

6z GFDL now inching north slightly. Has it exit the east coast near 27.4N/79.5W. Not sure exactly where on the west coast it landfalls since I'm not familiar with the Lat/Long on the SW coast of florida.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Clermont, Fl
      #59966 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:49 AM

where are you finding the 6Z? Post link please!

thanks

stay dry with your feet firmly on the ground

e

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #59967 - Thu Oct 20 2005 11:51 AM

Misread that post.

Edited by charlottefl (Thu Oct 20 2005 11:53 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59903

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center