F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: Margie]
      #61417 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:11 PM

The Cancun radar took a long time to update. However, the new pic looks like it has moved north and the COC is starting into Cancun. I can't imagine what is happening there.

http://flhurricane.com/imageanimator.php?12

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TinaB
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: TampaSu]
      #61418 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Tina - I'm a Tampa resident also, and I happen to agree with you. We are ready to implement our plan... if necessary. Remember Charlie? It missed us at the last minute. That could happen again, but in the opposite direction. Bottom line - we don't know until we know - and that's not until after it's come and gone! Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst...

Hi TampaSu...Yea, I think alot of us Tampa residents who follow these things and don't poo-poo our chances of a hit are thinking the same thing. We had three trees go down last year...and it didn't take hurricane force winds to do it. Heck, we've lost tree limbs in one of our typical summer thunderstorms! Sure we won't suffer complete destruction like with a Katrina, but those tornadoes can be scarier than a hurricane any day. I'm praying!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: TinaB]
      #61419 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:15 PM

I think the "cone of error" is there for a reason...because there could be (and usually are) errors on the exact point of landfall. If you are in the "cone", you should be prepared whether people laugh at you or not. This has been reiterated again and again and again by the NHC, the NWS, etc. It may do exactly what they are projecting it to do and it may wobble north or south of where they think the most likely point of landfall will be. A rule of thumb that I live by is that until it passes your lat/lon, you are not out of the woods by any means and should be prepared. Unfortunately, Charley was the best example of this last year when he made his sharp right hand turn into Punta Gorda at the last minute and some people were shocked. There are so many different variable with a storm that you don't really know what's going to happen until it actually does happen.

Since I have recently been accused by a member (whose identity I will not disclose out of respect to him/her) by a PM of wish-casting this storm (and apparantly every other storm for the last year) to come to Tampa, I wanted to clear something up: if people have thought that by my saying I thought it would come in further north that I was wishcasting it to Tampa, that is not what I intended. What was intended in my posts what that this storm could still come further north than Naples -- most likely Ft. Myers if that WAS to happen. I certainly hope this clarifies this issue for anyone who read my posts and thought I was wishcasting a storm anywhere.

Now...onto the weather we can expect on Monday/Tuesday (whenever it finally decides to arrive), the cold front that is supposed to push Wilma southward will collide with Wilma and that will cause some ugly weather to rear it's ugly head. So just stay alert and tuned in and watch for any conditions that are threatening to you or your family.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: TampaSu]
      #61420 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:16 PM

I just hope people aren't being a little too cavalier about what would happen if this hits Tampa. We're still not out of the woods and downtown Tampa is ill-prepared to deal with the storm surge. If a storm threatens this area, they have to shut power down to the entire downtown grid because it will be flooded and if power isn't cut when the water comes in, it obviously creates all sorts of problems. Here is a link for interactive graphics showing what will happen if a hurricane hits the bay. One of the interactives shows what areas will be under water with each category of storm from "just" a TS to a Cat 5.

http://tbo.com/hurricane2005/worstcase/

Bottom line is that Wilma has a lot of water to cross before it gets to FL and anything can happen. The forecast is based upon a lot of what "should" happen with these fronts, not systems that are already in place, so...nothing is certain at all.

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: emackl]
      #61421 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

The Cancun radar took a long time to update. However, the new pic looks like it has moved north and the COC is starting into Cancun. I can't imagine what is happening there.

http://flhurricane.com/imageanimator.php?12

You're right it's moving ENE now. I don't see how it ever makes it far enough north to hit north of Everglades City.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: evergladesangler]
      #61422 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:19 PM

From cancun travel online site (italics mine):

Just finishing translation of a short briefing issued by Governor of Quintana Roo about Cozumel.

COZUMEL Q.ROO

"The first point of impact in Quintana Roo and for that matter Mexico was the Island Of Cozumel located off the coast of Quintana Roo near the resort destination of Playa Del Carmen. "Wilma" came across Cozumel as a Category 4 Hurricane causing massive devestation according to preliminary information I am receiving"

"The Civil Protection from Quintana Roo is reporting that the winds took down and caused severe damage to houses and businesses including those that had protection and re-inforcement against Hurricanes ."

Additionally Signs, posts, electrical poles were blown away and some vehicles were overturned and swept away as well.

The Principal streets and avenues are flooded with waters of 4 to 5 feet and there are dozens of boats with damage. There was also a that washed almost a mile of highway into the ocean on the "backend of the Island"

As of right now officials in Cozumel have not reported any serious injuries nor deaths.

The highway they are referring to runs along the mostly undeveloped eastern shore that faces the ocean.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: flarrfan]
      #61423 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:19 PM

Based on the radar, it appears that the center is generally edging to the north, but moving erratically between E and W as it goes.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: TinaB]
      #61424 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:27 PM

You should never rest easy until the storm has dissipated. If you are in the cone of error just be ready to evacuate if necessary.
I noticed Broward Co. is already flooding. The sad thing is Wilma is taking forever to leave the Yucatan. The damage there must be
bad.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61425 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:33 PM

Is there anyone left in Naples or FT Myers? i mean that is where the track has had it going for days now and most likly the place for it to hit and all we hear on here is Tampa Tampa Tampa.Not saying Wishcasting but people saying Tampa is not out of the Woods.That is true but not very likely to happen and yes you have to watch but nobody is talking about the poor people who really are in the path so it makes it look as if Naples has it easy when everyone talks just about tampa.

Does not anyone think it has a shot at Naples anymore? either Tampa or Bust?

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Need some advice.... [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #61426 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:33 PM

i havent been on all morning and dont know whats goin on as of yet....i made hotel reservations for tommorrow and monday night in case it slowed down....we have to cancel by 4pm today if we dont need the room...but we cant afford to just pay for the room if we dont need it....i need some serious advice on what to do....id go with my gut feeling but im torn...and hubby says the same....can you please helppp

becky

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #61427 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:33 PM

Someone mentioned earlier that the outflow seemed to be improving... looks that way to me as well. That will be a factor in favor of short-term intensification IF the inner structure of the storm is still intact when it emerges back over water, whenever that happens.

As it turns out, Wilma came dangerously close to stalling just near or off of the coast, which would have made things even worse for all involved. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

laureg
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #61428 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:35 PM

Fox is reporting that the flooding came from rain last night and that the weather is pretty good today; expecting the flooding to clear up before the storm has any major impact.

Wondering if not now, maybe a later post, if someone can give their opinion as to how the storm might react should it travel over Lake Okeechobee?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: NHC 11 am Discussion [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61429 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:35 PM

God I hate when the " I gotta say it first, predict it first" people come into play on this site and then are critical of someone else's thoughts and wish we could simply block their darn IP. Colleen, I think based on your posts, experience, knowledge, value added to this site, there should not be anybody accusing you of ever wishcasting. I personally respect any cogent insight, opinion you and anyone else bring to the table and believe most here do as well. If anyone were a 100% expert , then these sites would not exist and some folks on here would be in another line of work because it would be so easy for everyone to predict. I have been on this site for a while now and every storm we have someone or a few folks who seem to want to upset the apple cart. If you agree so be it, if you disagree, VALIDATE it. And do not assume that anyone sane would be wishing possible death and destruction on anyone anywhere. Now lets all get along, be safe, happy and healthy and hope for the best for anyone impacted and keep each other informed and thinking, not arguing.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #61430 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:36 PM

Isnt the cold front already making it just north of Tampa?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #61432 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:40 PM

I believe the southern most part (as it relates to florida)of the front is still in the Panhandle, anyone see anything diff?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Edited by Tazmanian93 (Sat Oct 22 2005 04:41 PM)

laureg
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Rdietch]
      #61433 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:40 PM

I would tend to agree with pretty much the majority here. If you are on the west coast of FL, regardless of your city, you need to have a plan, pay attention to the cone and draw your own conclusions for your own safety.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Need some advice.... [Re: FlaMommy]
      #61434 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:42 PM

Quote:

i havent been on all morning and dont know whats goin on as of yet....i made hotel reservations for tommorrow and monday night in case it slowed down....we have to cancel by 4pm today if we dont need the room...but we cant afford to just pay for the room if we dont need it....i need some serious advice on what to do....id go with my gut feeling but im torn...and hubby says the same....can you please helppp

becky

I am in South Bradenton and not Far from the water and i have no Motel Res made at all.If it comes ill go my brothers house down the road which is not a evac for a cat 1-3 storm so unless the track changes i would just be ready but to go to a motel now and be in Tampa is to me IMO a waste of money.Call up and just keep the one for Monday or wait till tomorrow Morning at that time we will have a better grip on where its going.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Rdietch]
      #61435 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:46 PM

Yes - there are people left in Naples and Fort Myers. Lots of them. And they are all paying attention and getting prepared. If you look at the probabilities, Fort Myers and Naples are listed at 24%, Venice at 23% and Tampa at 22%. The point is that much of the west coast of Florida is at risk. This is a very difficult storm with a lot of variables that can still affect the path. I recall questions about Tampa but I guess I missed anyone saying that Wilma was definitely going to Tampa.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #61436 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:48 PM

I'll bet the further down the cold front comes the further the track will shift south. All depends how far down it comes.

lulu

Reged:
Re: Need some advice.... [Re: FlaMommy]
      #61437 - Sat Oct 22 2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

i havent been on all morning and dont know whats goin on as of yet....

becky

Me, neither. I'm in Ft. Myers. We have hotel reservations in Orlando and West Palm. Where should we go? When should we leave? What about tornados? Where is that cold front? Should we just head for (OMIGOD) Georgia? Tornadoes scare me more than hurricanes. And now it's flooding on the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale). Help!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63431

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center